The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

COVID VACCINE & IMMUNOTHERAPY

Forums General Melanoma Community COVID VACCINE & IMMUNOTHERAPY

Participant
      Hi All,

Has anyone received any concrete guidance from their doctors are see articles on receiving the COVID vaccine while receiving immunotherapy?

I became eligible to receive the vaccine this week through my immunotherapy infusion center in Florida. I reached out to my doc @ MDA for guidance and wasn’t provided with much of a recommendation. They just said they don’t have any meaningful data regarding how the vaccine behaves for immunotherapy patients so they can’t recommend anything but they aren’t against receiving it (basically a liability CYA).

I finished adjuvant Opdivo in Nov 2020. Other than the history of melanoma (NED for 1 year), I’m very healthy and 34.

Steve

Viewing 19 reply threads
    • Replies
        JudiAU
        Participant
          Lucky you. I am undergoing immunotherapy and I’d take in a heartbeat.

I have asked and received the same answer. There is really no data either way. Although my doctor did imply with they would likely have a better grasp on risks by the time it came to me.

I will say that steroids are known to enhance the side effects of vaccines. It doesn’t mean that you are forbidden but the likely hood of side effects are enhanced. I don’t know if you taken them are not but I had to start and have been trying to slowly reduce so that I was steroid free by the time it matters.

ThinkingPositive
          Participant
            Here is the response from the Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer: “SITC supports SARS-CoV-2 vaccination in cancer patients receiving immunotherapy”. More info at their website https://www.sitcancer.org/aboutsitc/press-releases/2020/sitc-statement-sars-cov-2-vaccination-cancer-immunotherapy

Cindy

JudiAU
              Participant
                Thank you. That is very helpful. It gives me added incentive to get off steroids.
                Steve33
                Participant
                  Thank you for the link!  Very helpful
                lkb
                Participant
                  Stopped Pembro last June, had surgery in August 2020 and have been NED for three months. My oncology team recommends getting the vaccine.
                  tkoss
                  Participant
                    i took my first hit of Moderna yesterday. i have just finished 24x Opvido.  so 18 hours later, no side effects.

my big question for my docs was immo and covid and whether one exacerbated the other.  The  answer was…..confusing or rather , inconclusive .  Some said it made no difference and others said immo makes a covid episode worse (cytokine storm).

as to the vaccine, first my onc suggested i get it. i have read nothing about any side effects of Moderna much less Moderna in conjunction with Opvido.

and as i said, 18  hours later, no side effects.

tkoss
                    Participant
                      BTW because i was in treatment i was easily afforded access to vaccination thru my clinic
                      mrbill16323
                      Participant
                        I have stage IIIC Malignant melanoma and after surgeries, now in my 6th cycle with Keytruda. Both my surgical and oncological doctors have advised me to be innoculated for COVID19. Enthusiastically awaiting my chance to do so.

Steve33
                          Participant
                            I took my first vaccine shot 2.5 days ago. I developed a fever about 18hrs later. Fever lasted about 24 hrs then subsided. Overall, my experience with COVID vaccine is very similar to what I’ve experienced with flu vaccine.
                          tkoss
                          Participant
                            update;  I have developed persistent hip pain 4 weeks after last Opdivo infusion.  I never had this problem once in 64 years, certainly not while taking Opvido for 1 year.  I asked Onc if there was a Opdivo ‘hangover’ or withdrawal syndrome

still waiting for that answer.

Bubbles
                            Participant
                              For what it’s worth – http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2021/01/new-year-new-career-vaccines.html

Stay safe.  Wear a mask.  Get a vaccine if your doc approves and you can!!!  celeste

tkoss
                                Participant
                                  just talked to doc who assured me there is no Opdivo hangover or withdrawl.  I had to ask.

I guess I will be plagued with the idea that every little twitch or itch will be melanoma.

I will say, being only too human , there has always been times when I thought my questions too dumb to ask and thus not asked them or I didn’t get the complete answer it was looking for. I was not persistent in my pursuit of info. Regardless of everyone else’s experience I find docs and nurses sometimes poor communicators, providing open ended answers and dare I say it, sometime not very articulate or even understandable.

That would be my main critique of my experience. I am not even saying my experience of communications was bad, but there were times when it was a problem

I assume this is ongoing issue in current med ed.

tkoss
                                  Participant
                                    after a trip to urgent care for hip pain, persistent and very painful, along with constipation, got blood work and xray. nothing to note.

so I talked to onc again,  this time I was pretty plain..i hurt.  he was blunt in response.  take ibuporferin.  he also said something about immune therapy and arthritis but i didn’t catch all of it..

but……..3 ibuporefrin worked ….no more hip pain…….

ThinkingPositive
                                  Participant
                                    Here is the response from my oncologist about COVID-19 vax: “Nobody know the right answer in terms of timing of the vaccine with IO therapy. We are telling people to get it two weeks before IO therapy due to any potential inflammatory response”
                                    tkoss
                                    Participant
                                      my onc said it would happen

2nd Moderna shot. lots of local pain at injection site, upper body soreness, some fatigue. 24 hours later.

i wonder why 2nd shot would be so much worse than the 1st.  any ideas?

JudiAU
                                      Participant
                                        Argh, cancer clinic sent an email yesterday that they had not idea when they would be given vaccines and that we should try and be vaccinated by any means necessary. I’m picturing myself in a Spy vs. Spy panel.
                                        MikeInAK
                                        Participant
                                          Steve,

I finished my immunotherapy of Optivo in January 2020.   I got my COVID-19 vaccine shots on January 22 and February 12, 2021.  No real side effects or adverse reactions to the vaccines.   Glad I was able to get them.   My oncology team encouraged me to get vaccinated, I am high risk as I have a history of respitory illness and susceptibility to pnenomia.

Juan Arias
                                          Participant
                                            Inmunotherapy since September, I took the 1st dose of Sinovac Vaccine (China Lab), no problems at all. My Onc recommend Sinovac cause he said “It was developed according to traditional way”. I can choose between Pfizer and Sinovac, and chose the Chinesse. I know many Americans cannot choise Chinese Vaccine ’cause political issues, but I hope who has create the problem help us to finish it. https://forum.melanoma.org/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif
                                            soonerjenn14
                                            Participant
                                              I’m late to the party, but I am currently on the ipi/nivo combo and my oncologist encouraged me to get the vaccine. I got my first hit of Moderna on 3/3/2021 and I had no side effects, only a sore arm. Funny enough, others that I know got their same vaccine the same day, the other 4 all had fatigue, nausea, and fever/chills. Not sure if it’s the immuno or I just got lucky, but I felt fine. Hoping my second shot is as easy as the first!
                                              KrossCanada
                                              Participant
                                                This is so interesting. I’m on ipi/nivo combo and my oncologist did not recommend getting a vaccine since they do not know effects. I’m in Canada, maybe that matters. It’s very frustrating since I feel more at risk while on treatment and prednisone.

ed williams
                                                  Participant
                                                    Hi there KrossCanada, following link from recent oncology virtual conference had an interesting question and answer session and first question was on covid-19 vaccine while on immunotherapy and specific part on steroid use as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpN7iKQV-Sc&list=PLOnM_erAQqIBj54P2wviZ3WxV_okkn58Y&index=9
                                                    KrossCanada
                                                    Participant
                                                      Thank you for this link. That is so helpful. I’m staying on 10mg prednisone for the time being and I’m hoping to restart treatment. I will bring this up with my oncologist again.
                                                    soonerjenn14
                                                    Participant
                                                      Quick update – about 8 days after my shot of Moderna I developed what they refer to as “COVID arm”. I saw my oncologist Friday and he said it was likely due to my revved-up immune system, as it seems only 0.8% of people get this. It’s getting better now, but my arm got pretty swollen and red/feverish. He also mentioned there were no studies on COVID vaccines + immunotherapy so no telling for sure if that is actually the case, but thought I would share. Scheduled to get my second shot on 3/31, I will post if there is anything significant. Take care and stay safe, everyone!
                                                      gopher38
                                                      Participant
                                                        Had the J&J vaccine.  No side effects for me.  Hope it’s effective.
                                                        Mark 2020
                                                        Participant
                                                          Thank you all for your comments.  These really do help me.  I had very good response to the Yervoy/Opdivo treatments and am now 8 months into the monthly double dose of Opdivo.  CatScans show I’m “basically” cancer free with very little side effects.  Right now I am more afraid of the Opdivo / vaccine combo than I am of the virus.  I checked out the links you posted where they recommend getting the vacine but they all have to say “but it’s too soon to know for sure”.   I really respect those of you who have had the vaccine and kept us posted.  Thank you again.  I hope to make up my mind soon.  I see my onc tomorrow.
                                                          JudiAU
                                                          Participant
                                                            Had four combo doses and about a year of single dose. Had a first dose Pfizer Sunday with a sore arm and no other side effects. Not quite as bad as my flu shot this year. Vaccines are still hard to get here and I “mostly” had permission. I lucked into the appointment and had infusion two days later. Had the infusion and no reaction. Still on 2.5 mg corticosteroid. Finally got permission to end it!!!
                                                              Mark 2020
                                                              Participant
                                                                Thank you JudiAU.  Could you keep me posted if your blood work changes.  Mine have been pretty steady throughout this process.  I’m 64 so I should be able to get the vaccine now without too much delay.  My onc recommends getting it halfway between infusions but I don’t think they are very lenient with the appointments.
                                                              JudiAU
                                                              Participant
                                                                I had my second Pfizer shot early Sunday. I definitely had more of a reaction this time. Fever/chills in the middle of the night which turned into a bad dream sequence. I took 500mg of Tylenol the next morning which helped. I was off all day, vague headache/tired/felt hot or cold. I kept taking Tylenol during the day, mostly stayed in bed. Had a much better night of sleep, feel normal this morning. Still taking 1mg steroid which I will end tomorrow. My house looks terrible! Nine year old will start a little in person school next week and I and so grateful to be vaccinated so he will be able to go.
                                                            Viewing 19 reply threads
                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics