The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Disconcerting news today

Forums General Melanoma Community Disconcerting news today

Participant

My primary Onc called today to report that the single small met on my right, posterior iliac which showed up on a scan done 4 Nov 2013 is now several small mets in my hip area and along my vertebral column all on bone.  We wee hoping my Ipi treatments might shrink the first one into oblivion, but obviously Ipi didn't do its thing for me.  So Monday its off to my #2 Onc (referred by #1) who is an advocate of HD IL-2 and has recently been running a trial on HD IL-2 in concert with BRAF meds.  I am Braf positive.  He also has a BRAF + MEK trial under way as well.  Not sure what direction this will take, but guess it will have to be systemic treatment, was hoping for radiotactical treatment on my single spot…kind of rambling.

My questions are abut others with experience with Mel on bone and its progression for them.  Also are there particular treatments I should key off given all mets are on bone?

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        BrianP
        Participant

Mark,

Sorry I don't have any knowledge of this type condition.  Hopefully others will chime in soon.  Just wanted to let you know how sorry I am about the news and I'll be praying for you.  Best of luck with your upcoming decision.  Sounds like you have some pretty good options.

Brian

BrianP
          Participant

Mark,

Sorry I don't have any knowledge of this type condition.  Hopefully others will chime in soon.  Just wanted to let you know how sorry I am about the news and I'll be praying for you.  Best of luck with your upcoming decision.  Sounds like you have some pretty good options.

Brian

BrianP
            Participant

Mark,

Brian

mark1101
                Participant

TY Brian…problem with mel is there are a lot of choices, but none that actually work!  We need to just stay in the fight long enough for the right option to come along some day.

Mark

mark1101
                  Participant

TY Brian…problem with mel is there are a lot of choices, but none that actually work!  We need to just stay in the fight long enough for the right option to come along some day.

Mark

mark1101
                    Participant

Mark

Fen
                    Participant

I am very sorry about the new, but I agree with Brian – it sounds like you have some excellent options there. Please keep posting about your progress.

Fen
                      Participant

I am very sorry about the new, but I agree with Brian – it sounds like you have some excellent options there. Please keep posting about your progress.

Fen
                        Participant

Bubbles
                          Participant

Sorry Mark,

I know this is not at all what you were hoping for.  I am not a melanoma/bone expert, but am pretty well read on the data and don't know of anything more particular or different in the approach to that as opposed to other melanoma lesions other than perhaps a greater use of radiation like the others have said.  I agree also that you have some options with maybe BRAF or the BRAF/MEK combo at least until anti-PD1 comes on the market and perhaps you could try that then if need be.  There are also trials with antiPDL, the new ADC drug (I know they are still taking occasional patients in Nashville, though I don't know your location or all the trial requirements).  Some places including Moffitt are doing trials with Rose Bengal (PV-10) but you must have a lesion superficial enough to inject and I'm not sure it sounds as though you do.  One other ray of light if your onc does recommend radiation (and I'm not saying they should or shouldn't)…but if they do…there is more and more data showing the benefits of the ipi/radiation combo…even when the patient didn't respond so well to ipi in the first place.  I recently posted some articles talking about that on my blog.

Wishing you my best. Hang in there. Celeste

mark1101
                              Participant

Thank you, Celeste.  I clipped your blog posting to show my Onc on Monday when I see him to provoke conversation about that with him.

Mark

Bubbles
                                Participant

Cool.  Hope you get to have a thoughtful conversation with your doc and develop a treatment plan that you feel good about.  Good luck.  C

Bubbles
                                  Participant

Cool.  Hope you get to have a thoughtful conversation with your doc and develop a treatment plan that you feel good about.  Good luck.  C

Bubbles
                                    Participant

mark1101
                                      Participant

Thank you, Celeste.  I clipped your blog posting to show my Onc on Monday when I see him to provoke conversation about that with him.

Mark

mark1101
                                        Participant

Mark

Bubbles
                                        Participant

Sorry Mark,

I know this is not at all what you were hoping for.  I am not a melanoma/bone expert, but am pretty well read on the data and don't know of anything more particular or different in the approach to that as opposed to other melanoma lesions other than perhaps a greater use of radiation like the others have said.  I agree also that you have some options with maybe BRAF or the BRAF/MEK combo at least until anti-PD1 comes on the market and perhaps you could try that then if need be.  There are also trials with antiPDL, the new ADC drug (I know they are still taking occasional patients in Nashville, though I don't know your location or all the trial requirements).  Some places including Moffitt are doing trials with Rose Bengal (PV-10) but you must have a lesion superficial enough to inject and I'm not sure it sounds as though you do.  One other ray of light if your onc does recommend radiation (and I'm not saying they should or shouldn't)…but if they do…there is more and more data showing the benefits of the ipi/radiation combo…even when the patient didn't respond so well to ipi in the first place.  I recently posted some articles talking about that on my blog.

Bubbles
                                          Participant

Sorry Mark,

arthurjedi007
                                            Participant

I'm in the same situation. So far all my mel is in/on my bones. So far the only thing that worked some was radiation. It was targetted pallative that reduced that area 20%. 8 weeks of max zelboraf did nothing to shrink any mel. For that everything grew except the radiated area. I get my 4th/final ipi dose monday so won't know for quite awhile how it has done.

arthurjedi007
                                              Participant

I'm in the same situation. So far all my mel is in/on my bones. So far the only thing that worked some was radiation. It was targetted pallative that reduced that area 20%. 8 weeks of max zelboraf did nothing to shrink any mel. For that everything grew except the radiated area. I get my 4th/final ipi dose monday so won't know for quite awhile how it has done.

arthurjedi007
                                                Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                  Participant
                                                    If you are in good shape, HD IL-2 is a valid treatment to try if one has a very experienced Oncologist and staff with its administration/side effects.. While only providing a positive response for around 20% of patients, it has provided what is being referred to as a CURE to about 5% of recipients. It is a tough, but do-able treatment with a quick recovery time from each treatment week. (I received 49 bags and was a partial responder for 20 months.) Others have bee free from Melanoma fro over 20 years from IL-2 administration. For some people Ipi has less short term side effects, for others,Ipi has long/longer lasting negative side effects.
                                                    JerryfromFauq
                                                    Participant
                                                      If you are in good shape, HD IL-2 is a valid treatment to try if one has a very experienced Oncologist and staff with its administration/side effects.. While only providing a positive response for around 20% of patients, it has provided what is being referred to as a CURE to about 5% of recipients. It is a tough, but do-able treatment with a quick recovery time from each treatment week. (I received 49 bags and was a partial responder for 20 months.) Others have bee free from Melanoma fro over 20 years from IL-2 administration. For some people Ipi has less short term side effects, for others,Ipi has long/longer lasting negative side effects.
                                                        mark1101
                                                        Participant

Thanks, Jerry.

I am getting cardiac and pulmonary testing in 2 days plus a brain MRI to qualify me for IL-2 given in sequence with vemurafinib in a trial to see if the sequence will improve response and duration over either drug independently.  I finished Ipi this paast fall with no results for me.  Hoping IL-2 will do the trick.

Mark

mark1101
                                                          Participant

Thanks, Jerry.

I am getting cardiac and pulmonary testing in 2 days plus a brain MRI to qualify me for IL-2 given in sequence with vemurafinib in a trial to see if the sequence will improve response and duration over either drug independently.  I finished Ipi this paast fall with no results for me.  Hoping IL-2 will do the trick.

Mark

mark1101
                                                            Participant

Thanks, Jerry.

Mark

JerryfromFauq
                                                            Participant
                                                          Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics