The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dabrafanib dosage?

Forums General Melanoma Community Dabrafanib dosage?

Participant

Hey.  After a whirlwind tour of WBR and 1 dose of ipilimumab, my husband is switching to dabrafinib due to his rapidly deterioriating condition. I was surprised to get the bottle today and see the dosage said take two pills (150mg total) once a day, instead of twice a day.  For those of you currently on dabrifinib/taflinar, what dosage are you taking? I put in a call to John's oncologist but wanted to check here as well!

Thanks!

Donna

Hey.  After a whirlwind tour of WBR and 1 dose of ipilimumab, my husband is switching to dabrafinib due to his rapidly deterioriating condition. I was surprised to get the bottle today and see the dosage said take two pills (150mg total) once a day, instead of twice a day.  For those of you currently on dabrifinib/taflinar, what dosage are you taking? I put in a call to John's oncologist but wanted to check here as well!

Thanks!

Donna

Viewing 28 reply threads
    • Replies
        DeniseK
        Participant

I've been taking 2 pills twice a day, double checked my prescription and it says take 2 capsules TWICE daily.  I think this is the standard dosage.

All my best 

Denise

DeniseK
          Participant

I've been taking 2 pills twice a day, double checked my prescription and it says take 2 capsules TWICE daily.  I think this is the standard dosage.

All my best 

Denise

DeniseK
            Participant

All my best 

Denise

POW
              Participant

I think you are brilliant for being both knowledgeable and observant! Good for you!

Is your husband taking only dabrafenib or is he on the dabrafenib + MEK combination? If he's on the combo, that might make a difference in the dosages.

POW
                Participant

I think you are brilliant for being both knowledgeable and observant! Good for you!

Is your husband taking only dabrafenib or is he on the dabrafenib + MEK combination? If he's on the combo, that might make a difference in the dosages.

POW
                  Participant

Mat
                    Participant
                      Same as Denise and I’m on the combo.
                      Mat
                      Participant
                        Mat
                        Participant
                          Johnfdc7
                          Participant

Hi Donna

I have been on Dabrafenib for 9 months now. The recommended full dose is 150mg twice per day taken as 2 x 75mg tablets twice per day ie 4 tablets in total per day. I recently added the MEK to mix to make the combo and this requires 1 x 2mg tablet per day. 

So in total I take 2 x red/brown Dabrafenib (Tafinlar) capsules twice per day – as close to 12 hours apart as possible. I also take 1 small pink Trametinib (Mekinist) tablet per day with the morning dose.

Hope this helps

John

Johnfdc7
                            Participant

Hi Donna

I have been on Dabrafenib for 9 months now. The recommended full dose is 150mg twice per day taken as 2 x 75mg tablets twice per day ie 4 tablets in total per day. I recently added the MEK to mix to make the combo and this requires 1 x 2mg tablet per day. 

So in total I take 2 x red/brown Dabrafenib (Tafinlar) capsules twice per day – as close to 12 hours apart as possible. I also take 1 small pink Trametinib (Mekinist) tablet per day with the morning dose.

Hope this helps

John

Johnfdc7
                              Participant

Hi Donna

Hope this helps

John

GAngel
                                Participant

Hi Donna. I bet it is a mistake as my husband is on the combo and on the same dosage as the others who posted before me.  As I am sure you  know we all have to pay close attention to ensure appropriate care as evidenced by your discovery. I just learned that the first bottle of MEK that was delivered should have been refrigerated and I had to advise the pharmacy of their mistake. I wasn't happy that I had  to tell them what they should have already  known. So it  turns out that my  husband has been taking MEK that was unstable and most likely compromised for the past three weeks.

GAngel
                                  Participant

Hi Donna. I bet it is a mistake as my husband is on the combo and on the same dosage as the others who posted before me.  As I am sure you  know we all have to pay close attention to ensure appropriate care as evidenced by your discovery. I just learned that the first bottle of MEK that was delivered should have been refrigerated and I had to advise the pharmacy of their mistake. I wasn't happy that I had  to tell them what they should have already  known. So it  turns out that my  husband has been taking MEK that was unstable and most likely compromised for the past three weeks.

GAngel
                                    Participant

GAngel
                                      Participant

GAngel
                                        Participant

GAngel
                                          Participant

Been taking 300 mg per day Dab and and 1 mg per day MEK for 2 years 8 months. Never refrigerated the MEK. Doing well but starting to grow wild type melanoma lately, which are treated with knife fights.
                                            Been taking 300 mg per day Dab and and 1 mg per day MEK for 2 years 8 months. Never refrigerated the MEK. Doing well but starting to grow wild type melanoma lately, which are treated with knife fights.
                                            Johnfdc7
                                            Participant

Donna brings up an interesting point on the storage of Mekinist/Trametinib. The GSK info below recommends storage at 2-8C.

I added the MEKi to the BRAFi treatment a month ago and nobody mentioned these specific storage conditions to me. 

http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_mekinist.pdf

Must follow up on this

DonnaK
                                              Participant

Thanks for all the quick responses.  Not surprisingly, the dosage was a mistake.  I am pretty angry that this happened but I guess there isn't much I can do. My husband is being seen by an excellent oncologist at Sloan Kettering, but the doc that wrote this prescription was actually substituting for his regular oncologist while she was on vacation.  I know it's a new drug, and I know I need to be his number one advocate, but why on earth should I have known what the standard dosage is?? Sorry…just needed to vent for a minute! 

DonnaK
                                                Participant

Thanks for all the quick responses.  Not surprisingly, the dosage was a mistake.  I am pretty angry that this happened but I guess there isn't much I can do. My husband is being seen by an excellent oncologist at Sloan Kettering, but the doc that wrote this prescription was actually substituting for his regular oncologist while she was on vacation.  I know it's a new drug, and I know I need to be his number one advocate, but why on earth should I have known what the standard dosage is?? Sorry…just needed to vent for a minute! 

DonnaK
                                                  Participant

POW
                                                    Participant

Donna, you are well within your rights to be angry about this. Absolutely. But as you say, right or wrong, fair or unfair, reasonable or not, patients and their caregivers MUST be as well-informed as possible about everything. Nobody will advocate for us more vigorously than we advocate for ourselves.

GAngel
                                                      Participant

I followed up with the pharmacy and with GSK and was advised that MEK is to be refrigerated, confirming what I had read in the insert that came from GSK.  I was advised that as long as the meds did not reach a temperature above 81 degrees that it would be stable for 30 days.  The problem is that I live in California where the temperatures had ranged from 80 to 100 degrees during that time period and our central air is not working. Therefore, the meds were most likely not effectively doing the job intended.  The MEK is now delivered by the new specialty pharmacy in a cold package with a big sticker that says "Must be refrigerated".  

I have many stories similar to this regarding mistakes made by medical professionals and pharmacies. They are human, mistakes are made every day, that is why they have medical malpractice insurance.  We, on the other hand, have one life, no one cares more about it than we do.  Advocate for it, period.  

Gina

GAngel
                                                        Participant

I followed up with the pharmacy and with GSK and was advised that MEK is to be refrigerated, confirming what I had read in the insert that came from GSK.  I was advised that as long as the meds did not reach a temperature above 81 degrees that it would be stable for 30 days.  The problem is that I live in California where the temperatures had ranged from 80 to 100 degrees during that time period and our central air is not working. Therefore, the meds were most likely not effectively doing the job intended.  The MEK is now delivered by the new specialty pharmacy in a cold package with a big sticker that says "Must be refrigerated".  

I have many stories similar to this regarding mistakes made by medical professionals and pharmacies. They are human, mistakes are made every day, that is why they have medical malpractice insurance.  We, on the other hand, have one life, no one cares more about it than we do.  Advocate for it, period.  

Gina

GAngel
                                                          Participant

Gina

Johnfdc7
                                                            Participant

Donna brings up an interesting point on the storage of Mekinist/Trametinib. The GSK info below recommends storage at 2-8C.

I added the MEKi to the BRAFi treatment a month ago and nobody mentioned these specific storage conditions to me. 

Must follow up on this

Johnfdc7
                                                              Participant

Must follow up on this

POW
                                                                Participant

Donna, you are well within your rights to be angry about this. Absolutely. But as you say, right or wrong, fair or unfair, reasonable or not, patients and their caregivers MUST be as well-informed as possible about everything. Nobody will advocate for us more vigorously than we advocate for ourselves.

POW
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 28 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics