The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dear 16 year old Me

Forums General Melanoma Community Dear 16 year old Me

• Replies
      MichaelFL
      Participant

This is good! Never saw it before. Added 5/5/2011 and 451,000 + views? But how did you find it? It does not have melanoma in the title, and I also did a search and it did not come up either.

Michael

Joan C
          Participant

I found it because a friend posted it on her Facebook page.  I need to try to find out more and how it can get more press!

Joan C
            Participant

I found it because a friend posted it on her Facebook page.  I need to try to find out more and how it can get more press!

Joan C
              Participant

Joan C
                Participant

Joan C
                  Participant

Here is more about the video.  It was made by the David Cornfield Melanoma Foundation:

http://dcmf.ca/category/from-the-film

Joan C
                    Participant

Here is more about the video.  It was made by the David Cornfield Melanoma Foundation:

http://dcmf.ca/category/from-the-film

MichaelFL
                    Participant

This is good! Never saw it before. Added 5/5/2011 and 451,000 + views? But how did you find it? It does not have melanoma in the title, and I also did a search and it did not come up either.

Michael

Carol Taylor
                      Participant

It has been making the Fb rounds for a few weeks or so now. The good thing about this video, and the only reason I jump in here, is it's also available with Spanish subtitles:

One of the things I found interesting and helpful when circulating this is adding your own note about what you would tell 16 year old you. Makes a person think.

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
                        Participant

It has been making the Fb rounds for a few weeks or so now. The good thing about this video, and the only reason I jump in here, is it's also available with Spanish subtitles:

One of the things I found interesting and helpful when circulating this is adding your own note about what you would tell 16 year old you. Makes a person think.

Grace and peace,

Carol

BethA in VA
                          Participant

This was sent to me on FB, so I reposted it with a message about May being MM Awareness month.  I have not ever seen my FB Friends so quiet.  They had NO response.  So, just mention MM to shut up everyone.  I was actually irritated, but then realized maybe they are just scared. 

This is why I come here.  Here, everyone understands.    Beth 3/B

Wilfred
                              Participant

No response from my facebook friends was about the same reaction I got when I posted it two weeks ago. Less than a month ago, I had about 60% of my ear removed; I thought the reaction of facebook was because my friends did not know what to say to me. Your comment makes me think people just don't know how to react, not that they don't care.

Carol Taylor
                                Participant

I've gotten to where I post right much about melanoma on my personal page ("right much" for me). And lots on my friends are heavily into reposting stuff…much of it totally inane. I'm talking aout friends that are people I know face-to-face, not those I've met through places like MPIP.

So, a few weeks ago, I posted something about melanoma I thought was particularly good and had life-saving potential. I specifically ended that post with the invitation to repost because they might save a life. Only me daughter reposted it. out of close to 300 people.

Not long afterwards, I ran into one of my FB friends/real friend and he mentions to me that he's noticed I've started posting a lot about melanoma and asks "How's your health?" I tell him I'm fine, mel's under control. Well, he thought I must be sick again because of all my posts…and he's noticed posts from Melanoma Prayer Center and he just knew something was wrong.

As I explain to him I've reached a point where I realize I need to become more of an advocate and give back to the melanoma community…I swear I could see this rash pop up on his face and the bumps spell "uncomfortable."

A lot of people who really like us, don't know what to do with us and the message we bring. And yet, we're the ones who motivate them to at least get to a derm and get that mole checked. I've learned some are listening, and they may or may not let us know, but they're applying our stories to themselves. We're being used.  And there are others we make uncomfortable for whatever reason. But we are who we are. Don't let them stop you from being the advocate you need to be in whatever means you choose to advocate.

Grace and peace,

Carol…sorry this ended up longer than I intended…I guess this is what happens when you mix a Mom, a Southerner, and a preacher!

Joan C
                                  Participant

I am so sorry to hear people have had bad reactions to mentioning melanoma.  I had many friends repost this message, and I got lots of "Thank you"s for posting it,

I usually post status updates in May, reminding people to wear sunscreen, but I don't get negative feedback, I usually get "likes" on my comment.

I have started to talk more to my daughter's friends about it, and I think that will become awkward as they get old enough to want to use tanning beds, but I don't care.  I always offer to show them my 5" scar, much to my daughter's embarrassment!

Joan C
                                    Participant

I am so sorry to hear people have had bad reactions to mentioning melanoma.  I had many friends repost this message, and I got lots of "Thank you"s for posting it,

I usually post status updates in May, reminding people to wear sunscreen, but I don't get negative feedback, I usually get "likes" on my comment.

I have started to talk more to my daughter's friends about it, and I think that will become awkward as they get old enough to want to use tanning beds, but I don't care.  I always offer to show them my 5" scar, much to my daughter's embarrassment!

Carol Taylor
                                      Participant

Had to laugh Joan! By then, you're going to totally embarrass her no matter what you do, so go for it! Shoot, I started embarrassing my daughter when she was 9! How old is yours? If you play your cards rigtht, you'll embarrass her by existing! A lovely perk of mother-hood to be sure!

Enjoy!

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
                                        Participant

Had to laugh Joan! By then, you're going to totally embarrass her no matter what you do, so go for it! Shoot, I started embarrassing my daughter when she was 9! How old is yours? If you play your cards rigtht, you'll embarrass her by existing! A lovely perk of mother-hood to be sure!

Enjoy!

Grace and peace,

Carol

Joan C
                                          Participant

Well, believe me, I DO embarrass mydaughter now!  She is 13, but the sun safety preaching is still not embarrassing to her, I think because she has heard it her whole life.  Kind of like the anti-smoking messages – her friends all talk about how dumb it would be to smoke, etc. and I think she thinks tanning is like this.  It hasn't occurred to her that her friends (some) will want to try to tan, so I think she is in for a rude shock when someone mentions a tanning salon before a dance or something.

For the moment, I guess I'll have to stick with singing to the radio in the car as the highest form of teen humiliation.

Joan C
                                            Participant

Well, believe me, I DO embarrass mydaughter now!  She is 13, but the sun safety preaching is still not embarrassing to her, I think because she has heard it her whole life.  Kind of like the anti-smoking messages – her friends all talk about how dumb it would be to smoke, etc. and I think she thinks tanning is like this.  It hasn't occurred to her that her friends (some) will want to try to tan, so I think she is in for a rude shock when someone mentions a tanning salon before a dance or something.

For the moment, I guess I'll have to stick with singing to the radio in the car as the highest form of teen humiliation.

Carol Taylor
                                              Participant

I've gotten to where I post right much about melanoma on my personal page ("right much" for me). And lots on my friends are heavily into reposting stuff…much of it totally inane. I'm talking aout friends that are people I know face-to-face, not those I've met through places like MPIP.

So, a few weeks ago, I posted something about melanoma I thought was particularly good and had life-saving potential. I specifically ended that post with the invitation to repost because they might save a life. Only me daughter reposted it. out of close to 300 people.

Not long afterwards, I ran into one of my FB friends/real friend and he mentions to me that he's noticed I've started posting a lot about melanoma and asks "How's your health?" I tell him I'm fine, mel's under control. Well, he thought I must be sick again because of all my posts…and he's noticed posts from Melanoma Prayer Center and he just knew something was wrong.

As I explain to him I've reached a point where I realize I need to become more of an advocate and give back to the melanoma community…I swear I could see this rash pop up on his face and the bumps spell "uncomfortable."

A lot of people who really like us, don't know what to do with us and the message we bring. And yet, we're the ones who motivate them to at least get to a derm and get that mole checked. I've learned some are listening, and they may or may not let us know, but they're applying our stories to themselves. We're being used.  And there are others we make uncomfortable for whatever reason. But we are who we are. Don't let them stop you from being the advocate you need to be in whatever means you choose to advocate.

Grace and peace,

Carol…sorry this ended up longer than I intended…I guess this is what happens when you mix a Mom, a Southerner, and a preacher!

Wilfred
                                                Participant

No response from my facebook friends was about the same reaction I got when I posted it two weeks ago. Less than a month ago, I had about 60% of my ear removed; I thought the reaction of facebook was because my friends did not know what to say to me. Your comment makes me think people just don't know how to react, not that they don't care.

EmilyandMike
                                                  Participant

Same thing here with my Facebook friends that don't have cancer in their lives – complete silence when I post things like the Dear 16 year old me video.  I dont blame them really.  I was the same way before melanoma came into our lives.  Perhaps they will understand someday.  It is so nice to know you are there in the mean time..people who understand.

We were actually contacted about being in that video last year.  But it turns out Mike was too old at diagnosis at 41 (they wanted people who were diagnosed younger).  When it was completed, the producers sent us a copy of the video – but I had already seen it and was so impressed.  It went viral very quickly.   

Emily

EmilyandMike
                                                    Participant

Same thing here with my Facebook friends that don't have cancer in their lives – complete silence when I post things like the Dear 16 year old me video.  I dont blame them really.  I was the same way before melanoma came into our lives.  Perhaps they will understand someday.  It is so nice to know you are there in the mean time..people who understand.

We were actually contacted about being in that video last year.  But it turns out Mike was too old at diagnosis at 41 (they wanted people who were diagnosed younger).  When it was completed, the producers sent us a copy of the video – but I had already seen it and was so impressed.  It went viral very quickly.   

Emily

BethA in VA
                                                    Participant

This was sent to me on FB, so I reposted it with a message about May being MM Awareness month.  I have not ever seen my FB Friends so quiet.  They had NO response.  So, just mention MM to shut up everyone.  I was actually irritated, but then realized maybe they are just scared. 

This is why I come here.  Here, everyone understands.    Beth 3/B

Cooper
                                                      Participant

this video is totally inaccurate about mucosal and acral melanoma.  They should check their validity before releasing a video like this.

Joan C
                                                          Participant

I am not sure what you are referring to.  It did mention one person who had melanoma of the eye, but there was no stats, etc on other types of melanoma.  What was inaccurate?

Joan C
                                                            Participant

I am not sure what you are referring to.  It did mention one person who had melanoma of the eye, but there was no stats, etc on other types of melanoma.  What was inaccurate?

Cooper
                                                              Participant

They talk about it appearing on the soles of your feet, inside your mouth, in your eye, etc.  very different rare melanomas not caused by sun/tanning salon exposure, that is an issue. They shouldn't have brought up these types without explaining them.  They also talk about "chemo" as a treatment.  There is no chemo for melanoma. 

Joan C
                                                                Participant

I did think the use of the word chemo was odd.  I can only guess that non-mel patients will identify with that word better than the drugs they use for mel.

I don't necessarily agree with you regarding the other types of melanoma.  I didn't think this video was strictly an anti-tanning video, it also had the message of getting yourself checked, regardless.

Joan C
                                                                  Participant

I did think the use of the word chemo was odd.  I can only guess that non-mel patients will identify with that word better than the drugs they use for mel.

I don't necessarily agree with you regarding the other types of melanoma.  I didn't think this video was strictly an anti-tanning video, it also had the message of getting yourself checked, regardless.

bcl
                                                                    Participant

While you make a valid point, we need to remember people frequently tan naked in tanning beds, just as many folks wear sandals all summer long -yet the tanning industry scoffs at mel on feet as if it could have nothing to do with UV exposure.  ( I've heard this laughter first hand, and believe me, it ain't pretty.)

As far as I'm concerned, anything that prompts people to monitor their skin for visible signs of cancer is worthwhile.

bcl
                                                                      Participant

While you make a valid point, we need to remember people frequently tan naked in tanning beds, just as many folks wear sandals all summer long -yet the tanning industry scoffs at mel on feet as if it could have nothing to do with UV exposure.  ( I've heard this laughter first hand, and believe me, it ain't pretty.)

As far as I'm concerned, anything that prompts people to monitor their skin for visible signs of cancer is worthwhile.

Cooper
                                                                        Participant

They talk about it appearing on the soles of your feet, inside your mouth, in your eye, etc.  very different rare melanomas not caused by sun/tanning salon exposure, that is an issue. They shouldn't have brought up these types without explaining them.  They also talk about "chemo" as a treatment.  There is no chemo for melanoma. 

Cooper
                                                                        Participant

this video is totally inaccurate about mucosal and acral melanoma.  They should check their validity before releasing a video like this.

JuleFL
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            I saw this video a while ago, either posted on this board or another. The thing that struck me the most was young people talking about the dangers and about awareness of melanoma. I found it to be very a very powerful message for some people who might not realize the potential danger of tanning. It was very well done (although I was unaware of any inaccuracies).
                                                                            JuleFL
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              I saw this video a while ago, either posted on this board or another. The thing that struck me the most was young people talking about the dangers and about awareness of melanoma. I found it to be very a very powerful message for some people who might not realize the potential danger of tanning. It was very well done (although I was unaware of any inaccuracies).
                                                                          Viewing 9 reply threads
                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics