The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Decision Time

Forums General Melanoma Community Decision Time

Participant

I am confirmed Stage 3a and I am currently NED. A possible trial offers HDI/IPI or Pembro. My oncologist hold me because I won't take HDI I disqualify myself. However the oncologist administering trial is not saying the same thing. 

I am taking this weekend to decide next steps. Ethically I struggle with possibly proceeding when there is a drug that should I be selected would refuse. 

I am interested in others thoughts

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

It is totally your right to give the trial a try and if you get the arm you don't want, you can quit. Don't blame you for not wanting interferon. At 3a, observation is also a really good choice. Many 3a patients have done no treatment and have not had the melanoma come back. Other option is to do Ipi alone, since it is approved and would not be a trial.

Jamie1960
            Participant

I think the question is not only one of ethics on your end (for which you should be applauded), but also basic science on the part of the trial's sponsors; if you are NED, what would they hope to gain from your participation ?

Spl25
              Participant

the entire trial is designed for people who are NED — hope is to see if it leads to durable remissions and better overall survival

MichelleRHG
              Participant
                If this is trial S1404, I was 2enrolled in it but got thrown out the day of the 1st infusion bc more melanoma was found. Went through the entire enrollment process so can tell you that if its the same trial, the choice between ipi and interferon is just that . A choice made between you and the doctor running the trial. No doctor is going to choose interferon for you, though. So you will get ipi or keytruda and its just a randomized thing. Good luck.
                BetsyG
                Participant

My son is also trying to decide whether to do the CLND and this trial.  We were told that the ipi vs interferon is patient choice and then there is the 50% chance of getting Keytruda.  He told the doctor straight out that if he's randomized to ipi (interferron was always off the table), he'll quit the study.  The doctor said he didn't blame him and still acted like he could still decide to enroll.  For now, he's waiting for another scan to make sure some small nodules in the lungs don't grow.

It is no problem to have a smaller group on one research arm.  Do what is best for you.

Viewing 2 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics