The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Depigmentation / vitiligo

Forums General Melanoma Community Depigmentation / vitiligo

Participant

Any recent stage 2 (or 3) patients with current experience regarding depigmentation / vitiligo around atypical nevus ?

Have had a 1/4" pink nodule / bump "puff up" in a depigmented area. Bump sloughed a layer and has started to recede. Similar pattern as a prior melanoma with ulceration / regression (came, went, came back). Biopsy scheduled for this coming week.

I've read some encouraging articles that depigmentation may be favorable from an immuno response perspective, but want to get on this in the event of regression and reduced ability to correctly gauge depth (2015 experience).

Thank you for any personal experiences regarding depigmentation prior (important) to beginning immunotherapy.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

Hi Jamie, this is the first time I have seen this question (very interesting), while I have never seen anything associated with Vitiligo other than in response to Immunotherapy treatment ( Ipi, or Pd-1 drugs). Dr. Weber talks about Vitiligo research in the following video at the 31:30 mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysbSCeqJpq0  Best Wishes!!!Ed

Jamie1960
            Participant

Thank you Ed !

Jamie1960
              Participant

Ed,

Biopsy off to the lab today; given the pattern of appearance and spontaneous regression in the same place, along with spreading margin of de-pigmented skin, my guess is basal cell, possibly morpheic.

My dermatologist, Bonnie Epstein (JHU), has a very good eye and did not think the lesion itself was particularly remarkable; she did agree that the surrounding area with a clear loss of pigment did indicate that the body was attempting to destroy something and the only "something" visible in the area was the small, regressing bump.

Will post an update once results are back – if only anecdotal, it will be interesting to see if T cell activity / pigmentation loss is a predictor of anything.

Jamie

Viewing 0 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics