The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Decision factors on randomized trial

Forums General Melanoma Community Decision factors on randomized trial

Participant

My husband is stage three, currently recovering from surgery to remove a melanoma on his foot and eight lymph glands. Six of the glands had been completely taken over by cancerous tissue. We are told chance of recurrence is 50%. Iam thinking this may be low, given the level of involvement.

We are waiting to learn if he has BRAF gene and could be eligible for that trial.

otherwise, our doctor has told us we are eligible for a randomized interferon/ipi trial. We have read that interferon is not effective, and has many side effects, some know my husband is considering watch and wait, vs a randomized trial.

it is a difficult time,mdifficult decision. I am interested I hearing decision factors and experiences of others.

i also see there are other trials, something called IL2? I will ask our doctor about these.

thank you for thoughts and sharing!

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        noisy77
        Participant

Hello!

My mom was stage 3 and choose to skip the ipi/ interferon trial due to the fact that she didn't want the chance of getting interferon which appears not to be effective  and the side effects are horrible.  She had melanoma in her foot and 5 nodes positive.   She is now on the pd1/ ipi trial since she did become stage 4.  Every situation is different but make sure to get second opinions by top melanoma drs.

noisy77
          Participant

Hello!

My mom was stage 3 and choose to skip the ipi/ interferon trial due to the fact that she didn't want the chance of getting interferon which appears not to be effective  and the side effects are horrible.  She had melanoma in her foot and 5 nodes positive.   She is now on the pd1/ ipi trial since she did become stage 4.  Every situation is different but make sure to get second opinions by top melanoma drs.

Michelem
              Participant

Thank you! Good to know how others manage this choice. Such a difficult decision.  I do think more trials are open tomStage IV – though we hope not to go there.

SABKLYN
                Participant

Hi Michele,

i was diagnosed with stage III a disease.  After having the lymph does removed as a follow up, I too passed on interferon.  I did get on a clinical trial (10-229 Dendritic/Langerhans cell vaccine).  I found the NIH site very easy to use and look up clinical trials appropriate for your husband's stage/type, etc.  I am being treated at Sloan Kettering in NY and you wil find some of the larger cancer hospitals will be test sites for some of these new trials.  Hope that helps and good luck!

Michelem
                  Participant

Thank you, we're still figuring out how to find out about trials and which ones we might be eligible for. I think the information and opportunities change all the time.

Michelem
                    Participant

Thank you, we're still figuring out how to find out about trials and which ones we might be eligible for. I think the information and opportunities change all the time.

Michelem
                      Participant

SABKLYN
                        Participant

Hi Michele,

i was diagnosed with stage III a disease.  After having the lymph does removed as a follow up, I too passed on interferon.  I did get on a clinical trial (10-229 Dendritic/Langerhans cell vaccine).  I found the NIH site very easy to use and look up clinical trials appropriate for your husband's stage/type, etc.  I am being treated at Sloan Kettering in NY and you wil find some of the larger cancer hospitals will be test sites for some of these new trials.  Hope that helps and good luck!

SABKLYN
                          Participant

Hi Michele,

Michelem
                            Participant

Thank you! Good to know how others manage this choice. Such a difficult decision.  I do think more trials are open tomStage IV – though we hope not to go there.

Michelem
                              Participant

noisy77
                              Participant

Hello!

kathycmc
                                Participant

Can't he go into the trial and then drop out if he is chosen for interpheron.  Or is that considered bad form.

Michelem
                                    Participant

I'm not sure – that's one of the questions on my list for the doc.

Michelem
                                      Participant

Michelem
                                        Participant

Janner
                                          Participant

Yes and yes.  But even if you withdraw, it's unlikely to have consequences unless your oncologist has problems with you doing this.  It does cost a lot of money to run trials and they really do want people who plan to participate with the study and how it is designed.  If your onc is the study doc, he may have problems if you plan this going in. 

Janner
                                            Participant

Yes and yes.  But even if you withdraw, it's unlikely to have consequences unless your oncologist has problems with you doing this.  It does cost a lot of money to run trials and they really do want people who plan to participate with the study and how it is designed.  If your onc is the study doc, he may have problems if you plan this going in. 

Janner
                                              Participant

kathycmc
                                              Participant

Can't he go into the trial and then drop out if he is chosen for interpheron.  Or is that considered bad form.

kathycmc
                                                Participant

kpcollins31
                                                  Participant

I was in a similar situation when I progressed to stage 3C a year and a half ago. I chose watch and wait over the interferon vs ipi trial. My thought process was similar to yours – I was not willing to take the risk of being randomized into the interferon arm. I am comfortable with my decision. Good luck with yours.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                                    Participant

I was in a similar situation when I progressed to stage 3C a year and a half ago. I chose watch and wait over the interferon vs ipi trial. My thought process was similar to yours – I was not willing to take the risk of being randomized into the interferon arm. I am comfortable with my decision. Good luck with yours.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                                      Participant

Kevin

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics