The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Do Insurance Companies Disclose Melanoma Diagnosis to Employers?

Forums General Melanoma Community Do Insurance Companies Disclose Melanoma Diagnosis to Employers?

Participant
      Does anyone know what information insurance companies are allowed to pass on to a company about the diagnosis, condition, or treatments that its employees have received?

Specifically…I want to know…if I choose not to discuss my melanoma diagnosis with my employer, will they just find out anyway from the insurance company?

Does anyone know what information insurance companies are allowed to pass on to a company about the diagnosis, condition, or treatments that its employees have received?

Specifically…I want to know…if I choose not to discuss my melanoma diagnosis with my employer, will they just find out anyway from the insurance company?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        mkummerle
        Participant

I would think that falls under the HIPPA act.  But who cares if they know.  They can't discriminate against you.

mkummerle
          Participant

I would think that falls under the HIPPA act.  But who cares if they know.  They can't discriminate against you.

Joan
            Participant

No, this is a HIPPA issue. I do not believe they can release info to your employer.

Joan
              Participant

No, this is a HIPPA issue. I do not believe they can release info to your employer.

Rocco
                Participant

I've been stage IV for about 5 years and chose NOT to tell my employer.  Only about 4 very close friends from same employer know and they have not told anyone.  I've been able to live, work and get treatment in the shadows using vacation and sick days to do this.  My employer does not know and the insurance company that I've been blessed to work with has picked up everything and not told them

Rocco
                  Participant

I've been stage IV for about 5 years and chose NOT to tell my employer.  Only about 4 very close friends from same employer know and they have not told anyone.  I've been able to live, work and get treatment in the shadows using vacation and sick days to do this.  My employer does not know and the insurance company that I've been blessed to work with has picked up everything and not told them

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics