The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

CT dyes- allergy reactions

Forums General Melanoma Community CT dyes- allergy reactions

Participant

I am asking if anyone can tell me something about the dyes. I have done scans and scans for most of my life.

3 months ago I had a reaction and I itched and hived on feet, legs, truck, back face, and arms starting about 5 minutes after the CT scan. They treated me with a couple IV pushes of Benadryl and said next time I would need to be premedicated due to allergy reaction.

I am asking if anyone can tell me something about the dyes. I have done scans and scans for most of my life.

3 months ago I had a reaction and I itched and hived on feet, legs, truck, back face, and arms starting about 5 minutes after the CT scan. They treated me with a couple IV pushes of Benadryl and said next time I would need to be premedicated due to allergy reaction.

Yesterday I had my scan and I had to take Medrol 32 mg 12 hours before and then again at 2 hours before as well as 50 mg of Benadryl 1 hour before. The tech says the premeds usually always work in 99% of the patients…I drink 3 glasses of medium stuff that taste like gator aid…then after they do a couple run throughs in the machine they use a drip of Optiray 320. This time they started the drip and ran me in the machine and on the way out I was starting a serious reaction to the dye. I went into shock and it was an awful ordeal yesterday. Hives, itching, urge to vomit, bottomed out on BP , breathing trouble, blacked out, they pushed steroids and Benadryl in my line and some other things. They hooked me up to monitors and over a course of time  I had 7 adrenaline shots to the chest. I was trembling and shaking all over like Parkinsons.They had to monitor me so they admitted me and kept me on O2 and gave me zantac in IV as well. They wanted to give me Duladid but my hubby and I said no.

I didn't even get to do my MRI or my Anti PD 1. My question is I had to reschedule my Anti PD 1 and MRI…and the nurse says I need to take the premeds again. It had to be on the first drip of the CT dye I had reaction….now I am scared because of the MRI dye…anyone know if I will end up in shock again??-  Dr W says I need to be certified as allergic to Iodinated  radio contract dyes and Optiray320 and I should never take the stuff again…why would I need to be premed again for the MRI? Isn't it also an iodinated dye?  It was so close to death yesterday and if one drop in my vein can do that what is going to happen if they use it again for the MRI? Do they have a substitute dye for people who are allergic?- Lynn

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

I'm allergic to Iodine also, luckily I knew this going into this ordeal (my skin reacts to anything with iodine in it).  I am given Cimetidine 300mg , Predinisone 10mg (5 tabs 2X),  and Benedryl.Whenever I make an appointment, go have something cut off, ect. I remind them.  When the start to stick the drip in I remind them.  Even if I have premedicated, I still remind them in case I do react, they will know immediately what it is. 

I have had a CT scan without dye, it is just not quite as good.  I think you will find a major change in your premed.  The premed combo works great for me.  I hope it does for you.

Good Luck!

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
          Participant

I'm allergic to Iodine also, luckily I knew this going into this ordeal (my skin reacts to anything with iodine in it).  I am given Cimetidine 300mg , Predinisone 10mg (5 tabs 2X),  and Benedryl.Whenever I make an appointment, go have something cut off, ect. I remind them.  When the start to stick the drip in I remind them.  Even if I have premedicated, I still remind them in case I do react, they will know immediately what it is. 

I have had a CT scan without dye, it is just not quite as good.  I think you will find a major change in your premed.  The premed combo works great for me.  I hope it does for you.

Good Luck!

Mary

Stage 3

Rick from NC
            Participant

I had 2 adverse reactions to the IV contrast for CT scans, the 2nd more significant than the first.  Ever since, my CT scans have been without contrast.  The contrast given during MRIs never affected me; I'm not sure how it differs.

Rick from NC
              Participant

I had 2 adverse reactions to the IV contrast for CT scans, the 2nd more significant than the first.  Ever since, my CT scans have been without contrast.  The contrast given during MRIs never affected me; I'm not sure how it differs.

Jerry from Cape Cod
                Participant

Lynn,

my experiences much like yours. After many years of CTAs with contrast I developed the allergy. Because the trial errors on did not allow steroids all subsequent CTs have been ordered without contrast. I also found out from one of thetechs that the "lightweight" and much tastier pretreatment contains a small amount of iodine. So it was back to no contrast and the horribly tasting barium pre-drink.

Even though I'm now off ipi and had to have steroids administered for now the problem we will continue to order the CAT scans without contrast.

By doctors say that it really doesn't make a great difference in routine scans.

If it's good enough for them I'm happy.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
                    Participant

Lynn,

I forgot to mention that I have absolutely no problem with the MRI contrast and the doctors, technicians and nurses assured me that is a completely different formulation.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
                      Participant

Lynn,

I forgot to mention that I have absolutely no problem with the MRI contrast and the doctors, technicians and nurses assured me that is a completely different formulation.

Jerry from Cape Cod

killmel
                        Participant

Hi Jerry,

I have not been  aorund lately. Please catch me up.

You mentioned you are off IPI. Are you on any other treatment. Are you NED? Why are you taking steroids??

Wishing you the best always!

Dave

killmel
                          Participant

Hi Jerry,

I have not been  aorund lately. Please catch me up.

You mentioned you are off IPI. Are you on any other treatment. Are you NED? Why are you taking steroids??

Wishing you the best always!

Dave

Jerry from Cape Cod
                          Participant

Lynn,

my experiences much like yours. After many years of CTAs with contrast I developed the allergy. Because the trial errors on did not allow steroids all subsequent CTs have been ordered without contrast. I also found out from one of thetechs that the "lightweight" and much tastier pretreatment contains a small amount of iodine. So it was back to no contrast and the horribly tasting barium pre-drink.

Even though I'm now off ipi and had to have steroids administered for now the problem we will continue to order the CAT scans without contrast.

By doctors say that it really doesn't make a great difference in routine scans.

If it's good enough for them I'm happy.

Jerry from Cape Cod

LynnLuc
                            Participant

Thanks everyone… I have seen video's of people going to in to anaphylaxis shock but never in my life did I think I would experience something like that…I figured since I had the premed I wouldn't have any problems.

I am thinking since I am on Anti PD 1 and it's basically kicked up my system to fight it probably intensified the reaction. I think Medrol couldn't bring it down enough to allow the dye. The first drop and I was history.

I am so afraid of going into shock again for the MRI.

The trial did cause my thyroid to screw up and I am on synthroid now. And since Iodine is collected by the thyroid I am thinking there has to be a relationship between that…any ideas out there? Lynn

Napa K
                                Participant

Same trouble with CT contrast–developed the allergy somewhere along in this journey.  Doc orders it without now and feels pretty strongly that it is not an issue despite how eager all the CT techs are to premedicate me and still use it.  I never let them; sometimes they end up agitated with me but hey….it's my life!

I went in to all of this with a thyroid issue and years of Synthroid so I wonder if that didn't impact everything.

MRI contrast has never been an issue.

Good luck!

Vermont_Donna
                                  Participant

Hi Lynn,

That sounds absolutely horrible and scary!! I have had to be premedicated also for CT scans with contrast, starting 12 hours before the scan and at certain times doing the prednisone and benedryl…..I have always suspected an allergy to iodine as betadine is a problem for me (I get huge hives)…well upon further reading and checking (but not speaking to an allergist) I have read that many people are allergic to not the iodine but some other component in the solutions….still not good….I would really get all this checked out as I am sure you will………we dont want that to happen again!!!!!!

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna, satge 3am NED

Vermont_Donna
                                    Participant

Hi Lynn,

That sounds absolutely horrible and scary!! I have had to be premedicated also for CT scans with contrast, starting 12 hours before the scan and at certain times doing the prednisone and benedryl…..I have always suspected an allergy to iodine as betadine is a problem for me (I get huge hives)…well upon further reading and checking (but not speaking to an allergist) I have read that many people are allergic to not the iodine but some other component in the solutions….still not good….I would really get all this checked out as I am sure you will………we dont want that to happen again!!!!!!

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna, satge 3am NED

Napa K
                                      Participant

Same trouble with CT contrast–developed the allergy somewhere along in this journey.  Doc orders it without now and feels pretty strongly that it is not an issue despite how eager all the CT techs are to premedicate me and still use it.  I never let them; sometimes they end up agitated with me but hey….it's my life!

I went in to all of this with a thyroid issue and years of Synthroid so I wonder if that didn't impact everything.

MRI contrast has never been an issue.

Good luck!

LynnLuc
                                      Participant

Thanks everyone… I have seen video's of people going to in to anaphylaxis shock but never in my life did I think I would experience something like that…I figured since I had the premed I wouldn't have any problems.

I am thinking since I am on Anti PD 1 and it's basically kicked up my system to fight it probably intensified the reaction. I think Medrol couldn't bring it down enough to allow the dye. The first drop and I was history.

I am so afraid of going into shock again for the MRI.

The trial did cause my thyroid to screw up and I am on synthroid now. And since Iodine is collected by the thyroid I am thinking there has to be a relationship between that…any ideas out there? Lynn

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics