The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Discontinued Zelboraf

Forums General Melanoma Community Discontinued Zelboraf

Participant

Boy have things changed.

Dad has been so very weak, hardly eating and drinking, and sleeping 20+ hours a day. We made it through the weekend with him very peaceful and calm and "glad to be home." No more agitation or signs of distress. He has been in bed most of the time since Friday evening, but managed to get up to the sofa for a little while today (Tuesday). Monday he slept over 22 hours.

Boy have things changed.

Dad has been so very weak, hardly eating and drinking, and sleeping 20+ hours a day. We made it through the weekend with him very peaceful and calm and "glad to be home." No more agitation or signs of distress. He has been in bed most of the time since Friday evening, but managed to get up to the sofa for a little while today (Tuesday). Monday he slept over 22 hours.

His doctors discontinued his Zelboraf treatment and gave a home hospice order. It is a huge relief emotionally. We will see how it goes from here and wether or not we can handle the physical part or have to take up some other options.

-DF

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

Your dad's condition has certainly changed, and I am concerned about that. What have the doctors said regarding your his prognosis? Have they told you what to expect now?

Take care

Frank from Australia

dearfoam
            Participant

We were not even able to get to his reg Dr appointment, he is so weak. My dad's team of drs has been communicating with the hospice team, and so our palliative dr (who is GREAT) is the attending dr who will be working with them.

The hospice RN was here today and will come again tomorrow. As far as having 3-6 months, that has been what the doctor thought before, but today they indicated it is probably much less as he is showing several of near-end signs. It was a whirlwind couple of days, but I don't think the hospice wanted to slam us with it all at once. The nurse wants to monitor him at home and get the new baseline figured out before giving us her take, but she agreed we might not need worry about finding a facility because it just may not be long at all. She said it may be that he perks up as his body slowly recovers from last week, but in my opinion he is more tired and weak than he was Thursday and Friday.

He did want to get up and sit with us tonight in the living room, but he could only manage a few steps. Luckily we have a wheelchair and made it work. He managed to eat about 5 bites of food for supper, after having a little piece of pie for lunch and a few bites of grits for breakfast, and maybe 16 oz fluid other than that all day.

Thanks for asking, I know I am leaving things out, but just tired!

FormerCaregiver
              Participant

Unfortunately, sleeping 20+ hours per day is a sign that things are getting more
                serious. However, it is difficult to accurately predict how much time someone has left.

Here is some info that could help:
                http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Support/end-of-life-care

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                Participant

Unfortunately, sleeping 20+ hours per day is a sign that things are getting more
                  serious. However, it is difficult to accurately predict how much time someone has left.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                  Participant

Take care

Frank from Australia

dearfoam
                    Participant

We were not even able to get to his reg Dr appointment, he is so weak. My dad's team of drs has been communicating with the hospice team, and so our palliative dr (who is GREAT) is the attending dr who will be working with them.

The hospice RN was here today and will come again tomorrow. As far as having 3-6 months, that has been what the doctor thought before, but today they indicated it is probably much less as he is showing several of near-end signs. It was a whirlwind couple of days, but I don't think the hospice wanted to slam us with it all at once. The nurse wants to monitor him at home and get the new baseline figured out before giving us her take, but she agreed we might not need worry about finding a facility because it just may not be long at all. She said it may be that he perks up as his body slowly recovers from last week, but in my opinion he is more tired and weak than he was Thursday and Friday.

He did want to get up and sit with us tonight in the living room, but he could only manage a few steps. Luckily we have a wheelchair and made it work. He managed to eat about 5 bites of food for supper, after having a little piece of pie for lunch and a few bites of grits for breakfast, and maybe 16 oz fluid other than that all day.

dearfoam
                      Participant

FormerCaregiver
                      Participant

Your dad's condition has certainly changed, and I am concerned about that. What have the doctors said regarding your his prognosis? Have they told you what to expect now?

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                        Participant

Take care

Frank from Australia

justlittleoleme
                          Participant

DF,

So sorry to hear about your dad's progression.  I will be praying for you and your family that you will have the strength to deal with whatever comes your way.

barb

justlittleoleme
                            Participant

DF,

So sorry to hear about your dad's progression.  I will be praying for you and your family that you will have the strength to deal with whatever comes your way.

barb

justlittleoleme
                              Participant

DF,

barb

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics