The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dallas Mel Centers &/or Doctors

Forums General Melanoma Community Dallas Mel Centers &/or Doctors

Participant

My company may be asking/forcing/requesting (depending on how you look at it) to relocate from Boston to Dallas.  I've received life saving care in Boston so would like same in Dallas.  Is there a melanoma center in Dallas that anyone has personal experience with?  Also, anyone aware of how far a drive it would be to MD Anderson from the Dallas/Fort Worth area?  Thanks in advance.

signed, Nervous in New England

My company may be asking/forcing/requesting (depending on how you look at it) to relocate from Boston to Dallas.  I've received life saving care in Boston so would like same in Dallas.  Is there a melanoma center in Dallas that anyone has personal experience with?  Also, anyone aware of how far a drive it would be to MD Anderson from the Dallas/Fort Worth area?  Thanks in advance.

signed, Nervous in New England

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        CAdesiree
        Participant

i just checked on mapquest.  looks like about 4 1/2 hrs from ft worth to houston.  i checked from ft worth bc it is farther west and houston is southeast… so i assume its the high estimate of time. i dont know any drs there.  but thought that might help a little.  best of luck to you.

CAdesiree
          Participant

i just checked on mapquest.  looks like about 4 1/2 hrs from ft worth to houston.  i checked from ft worth bc it is farther west and houston is southeast… so i assume its the high estimate of time. i dont know any drs there.  but thought that might help a little.  best of luck to you.

MichaelFL
            Participant
              Here are the three melanoma centers in Texas. You can do a Mpaquest to find out the exact distance.

http://www.mapquest.com/

M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
              University of Texas
              1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Box 91
              Houston, Texas 77030
              (713) 792-2121

San Antonio Cancer Institute
              University of Texas Health Science Center
              at San Antonio
              7703 Floyd Curl Drive, MSC 7772
              San Antonio, Texas 78229-3900
              (210) 567-2710

University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
              5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
              Dallas, TX 75390
              (214) 648-3111
              (214) 648-7070

Michael

MichaelFL
              Participant
                Here are the three melanoma centers in Texas. You can do a Mpaquest to find out the exact distance.

http://www.mapquest.com/

M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
                University of Texas
                1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Box 91
                Houston, Texas 77030
                (713) 792-2121

San Antonio Cancer Institute
                University of Texas Health Science Center
                at San Antonio
                7703 Floyd Curl Drive, MSC 7772
                San Antonio, Texas 78229-3900
                (210) 567-2710

University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
                5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
                Dallas, TX 75390
                (214) 648-3111
                (214) 648-7070

Michael

ccbreeding
                Participant
                  I live in Ft Worth and am stage IIIA (NED 4 yrs)…I have always gone to MDA. To me it’s definitely worth the drive…about 4 hrs…especially when I realize people from all over the world go there:)
                  If it’s not possible for you to go to Houston then I would look into Baylor Dallas and UT Southwestern. I’ve heard good things about both places.
                  Best of luck- Courtney
                  ccbreeding
                  Participant
                    I live in Ft Worth and am stage IIIA (NED 4 yrs)…I have always gone to MDA. To me it’s definitely worth the drive…about 4 hrs…especially when I realize people from all over the world go there:)
                    If it’s not possible for you to go to Houston then I would look into Baylor Dallas and UT Southwestern. I’ve heard good things about both places.
                    Best of luck- Courtney
                    jcraigdawson
                    Participant

Dallas is full of very respected doctors in the field of Melanoma both clinically and research wise. The area has a strong presence by "Texas Oncology" which co-exists with many of the hospitals.

In the last month I've had surgery for what was once IIIA and done a lot of consultations on next steps/clinical trials, including at MD Anderson. When all is said and done, the Oncology Doctors all  know each other very well here in Texas, and are constantly chatting about patients and developments.

For continuity of care, I'd ask your doctor who he might know down here.

As for the doctors:

Dr Steckler is the best surgen you can have on your team, he finished his fellowship at MD Anderson in 1973, so he's got a pile of experience.

Dr Greenburg (Texas Oncology in Plano (north of the city) for Radiation

Research Experts

Dr Cowey at Baylor

Dr Nemunaitis at Mary Crowley (Med City)

I use Dr Christopher Stokoe for my base care, he's a wonderful Oncological Generalist

If you do go to MD Anderson Dr. Kevin Kim

As for UT Southwestern, they tend to be more research based rather than clinical.

Hope this helps.

jcraigdawson
                      Participant

Dallas is full of very respected doctors in the field of Melanoma both clinically and research wise. The area has a strong presence by "Texas Oncology" which co-exists with many of the hospitals.

In the last month I've had surgery for what was once IIIA and done a lot of consultations on next steps/clinical trials, including at MD Anderson. When all is said and done, the Oncology Doctors all  know each other very well here in Texas, and are constantly chatting about patients and developments.

For continuity of care, I'd ask your doctor who he might know down here.

As for the doctors:

Dr Steckler is the best surgen you can have on your team, he finished his fellowship at MD Anderson in 1973, so he's got a pile of experience.

Dr Greenburg (Texas Oncology in Plano (north of the city) for Radiation

Research Experts

Dr Cowey at Baylor

Dr Nemunaitis at Mary Crowley (Med City)

I use Dr Christopher Stokoe for my base care, he's a wonderful Oncological Generalist

If you do go to MD Anderson Dr. Kevin Kim

As for UT Southwestern, they tend to be more research based rather than clinical.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics