The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dabrafenib is working

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community Dabrafenib is working

Participant
      Hi everyone, I just wanted to share a positive story about this BRAF inhibitor that I know some of you are also taking.

I have been on Dab for nearly 12 weeks, I failed entry to the BRAF/MEK inhibitor trial due to my lung condition at the time of assessment but GSK granted me compassionate access. When I started taking it, I was in need of steroids to allow me to breath properly, there were multiple small flat mucosal lesions in my lungs threatening to grow into tumors as well as one defined nodule of 4mm, and a number of my lymph nodes were significantly enlarged.

I had my first set of review scans today, and good results. All of the lymph nodes that were identified have decreased in size, eg one that was 16 x 40mm is now measuring 22 x 6mm, a 25 x 16mm is now 9 x 5mm, a 20 x 28mm is now 15 x 10mm (I won’t bore you with all the measurements but you get the idea). My lungs are described as”clear with no pulmonary nodule seen”. All my other organs remain clear (thankfully I hadn’t developed mets anywhere else before I started Dab).

I am so relieved to have this improvement within 12 weeks and can only hope it continues. Every moment more I get with my family especially my husband and little son is so precious. And I am so greatful to the scientists and doctors who have brought about this advance.

Hoping others of you find strength for your battles.
      Ally

Viewing 22 reply threads
    • Replies
        Erinmay22
        Participant

Ally – so great to hear!

Erinmay22
          Participant

Ally – so great to hear!

Erinmay22
            Participant

Ally – so great to hear!

aldakota22
              Participant

Very good news to share.Pray it only gets even better over traetment.Will keep you in my prayers.Beat the Beast.  AL

aldakota22
                Participant

Very good news to share.Pray it only gets even better over traetment.Will keep you in my prayers.Beat the Beast.  AL

aldakota22
                  Participant

Harry in Fair Oaks
                    Participant

Great news!  I'm also on this drug as part of the GSK BRAF/MEK trial, and Dabrafenib probably is the part that's doing the "heavy lifting."

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                      Participant

Great news!  I'm also on this drug as part of the GSK BRAF/MEK trial, and Dabrafenib probably is the part that's doing the "heavy lifting."

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                        Participant

Best wishes,

Harry

AllyNTAus
                            Participant
                              Harry I reckon that’s right, I just wish I could get my hands on the MEK inhibitor as well because they seem to think that is impacting positively on durability of response, but maybe they will get the combo therapy onto the market in not too long.
                              Best wishes to you too
                              AllyNTAus
                              Participant
                                Harry I reckon that’s right, I just wish I could get my hands on the MEK inhibitor as well because they seem to think that is impacting positively on durability of response, but maybe they will get the combo therapy onto the market in not too long.
                                Best wishes to you too
                                AllyNTAus
                                Participant
                                  Best wishes to you too
                                KRob
                                Participant

Fantastic news! I had just read an article about Dabrafenib on Australia's Melanoma Institute site.

Are you in the U.S. or abroad?

Karen

KRob
                                  Participant

Fantastic news! I had just read an article about Dabrafenib on Australia's Melanoma Institute site.

Karen

AllyNTAus
                                      Participant
                                        Karen, I live in Darwin (Oz) but travel to Sydney every 4 weeks to see my doctor at Westmead Hospital and get my next months supply of the drug.
                                        AllyNTAus
                                        Participant
                                          Karen, I live in Darwin (Oz) but travel to Sydney every 4 weeks to see my doctor at Westmead Hospital and get my next months supply of the drug.
                                          AllyNTAus
                                          Participant
                                          KRob
                                          Participant

Karen

awillett1991
                                            Participant
                                              Thanks for the update – congrats on your good news! Praying it continues!
                                              awillett1991
                                              Participant
                                                awillett1991
                                                Participant
                                                  jennyholden
                                                  Participant

Hi great news on the cancer reducing and fingers crossed for you. My husband has through his oncologist applied on compassionate grounds the use of dabrafenib it seems to be a waiting game can yourself or anyone reading this tell me how long it takes for the paper work to be approved through the Pharmaceutical company? we are holding our breath while the cancer is growing through the bones and lymph nodes.

jennyholden
                                                    Participant

Hi great news on the cancer reducing and fingers crossed for you. My husband has through his oncologist applied on compassionate grounds the use of dabrafenib it seems to be a waiting game can yourself or anyone reading this tell me how long it takes for the paper work to be approved through the Pharmaceutical company? we are holding our breath while the cancer is growing through the bones and lymph nodes.

jennyholden
                                                      Participant

jennyholden
                                                        Participant

we are in Brisbane Australia

jennyholden
                                                          Participant

jennyholden
                                                            Participant

AllyNTAus
                                                              Participant
                                                                Jenny, in my case the approval was about two weeks if I remember correctly.
                                                                Unfortunately Dabrafenib only kept working for me for about 10 months. I then spent a short period on a Novartis BRAF/MEK inhibitor trial but that also recently came to an end with some nasty progression of my disease, and I have just started Ipi (Yervoy). I am grateful that Dabrafenib bought me some time though, and got me to this point where Yervoy has just been PBS subsidised
                                                                jennyholden
                                                                Participant

Thankyou for the prompt reply, my husband and I after 27 years of marriage felt it had all come to an end but your log of treatment that we will also journey on as well gives us that hope that we have time yet to follow our dreams. You are an inspiration and I wish your journey be trouble free with the disease regressing.

AllyNTAus
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    Unfortunately Dabrafenib only kept working for me for about 10 months. I then spent a short period on a Novartis BRAF/MEK inhibitor trial but that also recently came to an end with some nasty progression of my disease, and I have just started Ipi (Yervoy). I am grateful that Dabrafenib bought me some time though, and got me to this point where Yervoy has just been PBS subsidised
                                                                    AllyNTAus
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      jennyholden
                                                                      Participant

Thankyou for the prompt reply, my husband and I after 27 years of marriage felt it had all come to an end but your log of treatment that we will also journey on as well gives us that hope that we have time yet to follow our dreams. You are an inspiration and I wish your journey be trouble free with the disease regressing.

jennyholden
                                                                        Participant

Viewing 22 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics