The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Cyber Knife for Melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Cyber Knife for Melanoma

Participant

Soooo- four weeks ago a routine CT scan showed no old areas after 6 months of Taf/Mek. but it did show a new area on the side of DH's right lung. The oncologist wanted a Pet scan within two weeks. This showed and inconclusive area, so a needle biopsy was scheduled. At the same time they inserted a gold marker for targeted radiation.  The biopsy came back positive, and DH started the calibration process with the Cyber Knife.  CK is so accurate, and follows the gold marker even during breathing, cutting down on lung exposure of good tissues. Ran into some problems with calibration because of his pacemaker wires, but finally today had his first radiation treatment. 4 more scheduled next week.

So my question is: Anyone have experience with this form of radiation? Results? Side effects? We don't know anyone else who has ever had this; they've only had the Cyber Knife machine and docs for 1 1/2 years here.  Any experiences welcome. Thank you!

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        vivian
        Participant

Yes, I am currently undergoing my second CyberKnife experience!  My melanoma, diagnosed in 2010, seems to be “indolent”.  So far, it has shown up with 4 solitary mets to the left lung.  I had two of them removed by VATS, about a year apart.  The third one showed up within six months of the surgery.  I chose to give CyberKnife a try.  It was awesomely easy!  The treated met is still there, but obviously dead and getting smaller.  Does not light on a PET/CT.  The 4th met which is being CyberKnifed now is in a different lobe, so we are sure it isn’t the same one.  Because I had a bone marrow transplant 15 years ago, all docs are reluctant to do immunotherapy or other systemic treatments, so cutting or zapping are my best options.  

I had no side effects at all from the first CyberKnife experience, other than a short-lived minor cough. That was two years ago. I have one more treatment on this 4th met, so we shall see.  However, I feel fine so far.

Good luck to your husband!

Lear

Oldwife
            Participant

This is so helpful! Thank you so much! We've been told Cyber Knife treatments typically have few side effects, but sometimes I also find docs don't 'happen' to mention stuff that can happen. Your experience gives me hope from our patient side of the fence. Happy New Year!

Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics