The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

CT Scan

Forums General Melanoma Community CT Scan

Participant

Hi all,

Just looking for any advice that anyone can give. I had a CT scan (was experiencing some chest pain) and the results were so obscure. My dr. wants to follow up with a pet scan or another CT scan in a couple of months to see the difference. He didn't really go into details as to what causes (other than melanoma) these items and I was wondering if anyone has run into these before and if they turned out to be something or nothing. I know that maybe I am not giving enough info but don't have a copy of my scan yet but am stressing out. The terminology in question is:

-thickening of the pleural wall on the right side 

-abdominal stranding between the liver and the kidney

I haven't ever even heard of abdominal stranding and don't know how or what it relates to. Can't seem to find much on a google search either.

They are both listed as incidental findings as the scan did not include the whole abdominal/pelvic area it was mainly a scan on the lungs.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I know that another test is the only definitive way to determine what's going on but we all spend enough time obsessing over our reports that I thought this would be worth a try.

Thanks,

Nancy

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Nanners10
        Participant

As a side note I had a CT scan Nov 17 and all was clear. All that has changed was that I began treatment with interferon. Not sure if that could cause this time of change in the report or if MM is rearing its ugly head again.

Nanners10
          Participant

As a side note I had a CT scan Nov 17 and all was clear. All that has changed was that I began treatment with interferon. Not sure if that could cause this time of change in the report or if MM is rearing its ugly head again.

Nanners10
            Participant

Gene_S
              Participant

Pleural thickening is a condition in which the lining of the lungs thickens.

Pleural thickening is a common side effect of exposure to asbestos, and this thickening is an early warning sign for diagnosis. The pleural membranes thicken as a result of the chronic irritation and inflammation

Gene_S
                Participant

Pleural thickening is a common side effect of exposure to asbestos, and this thickening is an early warning sign for diagnosis. The pleural membranes thicken as a result of the chronic irritation and inflammation

Gene_S
                  Participant

WithinMySkin
                    Participant
                      First off, I’m sorry to hear about your chest pain. Did you doctor actually do anything to help with the chest pain or run any other tests? Are you still in pain? Are you having any difficulties breathing when you exert yourself? There are so many causes of chest pain, and I know we all think Melanoma on this board, but heart conditions are even more common than cancer. Women experience heart attacks differently than men – usually aching chest and shortness of breath. My whole family has heart disease so it’s always on my radar.

Thickening of the pleural wall can be due to all kinds of things – infection, TB, asbestos as previously stated, irritation, cancer…it’s a very obscure finding. But since you mention chest pain, this could definitely be the cause. But why not investigate further? I believe they can do a biopsy and see what the cause is. Not pleasant, but it would be hard to watch and wait.

WithinMySkin
                      Participant
                        First off, I’m sorry to hear about your chest pain. Did you doctor actually do anything to help with the chest pain or run any other tests? Are you still in pain? Are you having any difficulties breathing when you exert yourself? There are so many causes of chest pain, and I know we all think Melanoma on this board, but heart conditions are even more common than cancer. Women experience heart attacks differently than men – usually aching chest and shortness of breath. My whole family has heart disease so it’s always on my radar.

Thickening of the pleural wall can be due to all kinds of things – infection, TB, asbestos as previously stated, irritation, cancer…it’s a very obscure finding. But since you mention chest pain, this could definitely be the cause. But why not investigate further? I believe they can do a biopsy and see what the cause is. Not pleasant, but it would be hard to watch and wait.

WithinMySkin
                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics