The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Does local recurrence mean immunotherapy fail?

Forums General Melanoma Community Does local recurrence mean immunotherapy fail?

Participant

Hi all! About 6 months in of monthly Opdivo treatments, my dermatologist found a few new spots of melanoma along the scar line of the original occurence/surgery. 

One of the docs on my team said that this doesn’t mean that it is an Opdivo fail (based on that the local recurrence could have been residual cells too small to detect previously and that the Opdivo may not have been able to eradicate them), while another says that it does indicate that the Opdivo isn’t working. 

Any thoughts on this? I’m definitely continuing the treatments until I reach 13, but the difference in opinion puzzles me.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Lucas
        Participant

It does mean it failed as a single agent and you will need to add something to it. However it does not mean it cant work in combination and long term. Adding any one of radiation, intralesional, ipi and/or more surgery. Could boost the response rate to where you could continue opdivo only in the future. It by itself will not likely stop local disease.

sing123
            Participant

Thank you! Well they did another excision on the new cells, and I continue on the Opdivo. I asked because I am still making what is for me a weighty decision on the radiation. One doc recommends doing it just on my scalp where the original and re-occurrence happened. Another recommends doing it on both sides of my neck as they’d originally had to remove two positive lymph nodes at the time of the first surgery and second doc recommends doing it just on my scalp where the original and re-occurrence happened. 

Lucas
              Participant

In my case similar to yours. I had a second wide excision with no radiation because it popped back up weeks after surgery while still healing. Then I had radiation which got rid of 98% of my disease. Satellite or in transit disease tends to only show up as tip of the ice-berg. Then it can pop up rapidly or further. In some cases the second excision may be all that is needed, but I would definitely do radiation if given the chance. It is really tolerable.

Marksa2570
              Participant

original poster, if you are still reading this thread… what did the local recurrence look like?    

sing123
                  Participant

I had two tiny spots emerge in the scar line of the initial excision on my scalp (sorry I cannot offhand recall the size). A second WLE removed them both with clear margins.

Viewing 1 reply thread
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics