The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Do-antioxidants-cause-cancer

Forums General Melanoma Community Do-antioxidants-cause-cancer

• Replies
      lou2
      Participant

I'm not sure I would accept Watson as an expert on this subject.

lou2
        Participant

lou2
          Participant

JC
            Participant

i hope not, i take a lot of them

JC
              Participant

JC
                Participant

JakeinNY
                  Participant

Misleading title as is typical of so many media outlets.

I don't see where it is said that antioxidants cause cancer, just that they can inhibit the cancer treatment depending on the treatment's mechanism.

Maybe I missed something?

awillett1991
                      Participant
                        I heard from a nutritionist that if you’re currently being treated not to load up on them, they could cause the treatment to be less effective. She said extra protein was more important. Another said go all vegan. Always such a controversial subject! I do try to eat healthy and avoid sugar, after seeing my PETs soak it up, you gotta figure there’s a reason. Also pre diabetic and cancer diagnosed at the same time.
                        awillett1991
                        Participant
                          I heard from a nutritionist that if you’re currently being treated not to load up on them, they could cause the treatment to be less effective. She said extra protein was more important. Another said go all vegan. Always such a controversial subject! I do try to eat healthy and avoid sugar, after seeing my PETs soak it up, you gotta figure there’s a reason. Also pre diabetic and cancer diagnosed at the same time.
                          awillett1991
                          Participant
                            JakeinNY
                            Participant

I did miss something:

"A number of studies have shown that taking antioxidants such as vitamin E do not reduce the risk of cancer but can actually increase it, and can even shorten life. But drugs that block antioxidants – "anti-antioxidants" – might make even existing cancer drugs more effective."

JakeinNY
                              Participant

I did miss something:

"A number of studies have shown that taking antioxidants such as vitamin E do not reduce the risk of cancer but can actually increase it, and can even shorten life. But drugs that block antioxidants – "anti-antioxidants" – might make even existing cancer drugs more effective."

JakeinNY
                                Participant

I did miss something:

JakeinNY
                                Participant

I don't see where it is said that antioxidants cause cancer, just that they can inhibit the cancer treatment depending on the treatment's mechanism.

JakeinNY
                                  Participant

JC
                                    Participant

many things get converted into sugar anyway once we consume them

JC
                                      Participant

JC
                                        Participant

JakeinNY
                                            Participant

Please don't take the attitude that eliminating sugar from the diet won't help. I think the key mechanism is insulin spikes. I haven't read about it entirely, or else I would know. It is true that protein can eventually get converted into glucose and even if we eat nothing, we stil have sugar in our blood, although it would be lower than before. The ketogenic diet studies that are going on right now should tell us much more. To my knowledge, 3 have been completed and based on these small studies, I am telling all those close to me to consider doing it if they have cancerous tumors. Based on the 3 small studies completed, I am COMPLETELY convinced that it works. The only question is: what percentage of people will it work for? If it's me, I'm telling my onc. that I'm doing it! I'll give up eating lots of different things if it means that it just might give me another way of beating this!

JakeinNY
                                              Participant

Please don't take the attitude that eliminating sugar from the diet won't help. I think the key mechanism is insulin spikes. I haven't read about it entirely, or else I would know. It is true that protein can eventually get converted into glucose and even if we eat nothing, we stil have sugar in our blood, although it would be lower than before. The ketogenic diet studies that are going on right now should tell us much more. To my knowledge, 3 have been completed and based on these small studies, I am telling all those close to me to consider doing it if they have cancerous tumors. Based on the 3 small studies completed, I am COMPLETELY convinced that it works. The only question is: what percentage of people will it work for? If it's me, I'm telling my onc. that I'm doing it! I'll give up eating lots of different things if it means that it just might give me another way of beating this!

JakeinNY
                                                Participant

JC
                                                Participant

a lot of recommendations conflict. . some say don’t eat meat, stay away from meat. . but then some say ketogenic which obviously involves meat

JC
                                                  Participant

a lot of recommendations conflict. . some say don’t eat meat, stay away from meat. . but then some say ketogenic which obviously involves meat

JakeinNY
                                                      Participant

There is nothing wrong with high quality meats….grass-fed cow beef, free-range organic chicken. The ketogenic diet is made up of high quality healthy fats, a decent amount of protein, and a very limited amount of carbs. I want to go back and hear the interview with Dr. Eugene Fine, MD, who was part of the RECHARGE trial in NYC as it is very informative as to what they believe the ketogenic diet does for cancer patients.

JakeinNY
                                                        Participant

There is nothing wrong with high quality meats….grass-fed cow beef, free-range organic chicken. The ketogenic diet is made up of high quality healthy fats, a decent amount of protein, and a very limited amount of carbs. I want to go back and hear the interview with Dr. Eugene Fine, MD, who was part of the RECHARGE trial in NYC as it is very informative as to what they believe the ketogenic diet does for cancer patients.

JakeinNY
                                                          Participant

JC
                                                          Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics