The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Do the dermatologists know if it’s melanoma without biopsy?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Do the dermatologists know if it’s melanoma without biopsy?

Participant

I had my appointment today and the derm just looked at the mole and then looked at it with those glasses things on she diagnosed it as an atypical Nevus. Is it possible she’s wrong or am I just still freaking out for no reason

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Toby0987
        Participant

A derm can look at the mole and make an educated guess. However if you have a question about a mole get it biopsied. My derm at Mayo Clinic said if you go to a derm and say you are nervous about a mole they should biopsy the thing immediately-they will have the biopsy done in the same amount of time it takes you to read this post. When I’m doubt cut it out. As a side note my derm looked at my mole that I thought was suspicious and she told me not to worry about it-that her son had the exact same mole-2 years later, i insisted it get biopsied and guess what to her and my surprise it was melanoma-stage 3B. Bottom line get it biopsied

kcmtnbiker
            Participant

I could not agree more. All of mine have been atypical in appearance and "nothing to worry about". For piece of mind – bet it biopsied.

My opinion is no.  My oncologist said no and when I switched derms the new derm said no.  Get it biopsied just in case.  What's the worst thing if you are wrong- you have a path report that says it wasn't melanoma and a bill to pay.

Good wishes to you

Jennifer

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics