The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Does a partial biopsy of an early stage melanoma spread the cancer?

Forums General Melanoma Community Does a partial biopsy of an early stage melanoma spread the cancer?

Participant

I have a friend who is a breast cancer survivor.  She said it was very important not to cut through the tumor, or it can spread the cells.  is this the same with an early stage melanoma?  It seems it would spread it, wouldn't it?  Online I have read numerous times where melanoma has margins involved or the tumor was only partially biopsied.  I worry that someday they may say this does indeed spread the tumor. 

I have a friend who is a breast cancer survivor.  She said it was very important not to cut through the tumor, or it can spread the cells.  is this the same with an early stage melanoma?  It seems it would spread it, wouldn't it?  Online I have read numerous times where melanoma has margins involved or the tumor was only partially biopsied.  I worry that someday they may say this does indeed spread the tumor. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

I can't find any references at the moment, but I believe current studies say no.  I don't think anyone could give you a 100% guarantee, but retrospectively studies show no difference in prognosis between a full or partial biopsy.

Janner
          Participant

I can't find any references at the moment, but I believe current studies say no.  I don't think anyone could give you a 100% guarantee, but retrospectively studies show no difference in prognosis between a full or partial biopsy.

mlbjab
              Participant

My cancer was only in situ, but it was cut through – they only biopsied part of the mole because they did not think it was cancerous (now I know how stupid that is, at the time I did not).  The wide excision did have cancer remaining in it as well.  So a larger excistion was needed.  I suppose I'm just confused as to why it is such a big deal to cut through other cancers and not such a big deal to cut through a melanoma.  Does an in situ melanoma cell have the potential to metastasize?  We should do a poll of those who progressed in early stage disease and see if they had their primary tumors cut through.  I don't understand why there are not studies on this.

Janner
                Participant

There are studies, I've seen them.  I just can't find a reference now.  And a poll on a site like this would be very skewed.  You don't see the vast number of in situ patients who've gone on to live without any further incident.  You only see the "exceptions".  Truthfully, this site can be a bit much for an in situ patient.  It's really not a very good representation of the real world for in situ patients.

Janner
                  Participant

There are studies, I've seen them.  I just can't find a reference now.  And a poll on a site like this would be very skewed.  You don't see the vast number of in situ patients who've gone on to live without any further incident.  You only see the "exceptions".  Truthfully, this site can be a bit much for an in situ patient.  It's really not a very good representation of the real world for in situ patients.

Janner
                    Participant

Chappie
                      Participant
                        Your situation is exactly the same as mine!!! Almost word for word! Have you had reoccurrences as noticed your post is from 2012
                        mlbjab
                        Participant

My cancer was only in situ, but it was cut through – they only biopsied part of the mole because they did not think it was cancerous (now I know how stupid that is, at the time I did not).  The wide excision did have cancer remaining in it as well.  So a larger excistion was needed.  I suppose I'm just confused as to why it is such a big deal to cut through other cancers and not such a big deal to cut through a melanoma.  Does an in situ melanoma cell have the potential to metastasize?  We should do a poll of those who progressed in early stage disease and see if they had their primary tumors cut through.  I don't understand why there are not studies on this.

mlbjab
                          Participant

Janner
                          Participant

killmel
                            Participant

Hi

I was a stage 3 melanoma patient when I had surgery to remove a tumor. The surgeon tried to give me clear margin but there was a small tumor he could not see on the outer margin which he cut through.

Long story short, within 6 months, I was stage 4 with tumors in my lungs. Before this surgery, I only had localizedtumors in my leg. My onc told me that by cutting through the tumor, the melanoma high likely spread into my blood system, when the surgeon cut through the tumor.

I hope this info helps.

killmel
                              Participant

Hi

I was a stage 3 melanoma patient when I had surgery to remove a tumor. The surgeon tried to give me clear margin but there was a small tumor he could not see on the outer margin which he cut through.

Long story short, within 6 months, I was stage 4 with tumors in my lungs. Before this surgery, I only had localizedtumors in my leg. My onc told me that by cutting through the tumor, the melanoma high likely spread into my blood system, when the surgeon cut through the tumor.

I hope this info helps.

killmel
                                Participant

Hi

I hope this info helps.

mlbjab
                                    Participant

I guess I find the info to be confusing.  Is melanoma really that different from other cancers?  Why would it be standard of care not to cut into a tumor for other cancers but not melanoma?  It seems like it would only take one cell to escape.  I have a feeling someday they may change the research. 

mlbjab
                                      Participant

I guess I find the info to be confusing.  Is melanoma really that different from other cancers?  Why would it be standard of care not to cut into a tumor for other cancers but not melanoma?  It seems like it would only take one cell to escape.  I have a feeling someday they may change the research. 

Chappie
                                        Participant
                                          Couldn’t agree more!
                                          mlbjab
                                          Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics