The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Did you lose your eyebrows and eyelashes on ZEL ?

Forums General Melanoma Community Did you lose your eyebrows and eyelashes on ZEL ?

Participant

We are 4 months downrange since Wayne started Zel.  He has just lost his eyelashes and most of his eyebrows.   He's very rlight anyway, but this has really given him the CHEMO LOOK !    He still has some hair, though looks a little like Kelsey Grammer or Jack Nickolson I tell him.   He looks like Jack a lot anyway but a lot better looking.  :-))  

We are 4 months downrange since Wayne started Zel.  He has just lost his eyelashes and most of his eyebrows.   He's very rlight anyway, but this has really given him the CHEMO LOOK !    He still has some hair, though looks a little like Kelsey Grammer or Jack Nickolson I tell him.   He looks like Jack a lot anyway but a lot better looking.  :-))  

He now looks SICK is what I am saying !    He is not a VAIN person, but has turned to caps for the weekend and I've found this fantastic oil for his skin, so it doesn't look or feel so THICK anymore.  

I understand that LIFE is the important thing – not vanity, but like everyone, this has it's challenges for work etc., and is hard reminder.

Did you all lose your eyebrows – eyelashes also ?    Too bad for men – no scarves – no wigs – no makeup.     I try pampering him a lot and giving him skin treatments etc. to help his overall grooming and feeling of self esteem and not LOOKING SICK. 

What's your experience ?

Nancy (devoted wife of 3 X Warrior Wayne) 

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        H555
        Participant

I've also been on Zelboraf since early April. I have had a thick beard for over 40 years, i've been balding and used to have a lot of body hair. all have been affected. my beard is both greyer and thinner and my hair is also much thinner, slower growing and has changed texture. but every time i look in the mirror i remind myself that the drug is working. more than 90% of my malignancies (lungs) are gone and the rest are all smaller. I don't really like the look nor the challenges of UV exposure as I'm used to being outdoors a lot but if that's the trade off, so be it.

H555
          Participant

I've also been on Zelboraf since early April. I have had a thick beard for over 40 years, i've been balding and used to have a lot of body hair. all have been affected. my beard is both greyer and thinner and my hair is also much thinner, slower growing and has changed texture. but every time i look in the mirror i remind myself that the drug is working. more than 90% of my malignancies (lungs) are gone and the rest are all smaller. I don't really like the look nor the challenges of UV exposure as I'm used to being outdoors a lot but if that's the trade off, so be it.

H555
            Participant

jmmm
              Participant
                My husband has been on Zelboraf for 10 months. He has no eyebrows or eyelashes, body hair is much thinner and the hair on his head is a weird texture. At one point he lost almost all the hair on his head and all the hair on his body. Turns out he couldn’t tolerate the full dose. He’s on a lower dose, but still missing hair. He just wears a hat and although not a vain person at all, this has bothered him a lot. Again, we figure this is better than the alternative, since he’s NED:)
                  Snickers60
                  Participant

I was just reading this to Wayne and he cracked a joke as usual and said: "I don't have hair in my nose either" !   He too has lost a LOT of body hair…almost non-existent on his arms.   Chest is much lighter too.  His hair has also turned gray….and has a very strange texture.  We work on it it a lot.   It's almost like it's trying to be CURLY – and very fine feeling.    We finally decided SHORTER is better and I cut it for him today – he still has enough to look OK,  and did not wear cap to grocery.  πŸ™‚  

I had read where some folks said it started coming back after a time.  I sure hope this is the case…..but we'll take "NED" OVER HAIR anyday, and I know you guys will too.   LIFE ….it happens !   So long as I can keep him here in this den with me on Sunday afternoon – I do not care if he ever has hair again !!!    πŸ™‚

meldad
                    Participant

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board but have been following A LOT of your post's for a long time now.

My dad started taking Zelboraf in June this year and he is just starting to lose his hair as well. His only 54 so it is starting to make him look sicker and makes me feel a bit down also, but like you have all said he could go completely bald as long as Zelboraf keeps working!

Our next scans are at the start of Novemeber, so I'm just praying it continues to work.

I can't tell you how good it is to read good stories about Zel, it definitely give's people hope, even if it is people like me that are just lurking in the background.

Snickers60
                      Participant

I try to help Wayne stay very groomed.   Work on his skin, nails, facials, YEP – the works –  and I think it helps him to feel better about himself.   He still has some hair, but you can tell something is WRONG !     We found a great OIL for his face and his DERM gave him something for acne that has actually softened his face up like a baby and has cleared up spots like crazy.    His face was rough/thick looking in the beginning.   We've learned several tricks for his hair that helps and just KEEP WORKING ON IT.    It is what it is, and you just do the best you can, but he felt like he looked well this morning.  HE IS NOT PALE looking and that helps.   If his eyelashes would grow back – he never had many – that would be the ticket, but I do not know if that will happen on Zel or not.    HE'S ALIVE – AND while I'll work on the little things for him, HE'S ALIVE………HE'S HERE… and that's my focus, as I know it is all of yours. 

Snickers60
                        Participant

I try to help Wayne stay very groomed.   Work on his skin, nails, facials, YEP – the works –  and I think it helps him to feel better about himself.   He still has some hair, but you can tell something is WRONG !     We found a great OIL for his face and his DERM gave him something for acne that has actually softened his face up like a baby and has cleared up spots like crazy.    His face was rough/thick looking in the beginning.   We've learned several tricks for his hair that helps and just KEEP WORKING ON IT.    It is what it is, and you just do the best you can, but he felt like he looked well this morning.  HE IS NOT PALE looking and that helps.   If his eyelashes would grow back – he never had many – that would be the ticket, but I do not know if that will happen on Zel or not.    HE'S ALIVE – AND while I'll work on the little things for him, HE'S ALIVE………HE'S HERE… and that's my focus, as I know it is all of yours. 

Snickers60
                          Participant

meldad
                            Participant

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board but have been following A LOT of your post's for a long time now.

My dad started taking Zelboraf in June this year and he is just starting to lose his hair as well. His only 54 so it is starting to make him look sicker and makes me feel a bit down also, but like you have all said he could go completely bald as long as Zelboraf keeps working!

Our next scans are at the start of Novemeber, so I'm just praying it continues to work.

I can't tell you how good it is to read good stories about Zel, it definitely give's people hope, even if it is people like me that are just lurking in the background.

meldad
                              Participant

Hi everyone,

Snickers60
                                Participant

I was just reading this to Wayne and he cracked a joke as usual and said: "I don't have hair in my nose either" !   He too has lost a LOT of body hair…almost non-existent on his arms.   Chest is much lighter too.  His hair has also turned gray….and has a very strange texture.  We work on it it a lot.   It's almost like it's trying to be CURLY – and very fine feeling.    We finally decided SHORTER is better and I cut it for him today – he still has enough to look OK,  and did not wear cap to grocery.  πŸ™‚  

I had read where some folks said it started coming back after a time.  I sure hope this is the case…..but we'll take "NED" OVER HAIR anyday, and I know you guys will too.   LIFE ….it happens !   So long as I can keep him here in this den with me on Sunday afternoon – I do not care if he ever has hair again !!!    πŸ™‚

Snickers60
                                  Participant

jmmm
                                  Participant
                                    My husband has been on Zelboraf for 10 months. He has no eyebrows or eyelashes, body hair is much thinner and the hair on his head is a weird texture. At one point he lost almost all the hair on his head and all the hair on his body. Turns out he couldn’t tolerate the full dose. He’s on a lower dose, but still missing hair. He just wears a hat and although not a vain person at all, this has bothered him a lot. Again, we figure this is better than the alternative, since he’s NED:)
                                    jmmm
                                    Participant
                                      Erinmay22
                                      Participant

It's interesting because I just did a blog post about this the other day.  I started Z May 30th.  Took it about 10 days before I had to take a week off for a horrible rash.  have been on the 3 pills 2x's per day since Jun 15th.  

I noticed right away that my eye lashes were falling out.  It took a little while before all my hair started falling out.  Luckily I have always had very thick hair but I know I've lost probably 2/3's of it now.  Most my friends don't notice.  I also noticed over the weekend that my eyebrows are now pretty much all gone.  Yep I've become quite the catch πŸ™‚  

But like others said – as long as it's killin' cancer – I'll take the side effects.  

http://melanomaandthecity.blogspot.com/2012/08/vain-me.html

Erinmay22
                                        Participant

It's interesting because I just did a blog post about this the other day.  I started Z May 30th.  Took it about 10 days before I had to take a week off for a horrible rash.  have been on the 3 pills 2x's per day since Jun 15th.  

I noticed right away that my eye lashes were falling out.  It took a little while before all my hair started falling out.  Luckily I have always had very thick hair but I know I've lost probably 2/3's of it now.  Most my friends don't notice.  I also noticed over the weekend that my eyebrows are now pretty much all gone.  Yep I've become quite the catch πŸ™‚  

But like others said – as long as it's killin' cancer – I'll take the side effects.  

awillett1991
                                            Participant
                                              I’ve lost loads also, and what I have on my arms and legs is very thin. However…. Eyebrows just started growing back last week and I think the thinning on my head has stopped just in the last couple of days!! Ive already lost so much I do wear a hat or a wig a lot of the time though, and I had loads of long, very thick hair. Now I just look like a cancer patient. Blech.
                                              awillett1991
                                              Participant
                                                I’ve lost loads also, and what I have on my arms and legs is very thin. However…. Eyebrows just started growing back last week and I think the thinning on my head has stopped just in the last couple of days!! Ive already lost so much I do wear a hat or a wig a lot of the time though, and I had loads of long, very thick hair. Now I just look like a cancer patient. Blech.
                                                awillett1991
                                                Participant
                                                Erinmay22
                                                Participant

Tina D
                                                  Participant

Yeppers, I have also lost my eyebrows, most of my lashes, and most of the hair on my head.Plus everything else except for the leg hair that I wish would quit growing, haha!

It is a minor thing on the one hand, since we know it is just a side effect, but it DOES affect how you feel when you look in the mirror, and how you feel your appearance affects others. I KNOW I look more ill with my sparce hair, and I always try to keep the kids from ever seeing me without atleast a cap( usually a wig), and I really try to keep a cotton night-cap on when I sleep. Plus, with the skin changes and all, well…. indecision

I just think it is SO sweet that you help him keep lotioned, and pampered,and such. He is very well cared for smiley . What a blessed man to have you!

I never thought about it possibly even being more challenging for a man, but I can sure see what you are saying! Hopefully it will start growing back as some people have reported.

Tina

Tina D
                                                    Participant

Yeppers, I have also lost my eyebrows, most of my lashes, and most of the hair on my head.Plus everything else except for the leg hair that I wish would quit growing, haha!

It is a minor thing on the one hand, since we know it is just a side effect, but it DOES affect how you feel when you look in the mirror, and how you feel your appearance affects others. I KNOW I look more ill with my sparce hair, and I always try to keep the kids from ever seeing me without atleast a cap( usually a wig), and I really try to keep a cotton night-cap on when I sleep. Plus, with the skin changes and all, well…. indecision

I just think it is SO sweet that you help him keep lotioned, and pampered,and such. He is very well cared for smiley . What a blessed man to have you!

I never thought about it possibly even being more challenging for a man, but I can sure see what you are saying! Hopefully it will start growing back as some people have reported.

Tina

Tina D
                                                      Participant

Tina

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics