The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

dermal or vascular vaccine therapy for stage 3 B melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community dermal or vascular vaccine therapy for stage 3 B melanoma

Participant

recently i posted that i had refused interferon after being randomized to the interferon arm of the ipi clinical trials.  i feel i made the appropriate decision for myself at this stage of my life.   certainly i am not agaist clinical trials, just against interferon.   does anyone have any information regarding vaccine trials that are either dermal or intravascularly used as an adjuntive therapy for this stage of mel?  i have read about a couple at the university of va.   mayo clinic has a new one.   what has been your experience?  have these  vaccines been successful in any way.   i want to be pro active, and would like to have some therapy rather than watch and wait.     thanks for your knowledge and help.  lucy3

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        SABKLYN
        Participant

Here's a list of clinical trials within 200 miles of Baltimore.  National Cancer Institue has a good searchable database.

http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/search/results?protocolsearchid=12248599

Hope that helps and good luck.

SABKLYN
          Participant

Here's a list of clinical trials within 200 miles of Baltimore.  National Cancer Institue has a good searchable database.

SABKLYN
            Participant

SABKLYN
              Participant

This link will bring you to a trial I participated in last year.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01456104

SABKLYN
                Participant

SABKLYN
                  Participant

Linny
                    Participant

Have you checked Johns Hopkins? They have the following trial going on:

J1112: A FEASIBILITY AND TOXICITY STUDY OF A GM-CSF SECRETING ALLOGENEIC MELANOMA VACCINE (MELANOMA GVAX) ADMINISTERED ALONE OR IN COMBINATION WITH CYCLOPHOSPHAMIDE IN SUBJECTS WITH SURGICALLY RESECTED AT-RISK MELANOMA
                      This melanoma vaccine trial is a phase I study for patients with stage IIB, IIC, III or IV melanoma who have undergone complete surgical resection but who are at risk for developing recurrence of their disease.  Melanoma GVAX is an investigational vaccine designed to teach the immune system to recognize and eliminate melanoma tumors, which may persist at a microscopic level after surgery.  In this study, some patients will receive Melanoma GVAX alone (low dose or high dose), while others will receive Melanoma GVAX plus low-dose cyclophosphamide. Cyclophosphamide is a chemotherapy frequently used in cancer treatment.  In this study, it will be given at a low dose to try to augment the effects of the vaccine.  The purpose of this study is to find the optimal dose of Melanoma GVAX, with or without cyclophosphamide, that is safe and that produces an immune response.  The vaccine will be given in the skin monthly for four doses.  Eligible patients must be ≥18 years old with melanoma arising in the skin or mucous membranes (such as the nostrils, mouth, or rectum) that has been completely resected at least 2 weeks but no more than 6 months prior to receiving the first treatment on this trial.  Patients with melanomas arising in the eye (ocular) are not eligible.  Participants must not have hepatitis, HIV, or any history of an immune disorder.  Patients must not have received any type of cancer immunotherapy, such as interleukin-2, interferon alfa or other melanoma vaccines.  Patients will be evaluated on this trial for 6 months and then followed yearly for 5 years.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/kimmel_cancer_center/centers/melanoma/clinical_trials/

Linny
                      Participant

J1112: A FEASIBILITY AND TOXICITY STUDY OF A GM-CSF SECRETING ALLOGENEIC MELANOMA VACCINE (MELANOMA GVAX) ADMINISTERED ALONE OR IN COMBINATION WITH CYCLOPHOSPHAMIDE IN SUBJECTS WITH SURGICALLY RESECTED AT-RISK MELANOMA
                        This melanoma vaccine trial is a phase I study for patients with stage IIB, IIC, III or IV melanoma who have undergone complete surgical resection but who are at risk for developing recurrence of their disease.  Melanoma GVAX is an investigational vaccine designed to teach the immune system to recognize and eliminate melanoma tumors, which may persist at a microscopic level after surgery.  In this study, some patients will receive Melanoma GVAX alone (low dose or high dose), while others will receive Melanoma GVAX plus low-dose cyclophosphamide. Cyclophosphamide is a chemotherapy frequently used in cancer treatment.  In this study, it will be given at a low dose to try to augment the effects of the vaccine.  The purpose of this study is to find the optimal dose of Melanoma GVAX, with or without cyclophosphamide, that is safe and that produces an immune response.  The vaccine will be given in the skin monthly for four doses.  Eligible patients must be ≥18 years old with melanoma arising in the skin or mucous membranes (such as the nostrils, mouth, or rectum) that has been completely resected at least 2 weeks but no more than 6 months prior to receiving the first treatment on this trial.  Patients with melanomas arising in the eye (ocular) are not eligible.  Participants must not have hepatitis, HIV, or any history of an immune disorder.  Patients must not have received any type of cancer immunotherapy, such as interleukin-2, interferon alfa or other melanoma vaccines.  Patients will be evaluated on this trial for 6 months and then followed yearly for 5 years.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/kimmel_cancer_center/centers/melanoma/clinical_trials/

Linny
                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics