The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Do scans see all types of cancer?

Forums General Melanoma Community Do scans see all types of cancer?

Participant

Hello friends,

Yesterday I was conducting "paper management" and discovered the mammogram order which I failed to get done this year.  It made me start wondering….would the PET/CT scan show other kinds of cancer beyond mel?  I know my scans revealed a likely thyroid issue (not cancer), so I'm thinking it could identify other hot spots where a different kind of cancer may exist.

Thanks for your feedback!

Jacki

Hello friends,

Yesterday I was conducting "paper management" and discovered the mammogram order which I failed to get done this year.  It made me start wondering….would the PET/CT scan show other kinds of cancer beyond mel?  I know my scans revealed a likely thyroid issue (not cancer), so I'm thinking it could identify other hot spots where a different kind of cancer may exist.

Thanks for your feedback!

Jacki

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        Beckyinsandiego
        Participant
          Hi Jacki….this is a good Question because I was wondering the same thing. I just had my 2nd pet/ct in the last 6 months and I think if I had breast cancer it would show up. I hate getting mamms they suck. One time they did some damage to my clavicle and it hurt for a long time. Are you in remission right now? Good luck with your journey in life and always believe you are in charge!!!!!!
            jax2007gxp
            Participant

Hi Becky,

In charge?  Wow….I thought only the people who deal with me in person saw that characteristic in me.  Haha!  Really though, you are RIGHT!

Remission?  I dunno…I'm planning to ask the doctor on Tuesday because I've been wondering that myself.  Do I start counting NED from the date of surgery?  Or do I wait until my next PET/CT?

Cheers!

Jacki 

jax2007gxp
              Participant

Hi Becky,

In charge?  Wow….I thought only the people who deal with me in person saw that characteristic in me.  Haha!  Really though, you are RIGHT!

Remission?  I dunno…I'm planning to ask the doctor on Tuesday because I've been wondering that myself.  Do I start counting NED from the date of surgery?  Or do I wait until my next PET/CT?

Cheers!

Jacki 

Beckyinsandiego
              Participant
                Hi Jacki….this is a good Question because I was wondering the same thing. I just had my 2nd pet/ct in the last 6 months and I think if I had breast cancer it would show up. I hate getting mamms they suck. One time they did some damage to my clavicle and it hurt for a long time. Are you in remission right now? Good luck with your journey in life and always believe you are in charge!!!!!!
                W.
                Participant

A PET/CT scan would detect all kinds of active tumors above a certain size.

Mammograms however are better to discover small tumors.

W.
                  Participant

A PET/CT scan would detect all kinds of active tumors above a certain size.

Mammograms however are better to discover small tumors.

Richard_K
                    Participant
                      Based on very recent personal experience, I agree with the posting of “Anonymous”. My most recent PET/CT scan picked up a hot spot that was not melanoma.
                      Dick
                      Richard_K
                      Participant
                        Based on very recent personal experience, I agree with the posting of “Anonymous”. My most recent PET/CT scan picked up a hot spot that was not melanoma.
                        Dick
                        KatyWI
                        Participant

PET would show a breast tumor, but it would have to be ~1 cm or larger due to the resolution of PET.  Having had a met in the breast, when it showed up on PET they ordered a mammogram to get a better image.  You should probably get the damn mammo, sucky though it may be. 

KatyWI

KatyWI
                          Participant

PET would show a breast tumor, but it would have to be ~1 cm or larger due to the resolution of PET.  Having had a met in the breast, when it showed up on PET they ordered a mammogram to get a better image.  You should probably get the damn mammo, sucky though it may be. 

KatyWI

jax2007gxp
                            Participant

Thanks for all of the replies and the clarification.  Good to know I don't show any other hot spots that are large enough to see.  So….I guess I'm gonna have to get the mamm scheduled.  Oh joy!  I've had a couple in the past few years.  My mother was a breast cancer survivor, so my doctor is aggressive with the mamm scheduling!  Just thinking I have to go back in the spring…I don't want to have to say…Oooops, I forgot/flaked/was distratcted by mel/just really didn't wanna!  LOL

Jacki

jax2007gxp
                              Participant

Thanks for all of the replies and the clarification.  Good to know I don't show any other hot spots that are large enough to see.  So….I guess I'm gonna have to get the mamm scheduled.  Oh joy!  I've had a couple in the past few years.  My mother was a breast cancer survivor, so my doctor is aggressive with the mamm scheduling!  Just thinking I have to go back in the spring…I don't want to have to say…Oooops, I forgot/flaked/was distratcted by mel/just really didn't wanna!  LOL

Jacki

Viewing 9 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics