The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Desperate Mom looking for suggestions on diet, supplements, and integrative treatment for 19 year old son.

Forums General Melanoma Community Desperate Mom looking for suggestions on diet, supplements, and integrative treatment for 19 year old son.

Participant

My 19 year old son, Michael, has Stage 4 M1c Melanoma as of his latest PET/CT Scan on 11/7/11, which showed that 2 tumors have grown in his spleen and 2 possible minute tumors near the original site of his right neck. He is currently a second year student at Cal Poly Pomona.

My 19 year old son, Michael, has Stage 4 M1c Melanoma as of his latest PET/CT Scan on 11/7/11, which showed that 2 tumors have grown in his spleen and 2 possible minute tumors near the original site of his right neck. He is currently a second year student at Cal Poly Pomona.

History: He was originally diagnosed with Melanoma in March 2011. Michael had two surgeries in April & June 2011, of which 15 lymph nodes had melanoma tumors up to 1.1 cm of the 65 lymph nodes removed, from his right neck. At this point, he had Stage 3C Melanoma. Michael started Sylatron, which is Pegylated Interferon, on July 24, 2011, which was approved by the FDA in March 2011. Michael choose not to do radiation. He completed 16 weeks of the Sylatron until it was determined that the Sylatron was not working and the Melanoma had metastasized. Michael’s oncologist, Dr. Gregory Daniels of UCSD Cancer Center, then had Michael’s tumor tested for the BRAF Gene Mutation Analysis (negative) and blood tested for the Human Leukocyte Antigen (HLA)-A2-peptide complexes (positive).

Since the HLA – A2 came back positive, it is a possibility that Michael could be put on one of the clinical trials for Adoptive T cell therapy. (Adoptive T cell therapy  – ACT – consists of isolating tumor reactive lymphocytes from a patient, growing and activating them in the laboratory, and infusing them back into the autologous patient). He is going to the National Cancer Institute to meet with them to determine his next treatment option after he finishes this quarter in 2 weeks. Michael will not return to school this next quarter knowing it is imperative to start a new treatment as soon as possible.

Up until now, he has modified his diet to consuming more whole foods but not to the extent of my liking. When he was home for the summer, we were able to keep an eye on his diet. But since he has been away at school, I know he has tried, but he has not always stuck with the plan.

I would like him to start an alkaline diet plan with daily juicing, additional natural supplements and incorporating integrative treatments such as mindfulness classes and acupuncture into his routine. We have tried to eliminate as many toxins from his daily life by using safer body and cleaning products. I feel that he may have additional exposure to toxins when he surfs. Michael has been surfing since he was 10 years old, and it is just as much a meditation activity as it is exercise for him. Therefore, I cannot take that away from him. So, any pointers to help eliminate/reduce toxins would be appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read Michael’s Melanoma story. I would deeply appreciate if you could let us know what your current or past Melanoma Plan is. By reading what others have done to make their Melanoma Plan successful, I am sure it will confirm in Michael’s mind that he should make those same changes. Take care.

Pattie

Melanoma Mom

"Life's Perfect Moments Are Now" 

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        CKasper
        Participant

After being diagnosed stage III, with melanoma in my l ymph system, I went on a herbal detox called Floressence.

A naturalpathic suggested to me.  The heral detox came in a liquid bottle and was pretty expensive.  I took this religiously, and after two weeks I felt almost human again.  My Onc said I looked great.  The way it was explained to me is that it was a very gentle detox to get ride of the heavy metals and toxic substances in the body.  I swear by it for me.

I also went on a totally organic diet, high in fiber, low in carbs, low in proteins such a meat, high in fresh vegetables, fruits, etc. 

I don't know if this will help, but I  thought I'd pass it along.  Of course you should probably talk to your son's doctor if you decided on the Floressence regime just to make certain it doesn't mess up anything he is currently taking.

Pattie
            Participant

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the herbal detox, Floressence, I had come across it in my research, but it is much more reassuring to hear about a successful experience.

I totally agree with the organic diet. I started a vegan cooking class this week to set us off in the right direction. It is hard to break old habits, but I am trying.

Warm regards,

Pattie

Pattie
              Participant

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the herbal detox, Floressence, I had come across it in my research, but it is much more reassuring to hear about a successful experience.

I totally agree with the organic diet. I started a vegan cooking class this week to set us off in the right direction. It is hard to break old habits, but I am trying.

Warm regards,

Pattie

Pattie
                Participant

Hello,

Warm regards,

Pattie

CKasper
                Participant

After being diagnosed stage III, with melanoma in my l ymph system, I went on a herbal detox called Floressence.

A naturalpathic suggested to me.  The heral detox came in a liquid bottle and was pretty expensive.  I took this religiously, and after two weeks I felt almost human again.  My Onc said I looked great.  The way it was explained to me is that it was a very gentle detox to get ride of the heavy metals and toxic substances in the body.  I swear by it for me.

I also went on a totally organic diet, high in fiber, low in carbs, low in proteins such a meat, high in fresh vegetables, fruits, etc. 

I don't know if this will help, but I  thought I'd pass it along.  Of course you should probably talk to your son's doctor if you decided on the Floressence regime just to make certain it doesn't mess up anything he is currently taking.

CKasper
                  Participant

Becky
                    Participant

Hi Pattie

My heart goes out to you. My son was dx July 2009 stage 3A. He was just about to start his senior year of college, just before his 21st birthday. He did a year of interferon and took one semester off, but went back the second and graduated in December.

For him my main concern was eating enough..he has always been on the thin side and with surgeries and interferon he didnt have much of an appetite. So I was always happy to see him eating, even if it wasnt always the healthiest choices. I also felt like I wanted him to feel like a "normal" college kid and so if he had a few beers at a party, I was happy he felt good enough to go to a party and tried not to dwell on how it could effect his treatment. So, if surfing makes your son happy, i say let him surf!

hang in there…

Becky

Pattie
                        Participant

Hello Becky,

Thank you for sharing your encouraging words about your son and him graduating from college. I know my son will get there too! He is getting a new surf board for Christmas…:)

Warm regards,

Pattie

Pattie
                          Participant

Hello Becky,

Thank you for sharing your encouraging words about your son and him graduating from college. I know my son will get there too! He is getting a new surf board for Christmas…:)

Warm regards,

Pattie

Pattie
                            Participant

Hello Becky,

Warm regards,

Pattie

Becky
                            Participant

Hi Pattie

My heart goes out to you. My son was dx July 2009 stage 3A. He was just about to start his senior year of college, just before his 21st birthday. He did a year of interferon and took one semester off, but went back the second and graduated in December.

For him my main concern was eating enough..he has always been on the thin side and with surgeries and interferon he didnt have much of an appetite. So I was always happy to see him eating, even if it wasnt always the healthiest choices. I also felt like I wanted him to feel like a "normal" college kid and so if he had a few beers at a party, I was happy he felt good enough to go to a party and tried not to dwell on how it could effect his treatment. So, if surfing makes your son happy, i say let him surf!

hang in there…

Becky

Becky
                              Participant

Hi Pattie

hang in there…

Becky

Bubbles
                                Participant
                                  My heart aches for you. Having melanoma myself is bad enough, but the thought of it being an issue for one of my kids is just… I strongly urge you to look at options like TIL, ipi (now Yervoy), and trials with anti-pd1. I have been an exercise and healthy food fanatic all my life and melanoma didn’t care. Don’t get me wrong….healthy diet and exercise are still important and I continue to practice that lifestyle and advocate it for all the children I care for as a pediatric nurse practitioner, however, I fear that alone will not be enough for your son. Search out his treatment options with oncologists and institutions who specialize melanoma. Wishing you both the very best. Celeste
                                    FormerCaregiver
                                    Participant

Celeste, I would like to wholeheartedly agree with your comments about healthy diet and exercise. As you have said "melanoma didn't care".

I have written about natural therapies in the past, and feel that they can be helpful in keeping the immune system healthy. However, melanoma is a very devious cancer and it needs to be treated in a sophisticated way by options like the ones you have mentioned.

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                      Participant

Celeste, I would like to wholeheartedly agree with your comments about healthy diet and exercise. As you have said "melanoma didn't care".

I have written about natural therapies in the past, and feel that they can be helpful in keeping the immune system healthy. However, melanoma is a very devious cancer and it needs to be treated in a sophisticated way by options like the ones you have mentioned.

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                        Participant

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

Pattie
                                          Participant

Hello Celeste,

My son has a screening appointment at NCI to be placed into a possible TIL Trial in a few weeks. We are being positive that they find him a trial that will be a good match. I appreiciate your encouragement to stick with a conventional treatment.  I had heard awhile ago that "melanoma is schizophrenic", so we are doing our best to hit it at all angles.  

Thanks for your kind words, 

Pattie

Pattie
                                            Participant

Hello Celeste,

My son has a screening appointment at NCI to be placed into a possible TIL Trial in a few weeks. We are being positive that they find him a trial that will be a good match. I appreiciate your encouragement to stick with a conventional treatment.  I had heard awhile ago that "melanoma is schizophrenic", so we are doing our best to hit it at all angles.  

Pattie

Pattie
                                              Participant

Hello Celeste,

Pattie

Bubbles
                                              Participant
                                                My heart aches for you. Having melanoma myself is bad enough, but the thought of it being an issue for one of my kids is just… I strongly urge you to look at options like TIL, ipi (now Yervoy), and trials with anti-pd1. I have been an exercise and healthy food fanatic all my life and melanoma didn’t care. Don’t get me wrong….healthy diet and exercise are still important and I continue to practice that lifestyle and advocate it for all the children I care for as a pediatric nurse practitioner, however, I fear that alone will not be enough for your son. Search out his treatment options with oncologists and institutions who specialize melanoma. Wishing you both the very best. Celeste
                                                Bubbles
                                                Participant
                                                  justlittleoleme
                                                  Participant

Diet and supplements in my opinion can't substitute for modern medicine.  My husband had been on supplements for a few years.  I believe it helped delay recurrence but ultimately it didn't prevent it.

I think that everything you do can help.  Whether it be diet, supplement, exercise, medicine.  However, I think that you can't do just one and expect success.

Melanoma is a tricky cancer that certainly doesn't follow any rules.

justlittleoleme
                                                    Participant

Diet and supplements in my opinion can't substitute for modern medicine.  My husband had been on supplements for a few years.  I believe it helped delay recurrence but ultimately it didn't prevent it.

I think that everything you do can help.  Whether it be diet, supplement, exercise, medicine.  However, I think that you can't do just one and expect success.

justlittleoleme
                                                      Participant

Pattie
                                                          Participant

Hello Justlittleoleme,

I appreciate your words of experience with this schizophrenic melanona. We are seeking conventional treatment with additional integrative support.

Best to you and your husband,

Pattie

Pattie
                                                            Participant

Hello Justlittleoleme,

I appreciate your words of experience with this schizophrenic melanona. We are seeking conventional treatment with additional integrative support.

Pattie

Pattie
                                                              Participant

Hello Justlittleoleme,

Pattie

Rebecca and Bob
                                                              Participant

Pattie,

Sorry to hear your son is dealing with this. My husband goes to NIH, we think they are great.  He is Stage IV since April 2008 NED 2 years, we visit NIH every four months for scans. We would jump on anything they offered if this disease comes back.  This is just a personal opinion so take that for what's it worth. My husband does not juice, we feel it adds to much sugar in the diet, especially carrot juicing. The main thing my husband does is add Tumeric spices to foods like Brocolli, shitaki mushrooms and onions with a little honey to make it taste better in one dish we probably put 1 tablespoon of Tumeric. Someone else here offered this recipe and we have continued to use it.  There is a lot of thoughts that Tumeric kills cancer cells. Again, this is just what we do, only an opinion not saying it's for everyone or whether it works. Also, make sure your son keeps a good weight, make sure a diet doesn't mean he loses weight because I have watched my husband go through treatments and surgeries and I am thankful he had a few pounds to spare because he wasn't eating during any of those times and lost a lot of weight. I would just say watch the sugar. My husband also attends free clinics at the life cancer centers, they offer free Reiki sessions to mainly women with breast cancer, but it's for anyone with cancer and it's considered an energy healing for cancer patients. My husband feels it helps him and I think that is what is important, your son will need to find what he feels helps him.

Good luck with your son's treatments and he's lucky to have you in his corner researching.

Rebecca

Rebecca and Bob
                                                                Participant

Pattie,

Sorry to hear your son is dealing with this. My husband goes to NIH, we think they are great.  He is Stage IV since April 2008 NED 2 years, we visit NIH every four months for scans. We would jump on anything they offered if this disease comes back.  This is just a personal opinion so take that for what's it worth. My husband does not juice, we feel it adds to much sugar in the diet, especially carrot juicing. The main thing my husband does is add Tumeric spices to foods like Brocolli, shitaki mushrooms and onions with a little honey to make it taste better in one dish we probably put 1 tablespoon of Tumeric. Someone else here offered this recipe and we have continued to use it.  There is a lot of thoughts that Tumeric kills cancer cells. Again, this is just what we do, only an opinion not saying it's for everyone or whether it works. Also, make sure your son keeps a good weight, make sure a diet doesn't mean he loses weight because I have watched my husband go through treatments and surgeries and I am thankful he had a few pounds to spare because he wasn't eating during any of those times and lost a lot of weight. I would just say watch the sugar. My husband also attends free clinics at the life cancer centers, they offer free Reiki sessions to mainly women with breast cancer, but it's for anyone with cancer and it's considered an energy healing for cancer patients. My husband feels it helps him and I think that is what is important, your son will need to find what he feels helps him.

Good luck with your son's treatments and he's lucky to have you in his corner researching.

Rebecca

Pattie
                                                                    Participant

Hello Rebecca,

Glad to hear you had great success with NIH. My son has a screening appointment in 2 weeks there. We are being hopefull that one of the Cell Therapy Trials will be a good match for him.

Thanks for all of your tips for diet and your input about juicing. I had read that juicing with carrots has way too much sugar. I would love to have your receipe for the Brocolli & Turmeric Dish. I have jars of it on my counter right now. Can you post it again or send it directly to me at pcaraglio@roadrunner,com ?

He will be home in a week, and I will encourge him to take part in his own energy healing.

I appreciate you taking the time to write and help.

Warm regards,

Pattie

Pattie
                                                                      Participant

Hello Rebecca,

Glad to hear you had great success with NIH. My son has a screening appointment in 2 weeks there. We are being hopefull that one of the Cell Therapy Trials will be a good match for him.

Thanks for all of your tips for diet and your input about juicing. I had read that juicing with carrots has way too much sugar. I would love to have your receipe for the Brocolli & Turmeric Dish. I have jars of it on my counter right now. Can you post it again or send it directly to me at pcaraglio@roadrunner,com ?

He will be home in a week, and I will encourge him to take part in his own energy healing.

Warm regards,

Pattie

Pattie
                                                                        Participant

Hello Rebecca,

Warm regards,

Pattie

melanomabegone
                                                                          Participant

I just joined this site and am only just now starting down this road. Boy am I learning and thanks to you all.

Tumeric contains curcumin as the active ingredient and is one of the most researched spice. Curmumin has been proven to be effective against the biological pathways that leads to cancer as well as when cancer is already present. 

http://journals.lww.com/melanomaresearch/Abstract/2007/10000/Curcumin_downregulates_the_constitutive_activity.2.aspx  Curcumin downregulates the constitutive activity of NF-[kappa]B and induces apoptosis in novel mouse melanoma cells

ABSTRACT: Melanoma, the most deadly form of skin cancer, is very aggressive and resistant to present therapies. The transcription factor nuclear factor-kappa B (NF-κB) has been reported to be constitutively active in many types of cancer. Constitutively active NF-κB seen in melanoma likely plays a central role in cell survival and growth. We have established and characterized novel cell lines from our murine melanoma model. Here we report the constitutive activity of NF-κB in these melanoma-derived cells, as shown by electrophoretic mobility shift assay and reporter assays. We hypothesized that agents that inhibit NF-κB may also inhibit cell proliferation and may induce apoptosis in such melanoma cells. Curcumin has been shown to inhibit NF-κB activity in several cell types. In our system, curcumin selectively inhibited growth of melanoma cells, but not normal melanocytes. Curcumin induced melanoma cells to undergo apoptosis, as shown by caspase-3 activation, inversion of membrane phosphatidyl serine, and increases in cells in the sub-G1 phase. A curcumin dose-dependent inhibition of NF-κB-driven reporter activity correlated with decreased levels of phospho-IκBα, and decreased expression of NF-κB-target genes COX-2 and cyclin D1. This study demonstrates that the use of cells from our model system can facilitate studies of signaling pathways in melanoma. We furthermore conclude that curcumin, a natural and safe compound, inhibits NF-κB activity and the expression of its downstream target genes, and also selectively induces apoptosis of melanoma cells but not normal melanocytes. These encouraging in-vitro results support further investigation of curcumin for treatment of melanoma in vivo.

Curcumin does not absorb very well but the "Bio-Curcumin" is said to be much better absorbed. You can gey iy here is you so desire:

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements/Item00407/Super-Bio-Curcumin.html?source=search&key=Super Bio-Curcumin  Super Bio-Curcumin®

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_12?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=bio-curcumin&sprefix=Bio-Curcumin  

Also good information here is a long article titled:  Spices as influencers of body metabolism: an overview of three decades of research by Krishnapura Srinivasan        I have the English version in pdf but cannot upload here. Now I can only find it in Spanish just because I live in Costa Rica. Maddening sometimes.

Check these out. Good luck.  Dennis

melanomabegone
                                                                            Participant

I just joined this site and am only just now starting down this road. Boy am I learning and thanks to you all.

Tumeric contains curcumin as the active ingredient and is one of the most researched spice. Curmumin has been proven to be effective against the biological pathways that leads to cancer as well as when cancer is already present. 

http://journals.lww.com/melanomaresearch/Abstract/2007/10000/Curcumin_downregulates_the_constitutive_activity.2.aspx  Curcumin downregulates the constitutive activity of NF-[kappa]B and induces apoptosis in novel mouse melanoma cells

ABSTRACT: Melanoma, the most deadly form of skin cancer, is very aggressive and resistant to present therapies. The transcription factor nuclear factor-kappa B (NF-κB) has been reported to be constitutively active in many types of cancer. Constitutively active NF-κB seen in melanoma likely plays a central role in cell survival and growth. We have established and characterized novel cell lines from our murine melanoma model. Here we report the constitutive activity of NF-κB in these melanoma-derived cells, as shown by electrophoretic mobility shift assay and reporter assays. We hypothesized that agents that inhibit NF-κB may also inhibit cell proliferation and may induce apoptosis in such melanoma cells. Curcumin has been shown to inhibit NF-κB activity in several cell types. In our system, curcumin selectively inhibited growth of melanoma cells, but not normal melanocytes. Curcumin induced melanoma cells to undergo apoptosis, as shown by caspase-3 activation, inversion of membrane phosphatidyl serine, and increases in cells in the sub-G1 phase. A curcumin dose-dependent inhibition of NF-κB-driven reporter activity correlated with decreased levels of phospho-IκBα, and decreased expression of NF-κB-target genes COX-2 and cyclin D1. This study demonstrates that the use of cells from our model system can facilitate studies of signaling pathways in melanoma. We furthermore conclude that curcumin, a natural and safe compound, inhibits NF-κB activity and the expression of its downstream target genes, and also selectively induces apoptosis of melanoma cells but not normal melanocytes. These encouraging in-vitro results support further investigation of curcumin for treatment of melanoma in vivo.

Curcumin does not absorb very well but the "Bio-Curcumin" is said to be much better absorbed. You can gey iy here is you so desire:

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements/Item00407/Super-Bio-Curcumin.html?source=search&key=Super Bio-Curcumin  Super Bio-Curcumin®

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_12?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=bio-curcumin&sprefix=Bio-Curcumin  

Also good information here is a long article titled:  Spices as influencers of body metabolism: an overview of three decades of research by Krishnapura Srinivasan        I have the English version in pdf but cannot upload here. Now I can only find it in Spanish just because I live in Costa Rica. Maddening sometimes.

melanomabegone
                                                                              Participant

Rebecca and Bob
                                                                              Participant

Pattie,

Rebecca

Gene_S
                                                                                Participant

Hello Pattie,

My suggestion is for you to obtain and read the book "The Maker's Diet" by Jordan Rubin! The 40 day diet program to reach your ideal weight, boost your immune system, is based on Biblical principles!  This author had a serious cancer at a young age and reversed his fate through his diet and his faith. Do a online search on The Maker's Diet by Jordan Rubin! 

I am a firm believer that a lack of Vitamin D  (sunshine) has a lot to do with most of today cancer's. Do a search (here on this web site) using my user name if you want more info on Vitamin D and the proper way to get tested. You should also start reading the daily emails (sign up for free on their website) from http://www.naturalnews.com

Best Wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                                                                                  Participant

Hello Pattie,

My suggestion is for you to obtain and read the book "The Maker's Diet" by Jordan Rubin! The 40 day diet program to reach your ideal weight, boost your immune system, is based on Biblical principles!  This author had a serious cancer at a young age and reversed his fate through his diet and his faith. Do a online search on The Maker's Diet by Jordan Rubin! 

I am a firm believer that a lack of Vitamin D  (sunshine) has a lot to do with most of today cancer's. Do a search (here on this web site) using my user name if you want more info on Vitamin D and the proper way to get tested. You should also start reading the daily emails (sign up for free on their website) from http://www.naturalnews.com

Best Wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                                                                                    Participant

Hello Pattie,

Best Wishes,

Gene

dian in spokane
                                                                                      Participant

I hope that the treatment at NCI will be very effective for your son. His youth will work in his favor, and having such a strong supportive family.

But the melanoma is his. He is the one who must face it. There is very little evidence that any kind of diet can be an obstacle in the path of melanoma.

If I were he, (and in a small way I am) I'd be surfing every day. And eating Creme Brulee.

He should surf, and eat, drink whisky, make love, dance, and sing, and learn and curse and pray.

The very last thing I would want to do in the face of melanoma is eat kelp.

As a mother, I ache for you, to see your son go through this. But as a patient, I would just..gently urge you to help him make his own decisions and resist the impulse to force your own.

I hope that we will see news from you soon that your son has had GIGANTIC success in fighting his melanoma. And I'm sorry to have to welcome you to this board. I cannot really imagine what it would be like to see one of my children have to fight this disease.

Dian

dian in spokane
                                                                                        Participant

I hope that the treatment at NCI will be very effective for your son. His youth will work in his favor, and having such a strong supportive family.

But the melanoma is his. He is the one who must face it. There is very little evidence that any kind of diet can be an obstacle in the path of melanoma.

If I were he, (and in a small way I am) I'd be surfing every day. And eating Creme Brulee.

He should surf, and eat, drink whisky, make love, dance, and sing, and learn and curse and pray.

As a mother, I ache for you, to see your son go through this. But as a patient, I would just..gently urge you to help him make his own decisions and resist the impulse to force your own.

I hope that we will see news from you soon that your son has had GIGANTIC success in fighting his melanoma. And I'm sorry to have to welcome you to this board. I cannot really imagine what it would be like to see one of my children have to fight this disease.

Dian

dian in spokane
                                                                                          Participant

Dian

Pattie
                                                                                              Participant

Hello Dian,

Yes, you are right with the fact that it is my son's melanoma and it is his fight and life.

But it is the guilt I carry, since my father died at age 52 from melanoma. So, I just simply hover. And as his parents, we want to give him every opportunity possible to be cured.  Plus the ability to enjoy his life.

(He probably gets some kelp from surfing!)

Thank you for your words of wisdom and encouraging words. Congratulations to you for all the years of winning over melanoma.

I will keep you posted of his success. Take care.

Warm regards,

Pattie

dian in spokane
                                                                                                Participant

Pattie,

I hope you can let go of the guilt. There is nothing you could have done to prevent this. And it is in no way your fault. You need to find a balance where you can enjoy every second with your son while still finding every way you can to help him. I wish you all the best.

I read some excerpts from a great book today called "Enjoy Every Sandwich" which you might want to look into.

I hope your surfer boy kicks melanoma's ass!

dian

dian in spokane
                                                                                                  Participant

Pattie,

I hope you can let go of the guilt. There is nothing you could have done to prevent this. And it is in no way your fault. You need to find a balance where you can enjoy every second with your son while still finding every way you can to help him. I wish you all the best.

I read some excerpts from a great book today called "Enjoy Every Sandwich" which you might want to look into.

dian

Pattie
                                                                                                    Participant

Hello Dian,

I appreciate your words of wisdom for letting go of the guilt. I am going to look or order that book!

Best wishes,

Pattie

Pattie
                                                                                                      Participant

Hello Dian,

I appreciate your words of wisdom for letting go of the guilt. I am going to look or order that book!

Best wishes,

Pattie

Pattie
                                                                                                        Participant

Hello Dian,

Best wishes,

Pattie

dian in spokane
                                                                                                          Participant

Pattie,

dian

Pattie
                                                                                                            Participant

Hello Dian,

Yes, you are right with the fact that it is my son's melanoma and it is his fight and life.

But it is the guilt I carry, since my father died at age 52 from melanoma. So, I just simply hover. And as his parents, we want to give him every opportunity possible to be cured.  Plus the ability to enjoy his life.

Thank you for your words of wisdom and encouraging words. Congratulations to you for all the years of winning over melanoma.

Warm regards,

Pattie

Pattie
                                                                                                              Participant

Hello Dian,

Warm regards,

Pattie

Jim M.
                                                                                                              Participant

Hi Pattie,

Two weeks after I was diagnosed in 10/07 I changed my diet to whole grains, legumes, etc. The supplements I take are Nordic Naturals Fish Oil (Omega 3), Quercetin (has similar properties to Curcumin), Garlinase garlic tablet, a green powdered drink called Green Vibrance and fresh ground flaxseed over cereal. I used to take AHCC until it interacted with the Hydrocortisone I need to take. Look up the benefits of these supplements.

Other books I'd recommend are, "Beating Cancer with Nutrition", "Challenge Cancer and Win", "Anticancer, a New Way of Life" and "Foods to Fight Cancer".

I'm sure the Ipi I was on didn't hurt either!!

Best of success to your son and God Bless,

Jim M.

stage 3C

NED: 4 years +

SuzannefromCA
                                                                                                                  Participant

Hi Pattie,

What I have done is buy organic whenever possible and consume lots of green veggies. I also have cut down on sugar consumption, but I like the good for you 70% and above dark chocolate.  A book that I like is called Crazy Sexy Diet, by Kris Carr. She also wrote Crazy Sexy Cancer. I am so sorry your son is going through this nightmare.

Pattie
                                                                                                                    Participant

Hello Suzanne,

Love your tips! My son comes home tomorrow from college and we are ready to do another diet modification and start juicing. I did purchase 2 of Kris Carr's books and will encourage my son to read them both.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your successful tips.

Best wishes,

Pattie

Pattie
                                                                                                                      Participant

Hello Suzanne,

Love your tips! My son comes home tomorrow from college and we are ready to do another diet modification and start juicing. I did purchase 2 of Kris Carr's books and will encourage my son to read them both.

Best wishes,

Pattie

Pattie
                                                                                                                        Participant

Hello Suzanne,

Best wishes,

Pattie

SuzannefromCA
                                                                                                                          Participant

Hi Pattie,

What I have done is buy organic whenever possible and consume lots of green veggies. I also have cut down on sugar consumption, but I like the good for you 70% and above dark chocolate.  A book that I like is called Crazy Sexy Diet, by Kris Carr. She also wrote Crazy Sexy Cancer. I am so sorry your son is going through this nightmare.

SuzannefromCA
                                                                                                                            Participant

Hi Pattie,

Pattie
                                                                                                                              Participant

Hello JIm,

We are doing another diet adjustment when my son comes home from college tomorrow. I appreciate all your tips on supplements and the books to go to. I have a 2 of the books you mentioned, but I will check out the other ones.

It is really encouraging to hear that you have been NED 4 years +.

Wishing you all the best,

Pattie

Pattie
                                                                                                                                Participant

Hello JIm,

We are doing another diet adjustment when my son comes home from college tomorrow. I appreciate all your tips on supplements and the books to go to. I have a 2 of the books you mentioned, but I will check out the other ones.

Pattie

Pattie
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Hello JIm,

Pattie

Jim M.
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Hi Pattie,

Two weeks after I was diagnosed in 10/07 I changed my diet to whole grains, legumes, etc. The supplements I take are Nordic Naturals Fish Oil (Omega 3), Quercetin (has similar properties to Curcumin), Garlinase garlic tablet, a green powdered drink called Green Vibrance and fresh ground flaxseed over cereal. I used to take AHCC until it interacted with the Hydrocortisone I need to take. Look up the benefits of these supplements.

Other books I'd recommend are, "Beating Cancer with Nutrition", "Challenge Cancer and Win", "Anticancer, a New Way of Life" and "Foods to Fight Cancer".

Jim M.

stage 3C

Jim M.
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Hi Pattie,

Jim M.

stage 3C

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics