The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Does UV exposure decrease the risk of melanoma?

Forums General Melanoma Community Does UV exposure decrease the risk of melanoma?

Participant

Before reading the link posted below, I am fully aware that there will always be some readers of this forum group that still believe that the SUN causes melanoma…

It's time to get them educated and move forward…

As we learn more about the causes of melanoma , it is becoming a fact that the LACK of sunlight is the biggest cause of melanoma.

Before reading the link posted below, I am fully aware that there will always be some readers of this forum group that still believe that the SUN causes melanoma…

It's time to get them educated and move forward…

As we learn more about the causes of melanoma , it is becoming a fact that the LACK of sunlight is the biggest cause of melanoma.

Sure tanning beds are to blame and rightly so because they are providing the wrong type of  UV's.  What needed to be addressed here is the fact that almost all melanoma's occur on parts of the body that never receive any sun light!  Also that the increase in melanoma is due to the fact that more people never get the benefits of the sun as they are working indoors for their day job and so in my case are working night turn and sleeping during the day!

Below is a link with more up to date info, see:

http://blog.vitamindcouncil.org/2012/03/31/does-UV-exposure-decrease-risk-of-melanoma/

PS. In my opinion every person reading this thread should be tested for the 25-hydroxy vitamin D-3 test.

However, don't wait until it is to late thinking that your oncologist will recommend this test for you.

Best wishes,

Gene

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        Wilfred
        Participant

As a blonde haired, fair skinned,  person aged 67 with metastatic stage 4 melanoma who grew up in the Bahamas before anyone really knew about sunscreen, I can not agree with your assertions. You may yet be proven correct, but I doubt it. If you know of more studies by reputable researchers I would be pleased to see their published results.

Wilfred
          Participant

As a blonde haired, fair skinned,  person aged 67 with metastatic stage 4 melanoma who grew up in the Bahamas before anyone really knew about sunscreen, I can not agree with your assertions. You may yet be proven correct, but I doubt it. If you know of more studies by reputable researchers I would be pleased to see their published results.

Wilfred
            Participant

Webbie73
              Participant
                So, Gene, explain how a women age 61, who never used sunscreen as a child or young adult( sunscreen was not available back than) gets melanoma. I certain got enough sun exposure with vit. D. Do you believe melanoma is all a hereditary mutation?
                  Gene_S
                  Participant

RE: I certain got enough sun exposure with vit. D.

Was this as a child or currently?  Have you had a vitamin D-3 test lately?

RE:  Do you believe melanoma is all a hereditary mutation?

I don't believe so, at least  not in my case. I am the first one to

get melanoma in my family. I am convinced that my melanoma was caused

by a lack of sunlight since I worked over 40 years at night and slept

during the day. I also believe that my treatment is being helped along

with the high dosage of vitamin D-3 that I am taking. The testing range for vitamin D-3

is 0 to 30 too low, 30 to 70 normal and 80 to 100 high. It is suggested that ALL cancer

patients be in the high range. My last test I was a 90!

Another concern is sugar in ones diet. see:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7403942n&tag=contentBody;storyMediaBox

Gene_S
                    Participant

with the high dosage of vitamin D-3 that I am taking. The testing range for vitamin D-3

is 0 to 30 too low, 30 to 70 normal and 80 to 100 high. It is suggested that ALL cancer

Webbie73
                      Participant
                        I have limit my sugar intake and have done so for many years. LOL empty calories! As for getting vit. D I had my levels check and do take a supplement.

My melanoma was started before I was deficient in vit D. I can’t believe a lack of vit D is the cause of melanoma or any other cancer. I do believe it helps fight off the cancer

I have hereditary melanoma…mother’s 2 sister and their mother. Don’t know about my mother. So for me I believe it is sun and hereditary mutation.

I am glad the vit D is helping your treatment. I wish you good health.

Webbie73
                        Participant
                          I have limit my sugar intake and have done so for many years. LOL empty calories! As for getting vit. D I had my levels check and do take a supplement.

My melanoma was started before I was deficient in vit D. I can’t believe a lack of vit D is the cause of melanoma or any other cancer. I do believe it helps fight off the cancer

I have hereditary melanoma…mother’s 2 sister and their mother. Don’t know about my mother. So for me I believe it is sun and hereditary mutation.

Gene_S
                          Participant

"Contrary to what many people are being led to believe, a lot of emphasis placed on genes determining human behavior is nothing but theory and doctrine," writes Konstantin Erikseni .

"We are free to make decisions that impact our lives and those of others. …

Our beliefs can change our biology.

We have the power to heal ourselves, increase our feelings of self-worth and improve our emotional state."

Complete article at:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/04/11/epigenetic-vs-determinism.aspx?e_cid=20120411_DNL_art_1

bcl
                            Participant

Mercola links the following article by quote author  Konstantin Eriksen

http://wakeup-world.com/2012/03/26/the-science-of-epigenetics-how-our-minds-can-reprogram-our-genes/

"About the Author

Konstantin Eriksen is a former stock-trader. After quiting his job, he studied biochemistry and got into natural health and the internal martial arts. He writes the Life Sucks self-improvement blog where you can read his recent post on What Is Happiness?"

http://life-sucks.org/

LIFE IDEAS FOR INTELLIGENT PEOPLE

LIFE SUCKS – THE MATRIX HAS YOU

Have you ever felt that something was wrong with the world as it is? As though the world were full of lies, deceit, bull (EDIT)   politics, dogmatic beliefs, unreality? Have you ever thought “life sucks, I hate life, I don’t belong here” or anything similar? That there was no way to be authentic in this life and get what you want?

That you had to fake it, to falsify yourself for job interviews, bullshit office politics, university life, social clique status? Do you feel that you have to falsify yourself in order to make your relationships successful? Do you have to succumb to social pressure in order to achieve success? Could it be that it’s all hopeless and that happiness is an unreachable ideal? No wonder life sucks! …

I believe that in the midst of this constant stream of pre-programmed gibberish:

We, as individual conscious beings, have the power to come to a crucial realization:

That our own personal web of thoughts could be false as well.

————————————————–

( speehless  )

Gene_S
                              Participant
                                Have you ever wondered WHY hemp is illegal?
                                It's not what you think but it won't surprise you: (read below)

Help spread the word about our next show. We'll talk
                                about the healing power of hemp. Post your comments below:

And, do you know someone suffering with Parkinson's disease?
                                Send them this (simple) article and hopefully it helps:

Join us for the next NaturalNews Talk Hour online or by telephone
                                Exact show details are posted below – help us spread the word!

(2) ways to hear this show – LIVE!

Thu. Apr. 12, 2012 – 9:00 pm (EST) / 6:00 pm (PST)

Phone Number: 760-569-7676

Access Code: 815676#

or listen to our LIVE webcast – use the link below:

Talk soon,
                                Jonathan Landsman, Host
                                NaturalNews Talk Hour
                                Gene_S
                                Participant

Talk soon,
                                  Jonathan Landsman, Host
                                  NaturalNews Talk Hour
                                  Gene_S
                                  Participant

Talk soon,
                                    Jonathan Landsman, Host
                                    NaturalNews Talk Hour
                                    bcl
                                    Participant

http://wakeup-world.com/2012/03/26/the-science-of-epigenetics-how-our-minds-can-reprogram-our-genes/

"About the Author

Konstantin Eriksen is a former stock-trader. After quiting his job, he studied biochemistry and got into natural health and the internal martial arts. He writes the Life Sucks self-improvement blog where you can read his recent post on What Is Happiness?"

Have you ever felt that something was wrong with the world as it is? As though the world were full of lies, deceit, bull (EDIT)   politics, dogmatic beliefs, unreality? Have you ever thought “life sucks, I hate life, I don’t belong here” or anything similar? That there was no way to be authentic in this life and get what you want?

That you had to fake it, to falsify yourself for job interviews, bullshit office politics, university life, social clique status? Do you feel that you have to falsify yourself in order to make your relationships successful? Do you have to succumb to social pressure in order to achieve success? Could it be that it’s all hopeless and that happiness is an unreachable ideal? No wonder life sucks! …

I believe that in the midst of this constant stream of pre-programmed gibberish:

We, as individual conscious beings, have the power to come to a crucial realization:

————————————————–

( speehless  )

bcl
                                      Participant

"About the Author

————————————————–

( speehless  )

Gene_S
                                        Participant

"Contrary to what many people are being led to believe, a lot of emphasis placed on genes determining human behavior is nothing but theory and doctrine," writes Konstantin Erikseni .

We have the power to heal ourselves, increase our feelings of self-worth and improve our emotional state."

Complete article at:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/04/11/epigenetic-vs-determinism.aspx?e_cid=20120411_DNL_art_1

Gene_S
                                          Participant

Complete article at:

Webbie73
                                            Participant

bcl
                                              Participant

"Before reading the link posted below, I am fully aware that there will always be some readers of this forum group that still believe that the SUN causes melanoma…

It's time to get them educated and move forward… "

" I also believe that my treatment is being helped along with the high dosage of vitamin D-3 that I am taking."

In this effort to get us 'educated'   you appear to be promoting Sun exposure (not tanning beds) , yet you are taking high dose D -3. ( Do you see the irony or am I the only one… )

bcl
                                                Participant

"Before reading the link posted below, I am fully aware that there will always be some readers of this forum group that still believe that the SUN causes melanoma…

" I also believe that my treatment is being helped along with the high dosage of vitamin D-3 that I am taking."

In this effort to get us 'educated'   you appear to be promoting Sun exposure (not tanning beds) , yet you are taking high dose D -3. ( Do you see the irony or am I the only one… )

bcl
                                                  Participant

Gene_S
                                                    Participant

Since I live where the sun doesn't shine enough to be beneficial, the vitamin D-3 supplements are necessary!

IMHO, it's time to stop all the myths that the sun is bad for you!  The sun has great healing powers. Read the following carefully:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/06/11/New-Model-Of-Cancer-Development-Vitamin-D-is-the-Key.aspx

Best wishes,

Gene

bcl
                                                      Participant

regarding getting educated, please read the following discussion carefully (  the author is a medical professional writing on his blog about Mercola  )

the rest is here –http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2012/02/joe_mercola_proof_positive_that_quackery.php

"…..Dr. Oz asked him whether he didn't have a conflict of interest because he makes money selling all these "natural" remedies. A lot of money. Mercola's response, you might recall, was in essence that it was OK because he was selling only "natural" products, that he didn't sell anything the first three years of his website's existence, and that he believes in what he sells. Never mind the quackery like Tullio Simoncini's claim that all cancer is due to a fungus and that all cancer can be cured with baking soda.

Now here's the most depressing part. Remember how I said I was bummed out to have the differential in influence between various science-based medicine websites and that of someone like Dr. Mercola:

According to traffic-tracking firm Quantcast, Mercola.com draws about 1.9 million unique visitors per month, each of whom returns an average of nearly ten times a month. That remarkable "stickiness" puts the site's total visits on a par with those to the National Institutes of Health's website. (Mercola claims his is "the world's No. 1 natural health website," citing figures from Alexa.com.) Mercola's 200,000-plus "likes" on Facebook are more than double the number for WebMD. And two of his eight books–2003's The No-Grain Diet and 2006's The Great Bird Flu Hoax–have landed on the New York Times bestseller list.

That's right. Mercola's website has traffic equivalent to that of the NIH website. Think about that for a second. On one side, we have a reliable, science-based website (well, except for the NCCAM section). On the other side, we have a quack website. Both get the same traffic.

One thing the article nails is the root of Mercola's appeal to the gullible. First, he taps into the distrust of government and institutions that is so prevalent today. His messages of "don't trust the government" and "don't trust pharmaceutical companies" resonate in our Tea Party-infused time. Mercola, as we have seen, is a master at this, and his followers lap it up. Second, he's, as the article says, a "gifted marketer." That much is true. Mercola even says he studied marketing, and it shows:

If there were any doubt about the importance of marketing to the operation, it was dispelled when I was given a quick tour of Mercola's sprawling headquarters. The lobby of Dr. Mercola's Natural Health Center looks like the kind of well-appointed suburban office where you'd expect vanity procedures such as face-lifts to be offered. As it turns out, only one short hallway is dedicated to patient services. "Marketing and customer service take up most of the rest," a new-patient coordinator told me.

Based on what I know about Mercola, that sounds about right. One little section of his empire devoted to actual patient care, the rest all devoted to marketing and fulfilling online orders. That's very telling and entirely consistent with Mercola's behavior. He might have been a real doctor at one time, but in 2012 he exists only to enrich himself by selling a mixture of the unremarkable, the unproven, and what I consider to be quackery. Certainly the archive of articles on his website is a treasure trove of quackery, antivaccine rants, quack apologia, and rants against the government and big pharma, interspersed with videos and radio interviews, and more. Truly, it's a multimedia empire of woo. Whenever anyone criticizes him, he invokes the "pharma shill" gambit:

I can see things that are just obvious and clear to me. I don't need 30 more years of science to support it. Am I wrong sometimes? Sure. Everyone's wrong [sometimes]. . . . People call me a snake-oil salesman, of course. They're free to do that.

Consider this Orac exercising his freedom to do just that. After all, Mercola just said he didn't mind."

——————————————————————————————————————————————

Dr Cannell from the Vitamin D Council shares a similar conviction..

. "In implying physicians should not act until scientists conclusively prove a point, Professor Gilchrest misses the point. Sometimes physicians must act before scientists conclusively prove a point. Physicians can't wait. Scientists can wait." http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/news-archive/2006/professor-barbara-gilchrest/

About the Vitamin D Councilhttp://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-us/

The Vitamin D Council is a nonprofit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) educational corporation in the State of California, founded in 2003 by Executive Director John J. Cannell, M.D., on the conviction that humans all over the world are needlessly suffering from vitamin D deficiency.

Our mission

Our mission is to end the worldwide vitamin D deficiency epidemic by means of outreach and awareness, treatment, research and activism.

Our approach

Outreach and awareness

Our foremost goal is to reach out, bring awareness and educate the general populace, the health industry, and policy makers on the importance of vitamin D. We bridge the gap between the latest peer-reviewed research on the health implications of vitamin D and the general populace, the health industry and policy makers.

Treatment

We believe every human ought to know their own vitamin D status and how they can effectively treat deficiency or insufficiency and maintain healthy vitamin D levels. We strive to educate the public on the measures they can take to treat their vitamin D deficiency.

Research

Peer-reviewed research on vitamin D and its association to various diseases and illnesses is the driving force behind our actions, and an area we closely monitor to best serve the public. There is an unprecedented amount of clinical research being conducted on vitamin D today, and we work hard to objectively process this information and bring it to the public’s attention in a quick and efficient manner.

Activism

With the quantity of research currently being conducted on vitamin D, evidence on the importance of this prohormo is outpacing the decision making of governments and agencies. The Vitamin D Council routinely makes recommendations to appropriate governmental agencies, in effort to educate policy makers and make an impact in their policy decision making.

Our funding http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-us/our-funding/

Foundations and organizations

….The Vitamin D Council receives support from:

The Vitamin D Council is actively seeking further support from foundations and organizations. We hope to receive program support from these sources in the near future.

If you are a foundation or organization and are interested in the possibility of supporting the work that we do, please email Brant Cebulla at [email protected].

Our current sponsors are:

The ESB Enterprise link goes to  MERCOLA.COM's  TANNING BED Sales area. http://tanningbeds.mercola.com/tanning-beds/standup-tanning-systems.aspx?aid=CD353 )

——————————————————————————————————————————–

Tanning industry's Vitamin D " industry links"

US

http://smarttan.com/industry-links

Industry Links

"These links should provide you with resources from throughout the vitamin D community and the tanning industry. If we've overlooked an important source, please e-mail [email protected]."

———————————–

Canada

http://www.tancanada.org/info.php

Website Links

Vitamin D Society

—————————————

who is it who can't wait?

bcl
                                                        Participant

regarding getting educated, please read the following discussion carefully (  the author is a medical professional writing on his blog about Mercola  )

the rest is here –http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2012/02/joe_mercola_proof_positive_that_quackery.php

"…..Dr. Oz asked him whether he didn't have a conflict of interest because he makes money selling all these "natural" remedies. A lot of money. Mercola's response, you might recall, was in essence that it was OK because he was selling only "natural" products, that he didn't sell anything the first three years of his website's existence, and that he believes in what he sells. Never mind the quackery like Tullio Simoncini's claim that all cancer is due to a fungus and that all cancer can be cured with baking soda.

Now here's the most depressing part. Remember how I said I was bummed out to have the differential in influence between various science-based medicine websites and that of someone like Dr. Mercola:

According to traffic-tracking firm Quantcast, Mercola.com draws about 1.9 million unique visitors per month, each of whom returns an average of nearly ten times a month. That remarkable "stickiness" puts the site's total visits on a par with those to the National Institutes of Health's website. (Mercola claims his is "the world's No. 1 natural health website," citing figures from Alexa.com.) Mercola's 200,000-plus "likes" on Facebook are more than double the number for WebMD. And two of his eight books–2003's The No-Grain Diet and 2006's The Great Bird Flu Hoax–have landed on the New York Times bestseller list.

That's right. Mercola's website has traffic equivalent to that of the NIH website. Think about that for a second. On one side, we have a reliable, science-based website (well, except for the NCCAM section). On the other side, we have a quack website. Both get the same traffic.

One thing the article nails is the root of Mercola's appeal to the gullible. First, he taps into the distrust of government and institutions that is so prevalent today. His messages of "don't trust the government" and "don't trust pharmaceutical companies" resonate in our Tea Party-infused time. Mercola, as we have seen, is a master at this, and his followers lap it up. Second, he's, as the article says, a "gifted marketer." That much is true. Mercola even says he studied marketing, and it shows:

If there were any doubt about the importance of marketing to the operation, it was dispelled when I was given a quick tour of Mercola's sprawling headquarters. The lobby of Dr. Mercola's Natural Health Center looks like the kind of well-appointed suburban office where you'd expect vanity procedures such as face-lifts to be offered. As it turns out, only one short hallway is dedicated to patient services. "Marketing and customer service take up most of the rest," a new-patient coordinator told me.

Based on what I know about Mercola, that sounds about right. One little section of his empire devoted to actual patient care, the rest all devoted to marketing and fulfilling online orders. That's very telling and entirely consistent with Mercola's behavior. He might have been a real doctor at one time, but in 2012 he exists only to enrich himself by selling a mixture of the unremarkable, the unproven, and what I consider to be quackery. Certainly the archive of articles on his website is a treasure trove of quackery, antivaccine rants, quack apologia, and rants against the government and big pharma, interspersed with videos and radio interviews, and more. Truly, it's a multimedia empire of woo. Whenever anyone criticizes him, he invokes the "pharma shill" gambit:

I can see things that are just obvious and clear to me. I don't need 30 more years of science to support it. Am I wrong sometimes? Sure. Everyone's wrong [sometimes]. . . . People call me a snake-oil salesman, of course. They're free to do that.

Consider this Orac exercising his freedom to do just that. After all, Mercola just said he didn't mind."

. "In implying physicians should not act until scientists conclusively prove a point, Professor Gilchrest misses the point. Sometimes physicians must act before scientists conclusively prove a point. Physicians can't wait. Scientists can wait." http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/news-archive/2006/professor-barbara-gilchrest/

The Vitamin D Council is a nonprofit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) educational corporation in the State of California, founded in 2003 by Executive Director John J. Cannell, M.D., on the conviction that humans all over the world are needlessly suffering from vitamin D deficiency.

Our mission

Our mission is to end the worldwide vitamin D deficiency epidemic by means of outreach and awareness, treatment, research and activism.

Our approach

Outreach and awareness

Our foremost goal is to reach out, bring awareness and educate the general populace, the health industry, and policy makers on the importance of vitamin D. We bridge the gap between the latest peer-reviewed research on the health implications of vitamin D and the general populace, the health industry and policy makers.

Treatment

We believe every human ought to know their own vitamin D status and how they can effectively treat deficiency or insufficiency and maintain healthy vitamin D levels. We strive to educate the public on the measures they can take to treat their vitamin D deficiency.

Research

Peer-reviewed research on vitamin D and its association to various diseases and illnesses is the driving force behind our actions, and an area we closely monitor to best serve the public. There is an unprecedented amount of clinical research being conducted on vitamin D today, and we work hard to objectively process this information and bring it to the public’s attention in a quick and efficient manner.

Activism

With the quantity of research currently being conducted on vitamin D, evidence on the importance of this prohormo is outpacing the decision making of governments and agencies. The Vitamin D Council routinely makes recommendations to appropriate governmental agencies, in effort to educate policy makers and make an impact in their policy decision making.

The Vitamin D Council is actively seeking further support from foundations and organizations. We hope to receive program support from these sources in the near future.

If you are a foundation or organization and are interested in the possibility of supporting the work that we do, please email Brant Cebulla at [email protected].

The ESB Enterprise link goes to  MERCOLA.COM's  TANNING BED Sales area. http://tanningbeds.mercola.com/tanning-beds/standup-tanning-systems.aspx?aid=CD353 )

US

Industry Links

"These links should provide you with resources from throughout the vitamin D community and the tanning industry. If we've overlooked an important source, please e-mail [email protected]."

———————————–

Canada

Website Links

Vitamin D Society

—————————————

bcl
                                                          Participant

Vitamin D Council disclaimer.. 

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The products and information presented on this website are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

————————————-

An internist's take..

http://scienceblogs.com/whitecoatunderground/2008/01/quack_miranda_warning.php

(PalMD is a practicing internist in the Great Lakes region of the U.S.. Aside from the great joy he finds in his family and his work, he likes communicating some of that joy to others. He has a special interest in the ways patients—and we are all patients at one time or another—are deceived by charlatans. He aims to change the world, one reader at a time. )

"Quack Miranda Warning

Category: Absurd medical claims • Medicine
                                                            Posted on: January 14, 2008 8:24 AM, by PalMD

"These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease."

This "Quack Miranda Warning" is on every just about every woo-meister's website. I see dozens of patients every day, and I never Mirandize them, so whats the deal?

There are three ways to look at this: the truthful way, the sinister way, and the bat-shit insane way.

• Truth: Anyone who wants to sell you something that's a load of crap must use this statement to cover themselves legally.
                                                          •  

• Sinister: Variation of above–someone wants to sell you something that you are supposed to believe is medically useful, but at the same time they tell you in fine print that it is notmedically useful. When it doesn't work, they don't get sued. I wonder why anyone would buy something with that disclaimer attatched to it? When I treat someone for a medical problem, I pretty much say that I intend to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent a disease. Why would I say otherwise? It would be a lie. Also, who would go to see a doctor that told you that they didn't intend to diagnose or treat disease. The whole thing is bizarre.
                                                          •  

• Bat-shit insane: The FDA and Big Pharma are in cahoots with the AMA to keep you from learning all the simple ways to treat diseases. They want your money, and they'll do anything they can to get it from you, including suppressing the knowledge that anyone can learn to heal cancer.
                                                          •  

•  
                                                          •  

I can't really help the people who believe #3, but people who are willing to suspend their paranoia should read #'s 1 and 2 a few times. Unless you're being arrested, no one should be reading you your rights. The Quack Miranda Statement is the red flag that should send you running."

bcl
                                                      Participant

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The products and information presented on this website are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

————————————-

An internist's take..

(PalMD is a practicing internist in the Great Lakes region of the U.S.. Aside from the great joy he finds in his family and his work, he likes communicating some of that joy to others. He has a special interest in the ways patients—and we are all patients at one time or another—are deceived by charlatans. He aims to change the world, one reader at a time. )

"Quack Miranda Warning

"These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease."

This "Quack Miranda Warning" is on every just about every woo-meister's website. I see dozens of patients every day, and I never Mirandize them, so whats the deal?

There are three ways to look at this: the truthful way, the sinister way, and the bat-shit insane way.

• Truth: Anyone who wants to sell you something that's a load of crap must use this statement to cover themselves legally.
                                                      •  

• Sinister: Variation of above–someone wants to sell you something that you are supposed to believe is medically useful, but at the same time they tell you in fine print that it is notmedically useful. When it doesn't work, they don't get sued. I wonder why anyone would buy something with that disclaimer attatched to it? When I treat someone for a medical problem, I pretty much say that I intend to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent a disease. Why would I say otherwise? It would be a lie. Also, who would go to see a doctor that told you that they didn't intend to diagnose or treat disease. The whole thing is bizarre.
                                                      •  

• Bat-shit insane: The FDA and Big Pharma are in cahoots with the AMA to keep you from learning all the simple ways to treat diseases. They want your money, and they'll do anything they can to get it from you, including suppressing the knowledge that anyone can learn to heal cancer.
                                                      •  

•  
                                                      •  

I can't really help the people who believe #3, but people who are willing to suspend their paranoia should read #'s 1 and 2 a few times. Unless you're being arrested, no one should be reading you your rights. The Quack Miranda Statement is the red flag that should send you running."

bcl
                                                        Participant

————————————-

An internist's take..

"Quack Miranda Warning

•  

•  

•  

•  
                                                        •  

bcl
                                                          Participant

Our mission

Our approach

Outreach and awareness

Treatment

Research

Activism

US

Industry Links

———————————–

Canada

Website Links

Vitamin D Society

—————————————

Gene_S
                                                            Participant

Since I live where the sun doesn't shine enough to be beneficial, the vitamin D-3 supplements are necessary!

IMHO, it's time to stop all the myths that the sun is bad for you!  The sun has great healing powers. Read the following carefully:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/06/11/New-Model-Of-Cancer-Development-Vitamin-D-is-the-Key.aspx

Best wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                                                              Participant

Best wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                                                                Participant

Webbie73
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    So, Gene, explain how a women age 61, who never used sunscreen as a child or young adult( sunscreen was not available back than) gets melanoma. I certain got enough sun exposure with vit. D. Do you believe melanoma is all a hereditary mutation?
                                                                    Webbie73
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      bcl
                                                                      Participant

"What needed to be addressed here is the fact that almost all melanoma's occur on parts of the body that never receive any sun light! "

National Cancer Institute findings

"Melanoma can occur on any skin surface. In men, it's often found on the skin on the head, on the neck, or between the shoulders and the hips. In women, it's often found on the skin on the lower legs or between the shoulders and the hips"
                                                                        http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/wyntk/skin/page4

bcl
                                                                        Participant

"What needed to be addressed here is the fact that almost all melanoma's occur on parts of the body that never receive any sun light! "

"Melanoma can occur on any skin surface. In men, it's often found on the skin on the head, on the neck, or between the shoulders and the hips. In women, it's often found on the skin on the lower legs or between the shoulders and the hips"

bcl
                                                                          Participant

justlittleoleme
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              Gene, why don’t you have our cure then if you are so smart about it?
                                                                              justlittleoleme
                                                                              Participant
                                                                                justlittleoleme
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  JerryfromFauq
                                                                                  Participant

One problem with this whole debate is the difference in the words 'Cause and catalyst.'. 

Most melanomas i am aware of are in areas that have likely suffer sun burns, but there are enough in areas that have  never seen sun that there has to be additional causes for some of us.  (Very little is absolute in this life, especially with melanoma,)

I am quite sure in my case that UVA/UVB  was neither. (I don't burn either.)  However, there is enough empirical examples (evidence?) that sunburns (due to UVA/UVB) have a high relationship to melanoma DNA mutations.  I do not know it this is a cause or a catalyst relationship.  I do believe that not placing oneself in the position to burn is a very prudent action.  I do not believe that total avoidance of the sun is prudent.  i wish my wife would get more sun.  i do not want her to burn, which she has often done with more than 15 minutes exposure at a time duriing most  of her life.  Different people do react differently, so does their bodies. 

The one thing I have not heard any reports of is that sun exposure leds to metastises versus primary tumors.  i personally amaze some on this board by going outside without a shirt in the summer and seldom use sunscren, unless I plan on being out for a long time.  I do recommend my wife wearing it if she is going more than to the car.  (Should use it on her arms if even going for a ride!) 

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                    Participant

One problem with this whole debate is the difference in the words 'Cause and catalyst.'. 

Most melanomas i am aware of are in areas that have likely suffer sun burns, but there are enough in areas that have  never seen sun that there has to be additional causes for some of us.  (Very little is absolute in this life, especially with melanoma,)

I am quite sure in my case that UVA/UVB  was neither. (I don't burn either.)  However, there is enough empirical examples (evidence?) that sunburns (due to UVA/UVB) have a high relationship to melanoma DNA mutations.  I do not know it this is a cause or a catalyst relationship.  I do believe that not placing oneself in the position to burn is a very prudent action.  I do not believe that total avoidance of the sun is prudent.  i wish my wife would get more sun.  i do not want her to burn, which she has often done with more than 15 minutes exposure at a time duriing most  of her life.  Different people do react differently, so does their bodies. 

The one thing I have not heard any reports of is that sun exposure leds to metastises versus primary tumors.  i personally amaze some on this board by going outside without a shirt in the summer and seldom use sunscren, unless I plan on being out for a long time.  I do recommend my wife wearing it if she is going more than to the car.  (Should use it on her arms if even going for a ride!) 

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                      Participant

Bob B.
                                                                                        Participant

As a blonde, fair skinned person of 71 who has spent his life in the sun, I could not agree more with you.   Those who claim Dr. Mercola and others who advocate a moderate amount of the right kind of sun exposure might benefit from recalling:

Because someone makes his living promoting distrust of government, the health industry and selling alternative health remedies and may even be a quack, charlaton, liar, (fill in the blanks)- does NOT make him wrong.   Just because someone is a highly respected medical doctor and member of the AMA does NOT make him right.  

Use your own best judgement.   Better to make our own errors- instead of someone else's.   You agree?

Bob B.
                                                                                          Participant

As a blonde, fair skinned person of 71 who has spent his life in the sun, I could not agree more with you.   Those who claim Dr. Mercola and others who advocate a moderate amount of the right kind of sun exposure might benefit from recalling:

Because someone makes his living promoting distrust of government, the health industry and selling alternative health remedies and may even be a quack, charlaton, liar, (fill in the blanks)- does NOT make him wrong.   Just because someone is a highly respected medical doctor and member of the AMA does NOT make him right.  

Use your own best judgement.   Better to make our own errors- instead of someone else's.   You agree?

Bob B.
                                                                                            Participant

Linny
                                                                                              Participant

Wow, there's a lot to read and absorb here.

I am stage III, unknown primary, one positive node under my left arm. There is no history of melanoma in my family. I do not work outdoors, I am not involved in any outdoor sports, I go out of my way to make sure I don't burn when I'm in the sun. I am blonde and of northern European ancestry.

I do not have a lot of moles so even if I did ever have one near my left arm it would have caught my attention. I did have a few sunburns as a kid but not many because I covered up to avoid getting them. Why? They hurt! LOL. I've always been vigiliant about covering up in order to not burn.

So where the hell my melanoma came from is a puzzle, indeed.

Linny
                                                                                                Participant

I am stage III, unknown primary, one positive node under my left arm. There is no history of melanoma in my family. I do not work outdoors, I am not involved in any outdoor sports, I go out of my way to make sure I don't burn when I'm in the sun. I am blonde and of northern European ancestry.

I do not have a lot of moles so even if I did ever have one near my left arm it would have caught my attention. I did have a few sunburns as a kid but not many because I covered up to avoid getting them. Why? They hurt! LOL. I've always been vigiliant about covering up in order to not burn.

Linny
                                                                                                  Participant

• Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                                                    Log In
                                                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics