The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Decision was made

Forums General Melanoma Community Decision was made

Participant

The watch and wait is over.  Neck tumor has grown from 2cm to 3 cm in seven week and a new one was found in the stomach.  After a long discussion the decision was left to us IL2 or IPI.  We made the decision to go with IL2 with the understanding if it did not work we would move to IPI.  Zelboraf was discussed but taken off the table.  Dr Gailani felt IL2 or IPI was best options.  We hope we made the right decision.  Any suggestion on how to deal with the side effects.  And finally we would like to thank everyone with their replies to our numerious que

The watch and wait is over.  Neck tumor has grown from 2cm to 3 cm in seven week and a new one was found in the stomach.  After a long discussion the decision was left to us IL2 or IPI.  We made the decision to go with IL2 with the understanding if it did not work we would move to IPI.  Zelboraf was discussed but taken off the table.  Dr Gailani felt IL2 or IPI was best options.  We hope we made the right decision.  Any suggestion on how to deal with the side effects.  And finally we would like to thank everyone with their replies to our numerious question.  

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tim–MRF

I am curious why Zelboraf was taken off the table.  I know that the decision about immunotherapy vs. targeted therapy is not resolved.  Some doctors prescribe one first, and some do the other.  Just wonder how that decision was reached for your situation.

I know two complete responders to IL2 and they both are big believers in the treatment.  One of them told me last week that the doctors he talks with report that when IL-2 is offered as a first line treatment they are getting good response rates. If you are interested in speaking with one of them let me know.

Tim–MRF

[email protected]

Tim–MRF

I am curious why Zelboraf was taken off the table.  I know that the decision about immunotherapy vs. targeted therapy is not resolved.  Some doctors prescribe one first, and some do the other.  Just wonder how that decision was reached for your situation.

I know two complete responders to IL2 and they both are big believers in the treatment.  One of them told me last week that the doctors he talks with report that when IL-2 is offered as a first line treatment they are getting good response rates. If you are interested in speaking with one of them let me know.

Tim–MRF

[email protected]

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

[email protected]

thrashter
              Participant

I just finished 3rd round of biochemo with il2 and we had great results. I am also under Gailanis' care. They do a great job of managining side effects during treatment. When home just keep hydrated as much as possible. 

thrashter
                Participant

I just finished 3rd round of biochemo with il2 and we had great results. I am also under Gailanis' care. They do a great job of managining side effects during treatment. When home just keep hydrated as much as possible. 

thrashter
                  Participant

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

I know several complete responders to IL-2.  Rick (from NC), who posted recently has been NED for over 20 years since having IL-2 as his only systemic treatment.  The two that get talked about the most now days is DebbieVa and Jane from Maine.  They are at the six year point since their IL-2 complete responses.  Some Oncologists consider one CURED if they go ten years NED after IL-2 treatment.  I have not heard of anyone that has had a re-occurance after reaching the 10 year point of complete response to IL-2.  IL-2 (5-6% complete long term response  and ~15% partial response)  has often been found to enhance other treatments.  IL-2 and Ipi have appeared to help each other when used sequently.  
                      One learns quickly if IL-2 is slowing things down or not.  IPI can take up to a year to tell if one is responding to it.  (Usually less than a year!)  If ones tumor load is not at a critcal point and needing immediate reduction, then IL-2 or Ipi stand a better chance of long term response than Zelboraf.

I was a partial responder to IL-2 for 20 months.  I wanted it early in the treatment process since it was supposed to be the toughest treatment to take with one of the shortest times to learn if it was being beneficial.  Jane gives much great help for people going into Il-2 treatments.  I listed Janes URL for heer great info site, but the new BB refused to allow my post giving that info.  I will try to just list what comes after the : //

melanomaresources.info/jane.html#homenotes

If you read my profile, I tried to show what I was going thru as I did the treatments.  They are doable and I would be willing to do it again if needed. 

You can also do a search in our archives and the new BB and get others advise/experiences.  You do want to have a very experienced IL-2 Oncologist and staff that will provide immediate response when you contact them about side-effects.

Do not delay telling the nurses about the beginning of the Rigor (chills) or nausea.  Delay in getting the side effects counteracted makes the treatment harder to take and reduces the number of bags one can tolerate. One needs to drink regularly to keep up the urine flow since the two main reasons for skipping bags are low kidney function and low Blood Pressure. They skip bags when your blood pressure (systolic) drops below 90.  Very few people actually get the full 14 bags in the 5 days of hospitalization.

I will be glad to talk with you either via e-mail, or phone if you like.

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

I know several complete responders to IL-2.  Rick (from NC), who posted recently has been NED for over 20 years since having IL-2 as his only systemic treatment.  The two that get talked about the most now days is DebbieVa and Jane from Maine.  They are at the six year point since their IL-2 complete responses.  Some Oncologists consider one CURED if they go ten years NED after IL-2 treatment.  I have not heard of anyone that has had a re-occurance after reaching the 10 year point of complete response to IL-2.  IL-2 (5-6% complete long term response  and ~15% partial response)  has often been found to enhance other treatments.  IL-2 and Ipi have appeared to help each other when used sequently.  
                        One learns quickly if IL-2 is slowing things down or not.  IPI can take up to a year to tell if one is responding to it.  (Usually less than a year!)  If ones tumor load is not at a critcal point and needing immediate reduction, then IL-2 or Ipi stand a better chance of long term response than Zelboraf.

I was a partial responder to IL-2 for 20 months.  I wanted it early in the treatment process since it was supposed to be the toughest treatment to take with one of the shortest times to learn if it was being beneficial.  Jane gives much great help for people going into Il-2 treatments.  I listed Janes URL for heer great info site, but the new BB refused to allow my post giving that info.  I will try to just list what comes after the : //

If you read my profile, I tried to show what I was going thru as I did the treatments.  They are doable and I would be willing to do it again if needed. 

You can also do a search in our archives and the new BB and get others advise/experiences.  You do want to have a very experienced IL-2 Oncologist and staff that will provide immediate response when you contact them about side-effects.

Do not delay telling the nurses about the beginning of the Rigor (chills) or nausea.  Delay in getting the side effects counteracted makes the treatment harder to take and reduces the number of bags one can tolerate. One needs to drink regularly to keep up the urine flow since the two main reasons for skipping bags are low kidney function and low Blood Pressure. They skip bags when your blood pressure (systolic) drops below 90.  Very few people actually get the full 14 bags in the 5 days of hospitalization.

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

Janet Lee
                          Participant

So what exactlyl is IL-2?

My husband was recently disgnosed with Stage IV, multiple lesions including one in the brain. He tested positive for BFRAF and they want to start Zelboraf next week. (Insurance company has denied coverage based upon a slight deviation in his BRAF test, but I hope that will be appealed successfully). Anyway, it seems Zelboraf is the first choice in his case, and moving on to Yervoy/IPI when the Zelboraf stops being effective.

But what else should we know about? What is the IL-2? What other treatments should I be asking the oncologist about?

You guys on this site give me hope. For that I thank you so much!

Janet

Janet Lee
                            Participant

My husband was recently disgnosed with Stage IV, multiple lesions including one in the brain. He tested positive for BFRAF and they want to start Zelboraf next week. (Insurance company has denied coverage based upon a slight deviation in his BRAF test, but I hope that will be appealed successfully). Anyway, it seems Zelboraf is the first choice in his case, and moving on to Yervoy/IPI when the Zelboraf stops being effective.

But what else should we know about? What is the IL-2? What other treatments should I be asking the oncologist about?

Janet

Janet Lee
                              Participant

Janet

kylez
                                  Participant

Janet, the Aim at Melanoma site has overviews of all the FDA approved treatments for melanoma, http://www.aimatmelanoma.org/en/aim-for-answers/treatment-of-melanoma/fda-approved-drugs-for-melanoma.html  Their description of IL-2 seems pretty right on, here

The FDA-approved treatments for stage IV melanoma are Zelboraf, Yervoy/IPI, Dacarbazine/DTIC, and IL-2. The other 2 listed on that page (Intr1on-A and Sylatron) are for stage III and some stage II patients.

kylez
                                    Participant

Janet, the Aim at Melanoma site has overviews of all the FDA approved treatments for melanoma, http://www.aimatmelanoma.org/en/aim-for-answers/treatment-of-melanoma/fda-approved-drugs-for-melanoma.html  Their description of IL-2 seems pretty right on, here

The FDA-approved treatments for stage IV melanoma are Zelboraf, Yervoy/IPI, Dacarbazine/DTIC, and IL-2. The other 2 listed on that page (Intr1on-A and Sylatron) are for stage III and some stage II patients.

kylez
                                      Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                        Participant

Janet, IL-2 (Interluken -2) is immumotherapy which attempts to boast ones immune system to produce T-cells to recognize and attack Tumor cells.

JerryfromFauq
                                          Participant

Janet, IL-2 (Interluken -2) is immumotherapy which attempts to boast ones immune system to produce T-cells to recognize and attack Tumor cells.

JerryfromFauq
                                            Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics