The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Diabetic and first PET/CT scan

Forums General Melanoma Community Diabetic and first PET/CT scan

Participant

Good morning everyone. I found a new lump in my neck and had fine needle biopsy, negative. Now scheduled for PET/CT. My concern is I am diabetic on insulin and the facility won't do my scan if my blood sugar is not below 170 prior to scan.  I am eating high protein, very low carb and adjusting insulin per my Diabetes doctor instructions. Does anyone out there have any experience with this situation? As you may imagine it is causing me stress that this scan may be canceled and I know stress drives up blood sugar as well.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Kim K
        Participant

Work with your radiologists.  Your situation is not uncommon.  Hopefully you are able to keep your BG below 170 regardless.  Your team will work with you as far as fasting without going into insulin shock.  They can still do it, but it may be more difficult to interpret. unless your BG is not controlled well.

Best of luck.

KK

Kim K
          Participant

Work with your radiologists.  Your situation is not uncommon.  Hopefully you are able to keep your BG below 170 regardless.  Your team will work with you as far as fasting without going into insulin shock.  They can still do it, but it may be more difficult to interpret. unless your BG is not controlled well.

Best of luck.

KK

Kim K
            Participant

Best of luck.

KK

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics