The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Cracking Cancer’s Code

Forums General Melanoma Community Cracking Cancer’s Code

Participant

Two interesting articles that shows how the Genome Project has affected cancer research.  The following is just a brief excerpt from the longer articles.

1. http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2075133_2075127_2075104,00.html

http://defeatosteosarcoma.org/2011/06/cracking-cancers-code/

Two interesting articles that shows how the Genome Project has affected cancer research.  The following is just a brief excerpt from the longer articles.

1. http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2075133_2075127_2075104,00.html

http://defeatosteosarcoma.org/2011/06/cracking-cancers-code/

Eager to put genotyping into practice, doctors at MD Anderson and Massachusetts General Hospital, among others, have already begun using sequencing technology to guide treatment of patients in clinical trials. Even without the full genome map of certain cancers, clinicians are using known mutations linked to cancer to dictate which drugs patients receive. In MD Anderson's program, all lung-cancer patients are offered the chance to join a trial in which their tumors are genetically analyzed for some well-known genetic defects thought to play a role in cancer. About 15% of lung cancers, for example, show mutations in a gene that makes a protein critical for cell growth. Patients with this aberration can enroll in trials in which FDA-approved drugs targeting that mutation are being tested as a first-line therapy, instead of chemotherapy, for treating their disease, giving them a head start in gaining any benefits the drugs might provide. (At the moment, these drugs are approved only for patients with advanced cancer for whom other therapies have failed.)

Cancer experts aren't naive enough to believe that sequencing a tumor just once will reveal all they need to know. Cancer is constantly changing its offensive and defensive plans in response to whatever treatments doctors are using against it. The idea is to rebiopsy patients periodically and allow the dynamic genetic changes in the tumors to educate doctors about how aggressive the cancer is, whether it has developed resistance to drugs and even whether it has spread. "The concept is to let the tumor teach us how to treat patients," says Dr. Waun Ki Hong, head of cancer medicine at MD Anderson.

It's all part of the leap toward personalized cancer care, the therapeutic beacon toward which researchers and doctors have been navigating for a long time. "We fully expect that 10 years from now, each cancer patient is going to want to get a genomic analysis of their cancer and will expect customized therapy based on that information," says Brad Ozenberger, TCGA's program director. Only with more individualized therapies that match the right treatment with the right patient at the right time will the battle ultimately be won.

2.  http://www.sanger.ac.uk/about/press/2009/091216b.html

16th December 2009    Malignant melanoma genome contains 33,000 mutations

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        justlittleoleme
        Participant

Thanks Jerry.  Interesting reads.

justlittleoleme
          Participant

Thanks Jerry.  Interesting reads.

mombase
            Participant

Hi Jerry,

My brain is does not wrap easily around scientific data, so I have a question for you regarding the second article. Am I interpreting correctly  that UV damage affects the cells at the skin level, but if the cells metasticize away from the skin, it is something other than UV damage that causes the spreading of the cancer cells?

Thanks!

Cristy, Stage IV

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

They believe that UVA and UVB damage is the major cause of most mutations that occur in the sun exposed skin areas.  They don't know what causes the mutations in other areas (like mine.) 

One thing that I have read is that in most cancers, only 5% of the cancers cells have the ability to metastasize (spread to other locations).  In melanoma they say that up to 95% of the melanoma cancer cells have the capability to metastasize.  I do not know why the melanoma cells are so much more aggressive.  I have never read that UV rays cause spreading of the disease, just that they cause primary tumors.  Most spread is done thru the lymphatic system and not most oftn through the blood supply.

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

They believe that UVA and UVB damage is the major cause of most mutations that occur in the sun exposed skin areas.  They don't know what causes the mutations in other areas (like mine.) 

One thing that I have read is that in most cancers, only 5% of the cancers cells have the ability to metastasize (spread to other locations).  In melanoma they say that up to 95% of the melanoma cancer cells have the capability to metastasize.  I do not know why the melanoma cells are so much more aggressive.  I have never read that UV rays cause spreading of the disease, just that they cause primary tumors.  Most spread is done thru the lymphatic system and not most oftn through the blood supply.

mombase
                  Participant

Hi Jerry,

My brain is does not wrap easily around scientific data, so I have a question for you regarding the second article. Am I interpreting correctly  that UV damage affects the cells at the skin level, but if the cells metasticize away from the skin, it is something other than UV damage that causes the spreading of the cancer cells?

Thanks!

Cristy, Stage IV

PeterO
                    Participant

And might I ask, who's going to pay for this? "Personalized medicine" implies a therapy plan of one. We can't afford the cost of care as things stand, when at least a few hundred of us stand some chance of benefitting from new drugs for advanced melanoma. Reality bites.

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

The personalized cancer treatment techniiques I have read about seem to be along the TIL lines where there is a set process that then uses a persons own cells to fight their own tumors.

JerryfromFauq
                          Participant

The personalized cancer treatment techniiques I have read about seem to be along the TIL lines where there is a set process that then uses a persons own cells to fight their own tumors.

PeterO
                          Participant

And might I ask, who's going to pay for this? "Personalized medicine" implies a therapy plan of one. We can't afford the cost of care as things stand, when at least a few hundred of us stand some chance of benefitting from new drugs for advanced melanoma. Reality bites.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics