The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

decarbazine (chemo) before ipi (yervoy) ??

Forums General Melanoma Community decarbazine (chemo) before ipi (yervoy) ??

Participant

My husband was tested for BRAF and is negative.  Currently his brain mets are stable (after radiation and surgery) and his lung mets are not there anymore (after surgery).  He does have a few small spots that we know about but nothing in his vital organs. Watching and waiting is an option our doctor has given him or chemo (decarbazine), if chemo fails then he can get ipi. I am wondering how many rounds of chemo must be tried in order to be eligible for ipi (yervoy).  I am fearful they may pull the ipi study soon.

My husband was tested for BRAF and is negative.  Currently his brain mets are stable (after radiation and surgery) and his lung mets are not there anymore (after surgery).  He does have a few small spots that we know about but nothing in his vital organs. Watching and waiting is an option our doctor has given him or chemo (decarbazine), if chemo fails then he can get ipi. I am wondering how many rounds of chemo must be tried in order to be eligible for ipi (yervoy).  I am fearful they may pull the ipi study soon.  Any insight would be helpful at this point, 

Loving wife,

lyndaloo

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Teodora

Hi Lynda,

Funny enoufh today is the second time I am about to mention Lisa from Toronto-she is identical case and I hope she sees  your posting and replies straight away.

She just completed Decarbazine with no results and had started Ipi/lung nodules/.You can look her up "Lisa13" in the "Search"field.

Good luck to your husband.

lyndaloo
            Participant

Thank you, I have contacted Lisa, waiting to hear back. 

Lyndaloo

Lisa13
              Participant

I'm popular today!  Thanks Teodora 🙂

I did 2 rounds of dacarbazine and it didn't work for my lung mets.  Yesterday I started ipi which was 29 days after my last dose of DTIC.  In Canada, you have to attempt 2 rounds before going onto another treatment. Some people have responsed to DTIC (dacarbazine) and if so, they would continue on with the chemo.

I had a choice between doing dacarbazine or a clinical trial for IL-21. I chose the dacarbazine as I didn't want to wait for a bed to become available – I wanted to start treatment ASAP. After 2 rounds of chemo, I only had limited growth in almost all the nodules in my lungs, so they were still very small and ready for ipi.   Since ipi needs time to work, it's best to do it when you have the time and arn't progressing rapidly.

P.S.  Dacarbazine was a breeze for me. Except for 2-3 days of feeling like I had the flu, the rest was a walk in the park.

If you have any other questions, I'm here!

Best of luck,

Lisa

lyndaloo
                Participant

Thank you for your quick response Lisa, I will pass the information on to my husband.  Its good to know the chemo can be done without making a person sick to the point of having no quality of life.  I hope and pray the ipi drug will get to work on your mets, it sounds very promising. My husband willl probably start chemo in September, trying to keep life positive as my husband was really disappointed with the BRAF news this week.

lyndaloo

Lisa13
                  Participant

Hi Lyndaloo,

Everyone responds differently to chemo, so maybe I was lucky. I know if I had continued on it, the fatigue probably would have set in.   Other than that, I continued on as if I wasn't on chemo.

I'm not BRAF positive either so I know your disappointment. There are other treatments available and promising clinical trials, so something is bound to come out with as much promise as these BRAF inhibitors. My oncologist said researchers are now working for something for BRAF negative people. 

Lisa

Lisa13
                    Participant

Hi Lyndaloo,

Everyone responds differently to chemo, so maybe I was lucky. I know if I had continued on it, the fatigue probably would have set in.   Other than that, I continued on as if I wasn't on chemo.

I'm not BRAF positive either so I know your disappointment. There are other treatments available and promising clinical trials, so something is bound to come out with as much promise as these BRAF inhibitors. My oncologist said researchers are now working for something for BRAF negative people. 

Lisa

lyndaloo
                      Participant

Thank you for your quick response Lisa, I will pass the information on to my husband.  Its good to know the chemo can be done without making a person sick to the point of having no quality of life.  I hope and pray the ipi drug will get to work on your mets, it sounds very promising. My husband willl probably start chemo in September, trying to keep life positive as my husband was really disappointed with the BRAF news this week.

lyndaloo

Lisa13
                        Participant

I'm popular today!  Thanks Teodora 🙂

I did 2 rounds of dacarbazine and it didn't work for my lung mets.  Yesterday I started ipi which was 29 days after my last dose of DTIC.  In Canada, you have to attempt 2 rounds before going onto another treatment. Some people have responsed to DTIC (dacarbazine) and if so, they would continue on with the chemo.

I had a choice between doing dacarbazine or a clinical trial for IL-21. I chose the dacarbazine as I didn't want to wait for a bed to become available – I wanted to start treatment ASAP. After 2 rounds of chemo, I only had limited growth in almost all the nodules in my lungs, so they were still very small and ready for ipi.   Since ipi needs time to work, it's best to do it when you have the time and arn't progressing rapidly.

P.S.  Dacarbazine was a breeze for me. Except for 2-3 days of feeling like I had the flu, the rest was a walk in the park.

If you have any other questions, I'm here!

Best of luck,

Lisa

lyndaloo
                          Participant

Thank you, I have contacted Lisa, waiting to hear back. 

Lyndaloo

Teodora

Hi Lynda,

Funny enoufh today is the second time I am about to mention Lisa from Toronto-she is identical case and I hope she sees  your posting and replies straight away.

She just completed Decarbazine with no results and had started Ipi/lung nodules/.You can look her up "Lisa13" in the "Search"field.

Good luck to your husband.

liseabraham
                            Participant

Hi Lynda, my husband also tested BRAF negative. He was recently diagnosed with malignant melanoma to the brain and lung and chest area. He just had his first Yervoy (ipi) treatment. As Yervoy is now passed by the FDA he had no problem being covered for it's use but he has medicare so I don't know about your situation. You should check with your oncologist and ask if your husband can be put on Yervoy without first having done chemo.

Good luck

Lise

lyndaloo
                                Participant

Thank you for the info Lise, it sounds like you have been through the same turmoil tnat I have been through as a loving caregiver to a husband.  How old is your husband, mine is 48 years. Is your husband having a positive response to ipi as of yet?

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

Matter of curiuosity , which BRAF test was your husband negative on, the Roche or the GSK?  One might be negative on the Roche and still be positive  on the GSK.

JerryfromFauq
                                    Participant

Matter of curiuosity , which BRAF test was your husband negative on, the Roche or the GSK?  One might be negative on the Roche and still be positive  on the GSK.

lyndaloo
                                      Participant

Thank you for the info Lise, it sounds like you have been through the same turmoil tnat I have been through as a loving caregiver to a husband.  How old is your husband, mine is 48 years. Is your husband having a positive response to ipi as of yet?

liseabraham
                                      Participant

Hi Lynda, my husband also tested BRAF negative. He was recently diagnosed with malignant melanoma to the brain and lung and chest area. He just had his first Yervoy (ipi) treatment. As Yervoy is now passed by the FDA he had no problem being covered for it's use but he has medicare so I don't know about your situation. You should check with your oncologist and ask if your husband can be put on Yervoy without first having done chemo.

Good luck

Lise

Viewing 3 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics