The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Distant Skin Mets a thing?

Forums General Melanoma Community Distant Skin Mets a thing?

Participant
      Hi all,

Long story short I’m a high risk 2b with a nodular amelanotic taken off my ear 13 months ago. I’ve had some scares since then, but nothing has turned out to be mel. I’ve got crazy skin that is both sensitive and has countless weird moles. Everything they take off seems to come back as mild/moderate atypia. My spouse pointed out a very small pink bump on my left shoulder blade in the middle (same side as mel on ear). She said it is new, but didn’t concern her. Thing is I just recently had a skin check a few weeks ago and am not due back until July. It seems outside the local and regional basin to me, but maybe it could be considered in the regional basin? Anyways, it’s quite far away from the original site. I do get pink bumps from acne and just general irritation, but I can’t see this one because of where it is located very well so I am unsure how similar it is. Everything I look for on Google seems to be talking about distant metastasis as involving organs more than skin. Is distant skin metastasis something that is common? Trying to decide if I should go back to derm or wait for a bit and see what happens.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        gopher38
        Participant
          Just a short note to say that, although I don’t know percentages, distant skin mets can definitely happen before spread to organs (although – as you say – that seems to be more common).  I had seven distant skin mets appear from neck to butt, before they detected any spread to organs.
      Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics