The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dark spot in excision scar

Forums General Melanoma Community Dark spot in excision scar

Participant

There's a dark spot appearing in my excision scar. It's not a scab and it is really scaring me because it seems to be exactly where the orginal lesion was. The wide excision came back with no signs of mm, so how is this possible? Could mm be back just three weeks later? I called my doctor, but he went home at noon. Have to wait until Monday. Is there something else it could be? Blood beneath the skin? Has anyone else had dark spots in their excision scar that scared them?

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Steve

There's a dark spot appearing in my excision scar. It's not a scab and it is really scaring me because it seems to be exactly where the orginal lesion was. The wide excision came back with no signs of mm, so how is this possible? Could mm be back just three weeks later? I called my doctor, but he went home at noon. Have to wait until Monday. Is there something else it could be? Blood beneath the skin? Has anyone else had dark spots in their excision scar that scared them?

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Steve

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Bruising, a stitch, or a freckle.  I've had dark freckles grow back in two different WLE's.  I have freckles in the area and my derm says that if you cut through a freckle, they often grow back bigger through the scar.

You said you had clear margins on the WLE.  Most likely, this is not melanoma.  Take a picture of it for reference and call your doctor again on Monday.  Don't stress too much, you're going to take care of it!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
          Participant

Bruising, a stitch, or a freckle.  I've had dark freckles grow back in two different WLE's.  I have freckles in the area and my derm says that if you cut through a freckle, they often grow back bigger through the scar.

You said you had clear margins on the WLE.  Most likely, this is not melanoma.  Take a picture of it for reference and call your doctor again on Monday.  Don't stress too much, you're going to take care of it!

Best wishes,

Janner

Teodora

Hi Steve,

I've had two surgeries-to remove primary and to remove tissue and lypmh nodes-all came back negative.Anyway pap smear done 10 months later showed some suspicious cells and I've had a biopsy done.A colposcopy was performed and a single dark spot near the original surgery area  came back positive  for melanoma again .Please note that melanoma cells tend to behave erratic and do not always take the lymphatic channels: they can spread locally/ troughout the body via the blood vessels.

You should have the dark spot tested ASAP;I hope that you have no reasons to worry but it does not make any harm to be on the safe side.

Best Regards,

Teodora

Teodora

Hi Steve,

I've had two surgeries-to remove primary and to remove tissue and lypmh nodes-all came back negative.Anyway pap smear done 10 months later showed some suspicious cells and I've had a biopsy done.A colposcopy was performed and a single dark spot near the original surgery area  came back positive  for melanoma again .Please note that melanoma cells tend to behave erratic and do not always take the lymphatic channels: they can spread locally/ troughout the body via the blood vessels.

You should have the dark spot tested ASAP;I hope that you have no reasons to worry but it does not make any harm to be on the safe side.

Best Regards,

Teodora

MichaelFL
                Participant

It has been almost three years since my WLE, but I remember having a dark spot about 1/2 inch from the left side of my scar mere weeks after surgery. When I went for my followup, the derm said not to worry as this is most likely a blood vessel.

It cleared up and went away.

So, hopefully it is just a burst blood vessel or something else related to surgery. Have you derm look at it, but try not to worry until then.

Michael 1b

MichaelFL
                  Participant

It has been almost three years since my WLE, but I remember having a dark spot about 1/2 inch from the left side of my scar mere weeks after surgery. When I went for my followup, the derm said not to worry as this is most likely a blood vessel.

It cleared up and went away.

So, hopefully it is just a burst blood vessel or something else related to surgery. Have you derm look at it, but try not to worry until then.

Michael 1b

StevenK
                    Participant

Again I am deeply thankful for your replies. Discovering a mysterious dark spot at the same location as my primary is pretty unnerving for me. It's not like I was dealing with everything calmly to begin with. Your replies help me let the air out of the balloon of panic that's been rising in me again. I don't know how I would make it through the weekend without your help. Thanks so much.

Steve

StevenK
                      Participant

Again I am deeply thankful for your replies. Discovering a mysterious dark spot at the same location as my primary is pretty unnerving for me. It's not like I was dealing with everything calmly to begin with. Your replies help me let the air out of the balloon of panic that's been rising in me again. I don't know how I would make it through the weekend without your help. Thanks so much.

Steve

mlbjab
                        Participant

I'm willing to bet it's a stitch.  I had stitches come out at about that time.  They appeared dark colored and were sounded by a granuloma. 

mlbjab
                          Participant

I'm willing to bet it's a stitch.  I had stitches come out at about that time.  They appeared dark colored and were sounded by a granuloma. 

[email protected]
                            Participant

I had the same thing happen on my excision 11 years ago right after my stage 3 dx. Both my derm and my onc watched it for about 2 years, each saying it was nothing to worry about. We moved from Cincinnati to Chicago and my new derm wanted it off immediately. It turned out to be mm insitu. My derm said she couldn't tell me if it was something left over from the orig mm or it was a new one. Thankfully since it was only insitu I didn't need any additional excision or treatment. I would ask for it to be removed just for peace of mind. As an MRF board member, I have heard some of our researchers say it only takes one left over cell that multiplies to start the whole mm cycle over.

Good luck and take care!

Cara Tindell

[email protected]
                              Participant

I had the same thing happen on my excision 11 years ago right after my stage 3 dx. Both my derm and my onc watched it for about 2 years, each saying it was nothing to worry about. We moved from Cincinnati to Chicago and my new derm wanted it off immediately. It turned out to be mm insitu. My derm said she couldn't tell me if it was something left over from the orig mm or it was a new one. Thankfully since it was only insitu I didn't need any additional excision or treatment. I would ask for it to be removed just for peace of mind. As an MRF board member, I have heard some of our researchers say it only takes one left over cell that multiplies to start the whole mm cycle over.

Good luck and take care!

Cara Tindell

Ranisa
                                Participant

I have had many many dark spots-even months after my surgery and all of mine where left over stitches trying to work there way out.  HOWEVER always be safe and have it checked out.

Ranisa
                                  Participant

I have had many many dark spots-even months after my surgery and all of mine where left over stitches trying to work there way out.  HOWEVER always be safe and have it checked out.

nicoli
                                    Participant

Even though a path report says clear margins, some cells can still sneak in. I had a recurrence right in the middle of my skin graft and it appeared as an extremely small dot. Biopsy showed it to be melanoma. The only difference is that mine came a few months after surgery, instead of a few weeks.

Please insist on a biopsy.

Nicki, Stage 3b

nicoli
                                      Participant

Even though a path report says clear margins, some cells can still sneak in. I had a recurrence right in the middle of my skin graft and it appeared as an extremely small dot. Biopsy showed it to be melanoma. The only difference is that mine came a few months after surgery, instead of a few weeks.

Please insist on a biopsy.

Nicki, Stage 3b

StevenK
                                        Participant

I saw my derm today. The dark spot turned out to be a stitch working it's way to the surface, as well as a couple of in-grown hairs in the same spot. I guess a granuloma or something had formed around them. It was dark and round and in the same location as my primary so it really scared me. There was nothing that needed to be biopsied. I'm relieved, of course. Thanks again for the replies that helped calm me. Next up for me is a SNB, hopefully in a couple of weeks.

Best regards, Steve 

StevenK
                                          Participant

I saw my derm today. The dark spot turned out to be a stitch working it's way to the surface, as well as a couple of in-grown hairs in the same spot. I guess a granuloma or something had formed around them. It was dark and round and in the same location as my primary so it really scared me. There was nothing that needed to be biopsied. I'm relieved, of course. Thanks again for the replies that helped calm me. Next up for me is a SNB, hopefully in a couple of weeks.

Best regards, Steve 

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics