The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Discouraging Scan

Forums General Melanoma Community Discouraging Scan

Participant
      After 17 months on Mek combo, it has outsmarted the melanoma. Scans showed progression back into the bones. So I am being put on the Ipi/Nivo combo. Anyone care to share experiences with those drugs?
      I know God’s got this and I keep thinking about a song that says Learning to Lean on Jesus. That is the only true source of strength.
      Lisa
    Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        Julie in SoCal
        Participant

Hey Lisa!

Darn that smart Melanoma!  I hate it when it outsmarts our smart meds!

There's lots of info here about the Ipi/Nivo combo. It has been a good solution for many!   Many people have posted their experiences on it here at MPIP.  Just do a search and they will come up.

Finally, yes, God's got this, and you! This isn't dependent on treatment, stage or status.  Although it might not be comfortable, it doesn't get any better when the creator of the universe is watching out for you!

Shalom,

Julie

Julie in SoCal
          Participant

Hey Lisa!

There's lots of info here about the Ipi/Nivo combo. It has been a good solution for many!   Many people have posted their experiences on it here at MPIP.  Just do a search and they will come up.

Finally, yes, God's got this, and you! This isn't dependent on treatment, stage or status.  Although it might not be comfortable, it doesn't get any better when the creator of the universe is watching out for you!

Shalom,

Julie

rabbits68
              Participant
                Hi Julie,Good to know this is a common treatment plan. I have an appointment tomorrow and will do some research to have my list of questions ready. Thanks for the encouragement.
                rabbits68
                Participant
                  Hi Julie,Good to know this is a common treatment plan. I have an appointment tomorrow and will do some research to have my list of questions ready. Thanks for the encouragement.
                  rabbits68
                  Participant
                  Julie in SoCal
                  Participant

Hey Lisa!

Shalom,

Julie

Mat
                    Participant

Lisa, you can search my prior posts.  I've been on ipi/nivo for 8 months.  I had an 18-month run on BRAF-MEK previously.  Polymath and Ed Williams are 2 other posters that are on ipi/nivo.

ed williams
                        Participant

Hi Lisa, I am part of checkmate 067 trial by Bristol Myer Squibb, where 945 patients world wide have been assigned one of three possible arms of the study. Patients have been assigned Ipi monotherapy or Nivo monotherapy or the third possible arm of Ipi/Nivo together. The study is blinded so we don't know which of the arms we were assigned. I have made some asssumption based on side effects and scans. I had reduction of my lung mets at the first set of scans at 12 weeks, and I have assumed based on this and the low toxicity that I have encounter that I am getting Nivo for sure. I did have a lot of itching at the beginning which could mean I had Ipi as well but that would be a guess on my part. I have provided a link to a recent article on Immunotherapies in general and I would also suggest to check out Bubbles blog!!! Best Wishes!!!Ed http://www.uptodate.com/contents/immunotherapy-of-advanced-melanoma-with-immune-checkpoint-inhibition

I would check out the article about half way down for checkmate 067 data.

ed williams
                          Participant

Hi Lisa, I am part of checkmate 067 trial by Bristol Myer Squibb, where 945 patients world wide have been assigned one of three possible arms of the study. Patients have been assigned Ipi monotherapy or Nivo monotherapy or the third possible arm of Ipi/Nivo together. The study is blinded so we don't know which of the arms we were assigned. I have made some asssumption based on side effects and scans. I had reduction of my lung mets at the first set of scans at 12 weeks, and I have assumed based on this and the low toxicity that I have encounter that I am getting Nivo for sure. I did have a lot of itching at the beginning which could mean I had Ipi as well but that would be a guess on my part. I have provided a link to a recent article on Immunotherapies in general and I would also suggest to check out Bubbles blog!!! Best Wishes!!!Ed http://www.uptodate.com/contents/immunotherapy-of-advanced-melanoma-with-immune-checkpoint-inhibition

ed williams
                            Participant

rabbits68
                              Participant
                                Thanks Mat, I appreciate your input. I have learned alot from your posts.
                                rabbits68
                                Participant
                                  rabbits68
                                  Participant
                                  Mat
                                  Participant

Lisa, you can search my prior posts.  I've been on ipi/nivo for 8 months.  I had an 18-month run on BRAF-MEK previously.  Polymath and Ed Williams are 2 other posters that are on ipi/nivo.

Mat
                                    Participant

Polymath
                                      Participant

Hi Lisa,

My mel must be a genius because it outsmarted my TAF/MEK in just 6 months.  At that time, ipi/nivo was yet to be FDA approved so I went on ipi alone.  I progressed on that as well, but then ipi/nivo became available.  You are in a better position now as the side-effect profile appears to be less with the combo and response rates better.  I started the combo back in late 2015, have had very few, and very manageable side-effects and remain on the follow-up nivo only part of regime getting infusions every two weeks.  This is the first immunotherapy treatment I have had any response to.  Go for it, and don't let others scare you about side-effects. You may, or may not experience them and just stay in contact with doctors/nurses when and if adverse reactions occur.  Best to you in the battle.

Gary

Polymath
                                        Participant

Hi Lisa,

My mel must be a genius because it outsmarted my TAF/MEK in just 6 months.  At that time, ipi/nivo was yet to be FDA approved so I went on ipi alone.  I progressed on that as well, but then ipi/nivo became available.  You are in a better position now as the side-effect profile appears to be less with the combo and response rates better.  I started the combo back in late 2015, have had very few, and very manageable side-effects and remain on the follow-up nivo only part of regime getting infusions every two weeks.  This is the first immunotherapy treatment I have had any response to.  Go for it, and don't let others scare you about side-effects. You may, or may not experience them and just stay in contact with doctors/nurses when and if adverse reactions occur.  Best to you in the battle.

Gary

Polymath
                                          Participant

Hi Lisa,

Gary

Patrisa
                                            Participant

Dear rabbits68,

ipi/nivo sounds like a great plan (many folks keep it in their back pocket and try other stuff first – cause it's like the ass kicking, great results combo, so i'm sure you will see that for yourself)…

as for the side effects… I imagine any non life threathening side effect is better than melanoma… That's if they even occure… You will cross that bridge when/if you get to it…

You got this!

Love,

Patrisa

Patrisa
                                              Participant

Dear rabbits68,

ipi/nivo sounds like a great plan (many folks keep it in their back pocket and try other stuff first – cause it's like the ass kicking, great results combo, so i'm sure you will see that for yourself)…

as for the side effects… I imagine any non life threathening side effect is better than melanoma… That's if they even occure… You will cross that bridge when/if you get to it…

You got this!

Love,

Patrisa

rabbits68
                                                  Participant
                                                    Hi Patricia,
                                                    Glad to hear it has a good track record. We had gotten my tumor burden down to one nodule in my lung before Mek stopped working. I’m ready to kick melanoma out of here!
                                                    rabbits68
                                                    Participant
                                                      Hi Patricia,
                                                      Glad to hear it has a good track record. We had gotten my tumor burden down to one nodule in my lung before Mek stopped working. I’m ready to kick melanoma out of here!
                                                      rabbits68
                                                      Participant
                                                        Hi Patricia,
                                                      Patrisa
                                                      Participant

Dear rabbits68,

You got this!

Love,

Patrisa

Yvette
                                                        Participant

Lisa,

Sending strength, prayers and positivity. I'm on the mek combo now (month 5). Ipi/Nivo is plan B. 

Yvette

Yvette
                                                          Participant

Lisa,

Sending strength, prayers and positivity. I'm on the mek combo now (month 5). Ipi/Nivo is plan B. 

Yvette

rabbits68
                                                              Participant
                                                                Thank you Yvette,
                                                                I had a good run with Mek and am pulling for you to have success with it. It made me feel so good and I didn’t have many issues with it.
                                                                rabbits68
                                                                Participant
                                                                  Thank you Yvette,
                                                                  I had a good run with Mek and am pulling for you to have success with it. It made me feel so good and I didn’t have many issues with it.
                                                                  rabbits68
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    Thank you Yvette,
                                                                  Yvette
                                                                  Participant

Lisa,

Yvette

ed williams
                                                                    Participant

Lisa, you might also want to take a look at Onclive, peer exchange series of videos featuring Dr. Keith Flaherty ,Georgina Long, Jeffrey Weber and Jason Luke. Here is the link, you might have to sign up but don't worry they don't send  junk mail. Best Wishes!!!Ed   http://www.onclive.com/peer-exchange/melanoma4-advanced-treatment/disease-burden-and-firstline-melanoma-treatment

rabbits68
                                                                        Participant
                                                                          Ed, Thanks for the link. I like being informed when I go to the doctors. Keeps him on his toes!
                                                                          rabbits68
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            Ed, Thanks for the link. I like being informed when I go to the doctors. Keeps him on his toes!
                                                                            rabbits68
                                                                            Participant
                                                                            ed williams
                                                                            Participant

Lisa, you might also want to take a look at Onclive, peer exchange series of videos featuring Dr. Keith Flaherty ,Georgina Long, Jeffrey Weber and Jason Luke. Here is the link, you might have to sign up but don't worry they don't send  junk mail. Best Wishes!!!Ed   http://www.onclive.com/peer-exchange/melanoma4-advanced-treatment/disease-burden-and-firstline-melanoma-treatment

ed williams
                                                                              Participant

Bubbles
                                                                                Participant

Sorry for the progression, Lisa, but you can do this! Here's some pretty awesome data about the combo: http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/06/asco-2016-checkmate-067-ipinivo-combo.html

There's lot more on the blog, just use the search bubble if you like. I wish you well! Celeste

Hukill
                                                                                    Participant

You can read my post titled "My Melanoma Story" which is about 7 threads down from this one. I had my 4th dose last friday and posted my adventure this far with these drugs. For me they are working and I have had very few side effects which I was able to handle my self, none serious. A scan at 8 weeks which was 6 weeks early had several tumors so far gone they couldn't say if they were completely gone or not. 3 were smaller and 2 slightly larger which I assume they continued to grow between my first scan and the time I started treatment but may be skrinking.

Hukill
                                                                                      Participant

You can read my post titled "My Melanoma Story" which is about 7 threads down from this one. I had my 4th dose last friday and posted my adventure this far with these drugs. For me they are working and I have had very few side effects which I was able to handle my self, none serious. A scan at 8 weeks which was 6 weeks early had several tumors so far gone they couldn't say if they were completely gone or not. 3 were smaller and 2 slightly larger which I assume they continued to grow between my first scan and the time I started treatment but may be skrinking.

Hukill
                                                                                        Participant

Bubbles
                                                                                        Participant

Sorry for the progression, Lisa, but you can do this! Here's some pretty awesome data about the combo: http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/06/asco-2016-checkmate-067-ipinivo-combo.html

There's lot more on the blog, just use the search bubble if you like. I wish you well! Celeste

Bubbles
                                                                                          Participant

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics