The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dodging a bullet

Forums General Melanoma Community Dodging a bullet

Participant
      I usually see a dermatologist twice a year for a general exam  but, because of COVID and the retirement of my long time dermatologist, I didn’t see anyone for over a year.  After getting vaccinated for COVID, I decided to stop putting it off and saw a new dermatologist. She expressed concern about an area in my scalp and suggested a biopsy.  I was skeptical and almost refused .  From my experience, many skin biopsies come up negative and, as one retired  dermatologist told me, can be a way for the doctor to make more money.  I was shocked when she called me two days later to report that it was a shallow melanoma (0.44) .  She referred me to another doctor who saw me the next day. He did lots of cutting, stapling and stitching and I now have a very large, ugly, painful wound.  The pathology report came back in less than 24 hours and shows they removed it all.  I go back next week to have the staples removed but the doctors tell me that, other than exams every 6-12 months, no further tests or treatments are necessary.  I feel very fortunate that 1)I finally saw a dermatologist 2) she found the melanoma although it was covered by hair 3) the path report on the biopsy came back in two days 3) the second dermatologist/surgeon saw me on one day notice 4) the final pathology report came back in less than 24 hours showing it was completely gone.  I was impressed with how efficiently the clinic (UCSF ) handled it. The moral, of course, is to get examined regularly, wear sunscreen and a hat outside (I drive a beautiful convertible which doesn’t help).  Reading about the danger of scalp melanomas is pretty scary.  I may do most of my driving with the top up.
    Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        MelMel
        Participant
          Stephen, you are so lucky, unlike so many of us who end up with no known primary and stage IV. My daughter who just had a baby is going to have some suspicious moles removed within days. Initially, it was 3 then 4 and now a total of 5. I just cringe and my stomach is in knots since I just cannot help but think I would not wish this on my worst enemy.

Count your blessings! Wishing you a quick and speedy recovery.

Melanie

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics