The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

crainectomy

Forums General Melanoma Community crainectomy

Participant

I was told about a month or so ago that the tumor was shrinking.  Then edema set in.  Met today with the nuerosurgeon and options are to wait it out on the dex which could take months till the edema gets absorbed.  We agree that I have to get off of these steroids before my immune system is 100% gone.   The issue is the tumor is still there that is deep and the area of speech can be affected.   I've decided that I have to take my chance.   He showed me how there is a cleft to go in through and feels that it will be ok.  If he feels he ca

I was told about a month or so ago that the tumor was shrinking.  Then edema set in.  Met today with the nuerosurgeon and options are to wait it out on the dex which could take months till the edema gets absorbed.  We agree that I have to get off of these steroids before my immune system is 100% gone.   The issue is the tumor is still there that is deep and the area of speech can be affected.   I've decided that I have to take my chance.   He showed me how there is a cleft to go in through and feels that it will be ok.  If he feels he can't get the entire tumor (after pathology is done again) then they could do a touch up with radiation.

They say that the amount of edema that I have is not common.  That tells them that I have had an excellent reaction to the radiation and that my immune system is still working.  

Date is Feb 3rd.  The other option was Feb 2nd but late in the day.  All I could see was I didn't want to be on GroundHog day.  Kept picturing the movie and it keeps going over and over and over……..    Went with the 3rd.

They are trying to get me a little off of the steroids before the surgery. Maybe I can get a little sleep tonight!

Linda

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        KellieSue
        Participant
          I’ve been following your story and it seems a little similar to mine. Had a stroke on Nov 15, pretty big bleeding tumor that has shrunk a bit due to radiation but can’t do anything surgery wise right now because its still a bit too big. Hoping it keeps shrinking. Starting to deal with edema( after coming off steroids te first time) and trying to wean off them again. I too am told edema isn’t uncommon in my position. My tumor isn’t so deep as large now. I am wondering if I’ll having this exact discussion with oncologist tomorrow at appt.
          I’m glad you have a date set and hopefully edema will be resolved, sounds like it could start to become a pain in the ass! lol
          Good luck and I’ll be thinking about you. I enjoy reading your caringbridge.
            lhaley
            Participant

Kellie,

I hope yours gets small enough so they can operate also!   When I walked into the nuro's office he took one look at me and knew I wanted to do something. 

This will work for both of us!

Linda

lhaley
              Participant

Kellie,

I hope yours gets small enough so they can operate also!   When I walked into the nuro's office he took one look at me and knew I wanted to do something. 

Linda

lhaley
                Participant

Kellie,

Linda

KellieSue
                Participant
                  I’ve been following your story and it seems a little similar to mine. Had a stroke on Nov 15, pretty big bleeding tumor that has shrunk a bit due to radiation but can’t do anything surgery wise right now because its still a bit too big. Hoping it keeps shrinking. Starting to deal with edema( after coming off steroids te first time) and trying to wean off them again. I too am told edema isn’t uncommon in my position. My tumor isn’t so deep as large now. I am wondering if I’ll having this exact discussion with oncologist tomorrow at appt.
                  I’m glad you have a date set and hopefully edema will be resolved, sounds like it could start to become a pain in the ass! lol
                  KellieSue
                  Participant
                    King
                    Participant

Hi Linda,

I hope you know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.  There's not much else I can say right now.  I am so sorry that all this is happening to you.  It has to be very frightening.  We're here for you like you've been here for all of us.  (((Linda)))

Stay Strong

King

Stage IV  7/05  Liver mets

King
                      Participant

Hi Linda,

I hope you know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.  There's not much else I can say right now.  I am so sorry that all this is happening to you.  It has to be very frightening.  We're here for you like you've been here for all of us.  (((Linda)))

Stay Strong

King

King
                        Participant

Hi Linda,

Stay Strong

King

James from Sydney
                          Participant

Hi Linda

Sometimes when they go in, it is not as difficult as it looks on scan i hope that its a straight forward one for you as recovery will be quick. Thinking of you.

regards

James

Vermont_Donna
                              Participant

Hi Linda,

I have been thinking of you and am glad that you have a good plan in place. Stay strong and this too you will overcome!

hugs,

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

Vermont_Donna
                                Participant

Hi Linda,

I have been thinking of you and am glad that you have a good plan in place. Stay strong and this too you will overcome!

hugs,

Vermont_Donna
                                  Participant

Hi Linda,

hugs,

James from Sydney
                                  Participant

Hi Linda

Sometimes when they go in, it is not as difficult as it looks on scan i hope that its a straight forward one for you as recovery will be quick. Thinking of you.

regards

James

James from Sydney
                                    Participant

Hi Linda

regards

James

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics