The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

DavidfromSingapore…

Forums General Melanoma Community DavidfromSingapore…

Participant
      Hello fellow travelers,

I apologize that people have been asking about my friend David and that I haven’t been earlier to share the news..even now it’s news I don’t want to write. David died on March 29th….leaving his wife Leah and their three young children. We all teach in the same school here in Singapore and it hit the community very hard (particularly since it’s been a brutal year for our “family” here, with another colleague diagnosed that week with a stage IV brain tumour and a colleague diagnosed with stage III carcinoma only 3 weeks ago, on the day she gave birth to her second daughter). There was an amazing memorial in the school auditorium with over 700 people, including Dave’s students, and out-takes from some of his films….he was a film teacher and in fact this time last year was preparing to shoot his first full length film, called “The Durian King” which you will find online if you google. Students and family have been raising money to finish the film’s editing since he died because it was a life-long dream of his.

Dave didn’t get to use temodar. His Mel just grew SO fast at the end. He was fine and in remission til October when he had his first 3 brain mets (resected and SRSd), then all was well until March, when there were 3 more…but pretty much right after they started WBR in the 2nd week of March, he was less responsive and in hospital. A scan 10 days later showed more than 20 tumours and he died a few days after that. He was BRAF positive – which we thought might mean he’d caught a break- but zelboraf didn’t offer him what we had hoped.

I don’t think I’ve ever known what to say when telling people, but telling this community seems particularly hard because I know how much I – and many people – use this forum to keep themselves buoyant …or at least coping. That’s been a disservice to Dave though because I should have posted earlier to let you know of his death since he had friends and a cheer squad here.

I hope it will be the last death for a long long while among the MPIP community…..

AlisonC
      Stage IIIB
      NED since 2001

Viewing 26 reply threads
    • Replies
        deardad
        Participant

Dear Alison,

Im so very sad to hear of David's passing and I'm sorry that you have been through so much too.

Sounds like things went down hill very quickly and I'm only glad he passed quickly. My dad is battling brain mets at the moment..it's devastating.

We have lost so many lately…..

My heart goes out to you and his family.

Nahmi 

deardad
          Participant

Dear Alison,

Im so very sad to hear of David's passing and I'm sorry that you have been through so much too.

Sounds like things went down hill very quickly and I'm only glad he passed quickly. My dad is battling brain mets at the moment..it's devastating.

Nahmi 

deardad
            Participant

Dear Alison,

Nahmi 

aldakota22
              Participant

Very sad update by you.So sorry of David`s  passing.At least he is no longer suffering.Both of you will be in my prayers .  Al

aldakota22
                Participant

Very sad update by you.So sorry of David`s  passing.At least he is no longer suffering.Both of you will be in my prayers .  Al

aldakota22
                  Participant

lhaley
                    Participant

I am so sorry to hear that Dave has passed.  He had such a difficult time with the severe headaches with the first brain tumors and he had such big plans.  I do hope that he did get to go back to work during that time.

Thank you for letting us know. Please pass my sympathies on to his family. 

It also sounds like you small community has to many shares of health issues.

Linda

lhaley
                      Participant

I am so sorry to hear that Dave has passed.  He had such a difficult time with the severe headaches with the first brain tumors and he had such big plans.  I do hope that he did get to go back to work during that time.

Linda

lhaley
                        Participant

Linda

Phil S
                          Participant
                            Alison, Thanks for letting us know about David, I know it must be hard for you. I was wondering how he was doing, since I knew he was having WBR. I feel like so many people are passing away from melanoma, it makes me angry and sad that another young father has left his family. I hope his wife and children are doing okay and have many good memories to sustain them. Hope David’s movie gets finished, what a tribute and accomplishment for him. Rest in peace, David. Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                            Phil S
                            Participant
                              Alison, Thanks for letting us know about David, I know it must be hard for you. I was wondering how he was doing, since I knew he was having WBR. I feel like so many people are passing away from melanoma, it makes me angry and sad that another young father has left his family. I hope his wife and children are doing okay and have many good memories to sustain them. Hope David’s movie gets finished, what a tribute and accomplishment for him. Rest in peace, David. Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                              Phil S
                              Participant
                                s Mom
                                Participant

I am so sad to hear of this – David was so young and had such a beautiful family.  He and my son shared the same surgeon – Dr. Moore at Mayo.  His family is in my thoughts and prayers.   I loved his quote – so beautiful and filled with such truth.

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                                  Participant

I am so sad to hear of this – David was so young and had such a beautiful family.  He and my son shared the same surgeon – Dr. Moore at Mayo.  His family is in my thoughts and prayers.   I loved his quote – so beautiful and filled with such truth.

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                                    Participant

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

Karin L
                                      Participant

Thank you for letting us know Alison.  I am so sorry.  It gets harder and harder to read these updates but it is worse not knowing.  His posts were so kind…I was SO hopeful for him and his family.  Big hugs to all.

Karin

Karin L
                                        Participant

Thank you for letting us know Alison.  I am so sorry.  It gets harder and harder to read these updates but it is worse not knowing.  His posts were so kind…I was SO hopeful for him and his family.  Big hugs to all.

Karin

Karin L
                                          Participant

Karin

fdess056
                                            Participant

Thank you for posting, Allison.  When I was diagnosed woth leptomeningeal disease (same as David) David got in touch with me and we exchanged a few private emails updating each other on our condition, treatments, etc.  I really appreciated his input.  His death is another tough loss for all of us.  There have been to many lately.  I trust he is finally resting in peace

FrankD Brooklyn

fdess056
                                              Participant

Thank you for posting, Allison.  When I was diagnosed woth leptomeningeal disease (same as David) David got in touch with me and we exchanged a few private emails updating each other on our condition, treatments, etc.  I really appreciated his input.  His death is another tough loss for all of us.  There have been to many lately.  I trust he is finally resting in peace

FrankD Brooklyn

fdess056
                                                Participant

FrankD Brooklyn

MeNDave
                                                  Participant

I'm so sorry to hear about David.  I had hoped they could get it under control.  He was a fighter til the end.  Our hearts go out to you and his family.

RIP David… you fought a good fight.

MeNDave
                                                    Participant

I'm so sorry to hear about David.  I had hoped they could get it under control.  He was a fighter til the end.  Our hearts go out to you and his family.

MeNDave
                                                      Participant

NancyGM
                                                        Participant

I am so sorry to hear of David's passing. He thanked me in a response about my experience with Temodar. How very sad. Deepest sympathies to his family.

NancyGM
                                                          Participant

I am so sorry to hear of David's passing. He thanked me in a response about my experience with Temodar. How very sad. Deepest sympathies to his family.

NancyGM
                                                            Participant

Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics