The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dizziness and Yervoy

Forums General Melanoma Community Dizziness and Yervoy

Participant

Dad had his second dose of Yervoy on Monday.  Yesterday he experienced mild diarrhea and dizziness.  He had a little diarehea after his first dose three weeks ago and the nurse told us that he could take Immodium.  Yesterday's diarrehea was very mild so he didnt have to take Immodium and it went away.  However, his dizziness continues today and I called the nurse.  Was told to monitor him and if his dizziness gets worse or doesnt go away, we should take him to the MD Anderson ER to get him checked out.  His dizziness is off and on.  I read on the Yervo

Dad had his second dose of Yervoy on Monday.  Yesterday he experienced mild diarrhea and dizziness.  He had a little diarehea after his first dose three weeks ago and the nurse told us that he could take Immodium.  Yesterday's diarrehea was very mild so he didnt have to take Immodium and it went away.  However, his dizziness continues today and I called the nurse.  Was told to monitor him and if his dizziness gets worse or doesnt go away, we should take him to the MD Anderson ER to get him checked out.  His dizziness is off and on.  I read on the Yervoy medication pamphlet that dizziness is a symptom of problems with thyroid or pituitary glands.  He doesnt have any other symptoms other than dizziness.  Has anyone experienced this and if so when should I take him to the hospital? What medication did they give you to treat dizziness? I want to keep him safe since Yervoy side effects can be very serious but on the other hand i dont want to freak out and make numerous visits to the hospital.

Thank you.

Chau

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

Chau, dizziness can be caused by a number of things. Here is a site that helps you
          decide how serious the problem might be: http://www.freemd.com/

Just type dizziness into the "evaluate your symptoms" section and follow the prompts.
          Keep in mind that this site doesn't include the effects that melanoma or its treatments
          could be having.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
          Participant

Chau, dizziness can be caused by a number of things. Here is a site that helps you

Just type dizziness into the "evaluate your symptoms" section and follow the prompts.
            Keep in mind that this site doesn't include the effects that melanoma or its treatments
            could be having.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

j.m.l.
              Participant

please do not go to the above freemd site. I tried it, entered all my info and then was asked for credit card to get an answer. Why would anyone give out credit card info to a totally unknown source? Dont add to your problem, see your own dr.

FormerCaregiver
                Participant

I have used the site number of times over the years, and haven't had the issue you describe. However, there is an option to "Ask a Doctor Online" that appears when the answer is given. I haven't tried that, and see no need to.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                  Participant

I have used the site number of times over the years, and haven't had the issue you describe. However, there is an option to "Ask a Doctor Online" that appears when the answer is given. I haven't tried that, and see no need to.

Frank from Australia

cwu
                    Participant

Thank you for your help. I have contacted the doctor so waiting to hear back from him.

Chau

cwu
                      Participant

Thank you for your help. I have contacted the doctor so waiting to hear back from him.

Chau

cwu
                        Participant

Chau

FormerCaregiver
                          Participant

Frank from Australia

j.m.l.
                            Participant

please do not go to the above freemd site. I tried it, entered all my info and then was asked for credit card to get an answer. Why would anyone give out credit card info to a totally unknown source? Dont add to your problem, see your own dr.

j.m.l.
                              Participant

FormerCaregiver
                              Participant

could be having.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

lhaley
                                Participant

Chau,

Talk to your Dr.  I have discovered that my Dr answers e-mails constantly from anywhere and at anytime.  This is not a time when it takes communication between others, just ask as directly as possible.   Just the other day I did call the nurse and they put me on hold and waited till the Dr came out of being with a patient and instantly gave me an answer.  It ended up being very important because I also have gall-bladder meds that to help I put under my tongue. I had never put it on my med list since it's not used often.  Was told that this is a blood thinner and could have caused all sorts of issues while dealing with the brain met swelling.  He told me to take Mylanta and while it wasn't perfect I've now changed my food and have stopped that possible issue.  This is why we have to wait for the Dr, he is dealing with patients in need.   Sometimes we just learn to be patient while in the office.

We have had others online about thyroid issues that can be dealt with as well as the pitutary glands like you said, just can't be ignored.  By dealing with the side effects the symptoms can be helped before damage can be done. 

lhaley
                                  Participant

Chau,

Talk to your Dr.  I have discovered that my Dr answers e-mails constantly from anywhere and at anytime.  This is not a time when it takes communication between others, just ask as directly as possible.   Just the other day I did call the nurse and they put me on hold and waited till the Dr came out of being with a patient and instantly gave me an answer.  It ended up being very important because I also have gall-bladder meds that to help I put under my tongue. I had never put it on my med list since it's not used often.  Was told that this is a blood thinner and could have caused all sorts of issues while dealing with the brain met swelling.  He told me to take Mylanta and while it wasn't perfect I've now changed my food and have stopped that possible issue.  This is why we have to wait for the Dr, he is dealing with patients in need.   Sometimes we just learn to be patient while in the office.

We have had others online about thyroid issues that can be dealt with as well as the pitutary glands like you said, just can't be ignored.  By dealing with the side effects the symptoms can be helped before damage can be done. 

lhaley
                                    Participant

Chau,

cwu
                                        Participant

Hhaley, you are right, it is better to contact the doctor directly and ask him for his advice. I sent him an email this morning and waiting to hear back.  I am glad that you were able to get information directly from your doctor and resolve your issue.  I dont want to contact the doctor/nurse for every little thing but I guess that is ok for me to do that to make sure my dad has the best care possible .  Thank you.

Chau 

cwu
                                          Participant

Hhaley, you are right, it is better to contact the doctor directly and ask him for his advice. I sent him an email this morning and waiting to hear back.  I am glad that you were able to get information directly from your doctor and resolve your issue.  I dont want to contact the doctor/nurse for every little thing but I guess that is ok for me to do that to make sure my dad has the best care possible .  Thank you.

Chau 

cwu
                                            Participant

Chau 

mombase
                                            Participant

I am definitely with you. I have my second dose tomorrow. I had mild diahrrea in the first week that resolved very quickly with immodium. I had some minor tunnel vision that did not make me dizzy, but the doc had prescribed me a drug similar to compazine to combat nausea if it occurres, which it didn't. A few days ago, I started getting pain under my right shoulder blade. It does not respond to aspercreme, so I am thinking it is more possibly neuropathy than anything else. I am going to ask the doc tomorrow to what extent I should deal with the side effects. I know it is pretty hard to answer for each individual, but I have a pretty high pain threshhold, and I would just love to get some idea of the point at which I should be worried. It's more concrete for diahrrea and rashes and things that can be monitored by blood tests.

I hope the side effects stay mild for your father and that Yervoy does its job!!

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
                                              Participant

I am definitely with you. I have my second dose tomorrow. I had mild diahrrea in the first week that resolved very quickly with immodium. I had some minor tunnel vision that did not make me dizzy, but the doc had prescribed me a drug similar to compazine to combat nausea if it occurres, which it didn't. A few days ago, I started getting pain under my right shoulder blade. It does not respond to aspercreme, so I am thinking it is more possibly neuropathy than anything else. I am going to ask the doc tomorrow to what extent I should deal with the side effects. I know it is pretty hard to answer for each individual, but I have a pretty high pain threshhold, and I would just love to get some idea of the point at which I should be worried. It's more concrete for diahrrea and rashes and things that can be monitored by blood tests.

I hope the side effects stay mild for your father and that Yervoy does its job!!

Cristy, Stage IV

cwu
                                                  Participant

Cristy, you described my delimma very accurately.  I guess it is better to talk to the doctor about these symptoms early and have it be nothing rather than have something bad happens. Good luck with your second dose and I hope Yervoy will work for you.

Just got a response from the dr. to monitor him and if dizziness becomes severe, then go to the hospital.  His dizziness seems to have subsided now.  So far, his side effects have been mild. He had some mild diarrhea, rash, and a whole lot of itching. Sometimes I go crazy trying to figure out whether it is working or not and looking for every possible signs that it may be working.  Three of his cutaneous lesions have fallen off after the first dose but so far nothing else have happened other than more lesions growing and existing ones geting bigger.

Chau

cwu
                                                    Participant

Cristy, you described my delimma very accurately.  I guess it is better to talk to the doctor about these symptoms early and have it be nothing rather than have something bad happens. Good luck with your second dose and I hope Yervoy will work for you.

Just got a response from the dr. to monitor him and if dizziness becomes severe, then go to the hospital.  His dizziness seems to have subsided now.  So far, his side effects have been mild. He had some mild diarrhea, rash, and a whole lot of itching. Sometimes I go crazy trying to figure out whether it is working or not and looking for every possible signs that it may be working.  Three of his cutaneous lesions have fallen off after the first dose but so far nothing else have happened other than more lesions growing and existing ones geting bigger.

Chau

cwu
                                                      Participant

Chau

mombase
                                                      Participant

Cristy, Stage IV

Penny S.
                                                        Participant

Hello Chau,

My Dad went thru the full  Alt-801 Clinical trail, it halted growth for 3 months,  2 of the larger tumors in his lungs started growing again.  Dr. recommended Yervoy, he has had 2 rounds with   minor  symptoms,  dizzy, tried, slight head ache and  mood changes, not normal.   He has been living an extremely normal life.  Wood turning, mowing grass, farming, Golf, etc…  No other symptoms until the last few days he is really tried, and feels slow mentally,   we felt it was the side effects of  the second Yervoy  treatment but just to be safe Mom called the Dr. yesterday, today  they ran an MRI, it showed 3 new spots on the Brain.  We are into a whole new ball game. 

Seems the symptoms are closely related.

I hope your Dad is just having side effects from the drug.

cwu
                                                            Participant

Hi Penny,

I am sorry to hear that your dad's tumors got worse.  Is he still on Yervoy or has he stopped? From what I have read here and elsewhere, while taking Yervoy, the tumors may get worse before it gets better and it does take a little longer than other treatments to take effect.  So while it is disheartening to see new tumor growth, it may be worth a try to finish all four doses if your dad is able to.  My dad's tumors are all on his right leg as of the last scans taken on 8/31. As far as we know, his organs are not yet affected. His next scan wont be until after he finish his last dose, which should be around end of November.  His dizziness has since stopped and hasnt returned and his doctor said to continue to monitor him.

Best wishes to your father and his treatment.

Chau 

cwu
                                                              Participant

Hi Penny,

I am sorry to hear that your dad's tumors got worse.  Is he still on Yervoy or has he stopped? From what I have read here and elsewhere, while taking Yervoy, the tumors may get worse before it gets better and it does take a little longer than other treatments to take effect.  So while it is disheartening to see new tumor growth, it may be worth a try to finish all four doses if your dad is able to.  My dad's tumors are all on his right leg as of the last scans taken on 8/31. As far as we know, his organs are not yet affected. His next scan wont be until after he finish his last dose, which should be around end of November.  His dizziness has since stopped and hasnt returned and his doctor said to continue to monitor him.

Chau 

cwu
                                                                Participant

Hi Penny,

Chau 

Penny S.
                                                                Participant

Hello Chau,

My Dad went thru the full  Alt-801 Clinical trail, it halted growth for 3 months,  2 of the larger tumors in his lungs started growing again.  Dr. recommended Yervoy, he has had 2 rounds with   minor  symptoms,  dizzy, tried, slight head ache and  mood changes, not normal.   He has been living an extremely normal life.  Wood turning, mowing grass, farming, Golf, etc…  No other symptoms until the last few days he is really tried, and feels slow mentally,   we felt it was the side effects of  the second Yervoy  treatment but just to be safe Mom called the Dr. yesterday, today  they ran an MRI, it showed 3 new spots on the Brain.  We are into a whole new ball game. 

Penny S.
                                                                  Participant

Hello Chau,

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics