The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

CT Notes – Can someone help me

Forums General Melanoma Community CT Notes – Can someone help me

Participant
      Hello,

I posted a few days ago and have since gotten a clearer chart note uploaded and thought I’d share.  Although I have been responding well to treatment over the last two years, my oncologist said my newest CT scan showed a new mass in a lymph node in my lung.  Over the phone he said, “We’re not sure what it is, I can’t say it’s cancer, so we’ll do a PET scan to see if it identifies any disease.”  My PET scan is next week.

MyChart was finally updated with the CT scan images and notes and I was surprised to read about things he hadn’t even mentioned (ovarian cyst, etc).

I asked a nurse (NP) friend of mine to look it over and she said that they’re stating that the mass in my lung IS cancerous.  The read looks that way to me, too.  Can anyone else weigh in?  If my other tumors have continued to respond to treatment, is it likely this is a different kind of cancer?

CT thorax:
      There is interval development of a 2.6 x 2 cm heterogeneously enhancing left hilar metastatic lymphadenopathy (series 6, image 54). There is no significant mediastinal or axillary lymphadenopathy. There is no lung mass or consolidation. The heart and great vessels are normal. There is no pleural or pericardial effusion. The trachea and bilateral major airways are unremarkable. Multilevel degenerative changes of the visualized axial skeleton.

CT abdomen and pelvis:
      A 0.7 x 0.4 cm treated right hepatic metastasis (series 6, image 156) previously measured 1.3 x 1 cm. The remainder of the liver, gallbladder, pancreas, spleen, both adrenals and bilateral kidneys are normal. The stomach, small and large bowel are normal. No significant mesenteric, retroperitoneal or pelvic lymphadenopathy. There is no ascites. A 4.3 x 3.2 cm left ovarian unilocular cyst is seen. The uterus shows heterogeneous enhancement. There is no solid adnexal mass. The urinary bladder shows mild, diffuse wall thickening. Multilevel degenerative changes of the visualized axial skeleton.

Thank you for your time!!

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        MelWave
        Participant
          Hi,

It is not possible to be sure from CT alone if the mass is cancerous – as you probably know they want to see if it lights up on PET.

Melanoma can mutate and the new tumor can be resistant to whatever immune response your body has currently developed -so it it is cancer it can well be melanoma. In this case (more)immunotherapy still  has a chance to work once again, against this new tumor.

Ovarian cyst is a common finding and in the overwhelming majority of cases they are non-cancerous.

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics