The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Derms in LA/OC/SoCal?

Forums General Melanoma Community Derms in LA/OC/SoCal?

Participant

Hello:

I recently had a melanoma scare.  Everything is fine now.  I want to get continuous screening from a dermatologist that is a melanoma expert.  All dermatologists I found are mainly cosmetic.  Any recommendations of melanoma dermatologists in LA or the OC area?  Or Southern California?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        asdff12344
        Participant

I heard Dr. Binh Ngo is good?  This is OP.  I was wondering any other recommendations?

asdff12344
          Participant

I heard Dr. Binh Ngo is good?  This is OP.  I was wondering any other recommendations?

asdff12344
            Participant

Patina
              Participant
                I highly recommend finding someone affiliated with USC. They operate the USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center. – One of the top cancer centers in the US.

Dr. David Peng, has a few offices and I would highly recommend him. He has a great bedside manner, is super nice and very intelligent. His biography doesn’t mention melanoma, but its a specialty of his. He is also the Chair of the Department and my Mom’s dermatologist.

We have had not just great results but found the care st USC to be far superior than other cancer centers. – A few horror stories with misdiagnosed or undiagnosed brain tumors and cancer…

One of the things I love about USC is the fact that all the doctors are in the loop about your care. You get better results and feel a lot more confident that you’ve got a solid team.

Dr. Peng’s Biography:
                http://www.keckmedicine.org/doctor/david-peng/

asdff12344
                  Participant

OP here.  Thank you very very much.  I believe Dr. Binh Ngo is also from USC.  What do you mean misdiagnosis of brain cancer?  Did that happen at USC?  

Also, how will I get an appointment with Dr. Peng?

Seriously, thank you very much.

Patina
                    Participant

The misdiagnosis or undiagnosed cancer or brain mets did NOT happen at USC. Without the doctors at USC I doubt my Mom would have all of her faculties or that she would have done as well as she's done…

We had a number of issues, all at other facilities, that could have had devastating affects.

Just call the USC appointment desk @ 800-872-2273.

Patina
                      Participant

The misdiagnosis or undiagnosed cancer or brain mets did NOT happen at USC. Without the doctors at USC I doubt my Mom would have all of her faculties or that she would have done as well as she's done…

We had a number of issues, all at other facilities, that could have had devastating affects.

Patina
                        Participant

asdff12344
                          Participant

OP here.  Thank you very very much.  I believe Dr. Binh Ngo is also from USC.  What do you mean misdiagnosis of brain cancer?  Did that happen at USC?  

asdff12344
                            Participant

asdff12344
                              Participant

OP here.  I forgot to add one question.  Will he take pictures of moles and do a thorough full-body check.  The issues I had with my derms were that they barely looked at my entire body.  It might because my race makes me low-risk and I am young.

asdff12344
                                Participant

OP here.  I forgot to add one question.  Will he take pictures of moles and do a thorough full-body check.  The issues I had with my derms were that they barely looked at my entire body.  It might because my race makes me low-risk and I am young.

asdff12344
                                  Participant

Patina
                                    Participant

I don't know. He did a full exam of my Mom.  You can ask him. 

He has a Woods Lamp at Norris which might be helpful. You should ask abou that.

Patina
                                      Participant

Patina
                                        Participant

Patina
                                        Participant
                                          I highly recommend finding someone affiliated with USC. They operate the USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center. – One of the top cancer centers in the US.

Dr. David Peng, has a few offices and I would highly recommend him. He has a great bedside manner, is super nice and very intelligent. His biography doesn’t mention melanoma, but its a specialty of his. He is also the Chair of the Department and my Mom’s dermatologist.

We have had not just great results but found the care st USC to be far superior than other cancer centers. – A few horror stories with misdiagnosed or undiagnosed brain tumors and cancer…

One of the things I love about USC is the fact that all the doctors are in the loop about your care. You get better results and feel a lot more confident that you’ve got a solid team.

Dr. Peng’s Biography:

Patina
                                          Participant

Dr. Peng’s Biography:

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics