The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

covid 19 and us

Forums General Melanoma Community covid 19 and us

Participant
      I would like to think that since many here are getting immune system enhancers it will increase our resistance to the coronavirus.

true? false? comments?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        JudiAU
        Participant
          Well that’s optimistic. I assume I am in the “we are going to die!” camp and that I would be one the dreaded “she had an underlying condition” and “her lungs were compromised.” I like your scenario better. I have three kids at three school and my husband teaches many foreign students so I’d say our risk is high to contract it.
          sandyd77
          Participant
            My husband is stage 4 and was receiving immunotherapy for the past 10 months (nivo). He is soon to start targeted thereapy (TAF and MEK). Last fall I asked his oncologist about receiving a flu shot for him. She said absolutely – that being on immunotherapy does not enhance your immune system to fight against other illnesses such as the flu. I am going to do all I can to keep him away from crowds, etc. and pray for the best for him as well as for all of the melanoma warriors. Good luck to all. Hopefully this too shall pass!
              Sdmotorcop
              Participant
                I’ve been on Nivo since June 2019 (3C). My oncologist told me the same thing. Immunotherapy will not keep you from getting sick. He said a Flu shot was a good idea. I am just getting over a really nasty chest cold That I had for a month (I bought stock in NyQuil). I had not gotten sick in almost 2 years. I chalked that up to taking zinc everyday (I had run out a couple of weeks before I got sick because I was to lazy to pick it up). Needless to say I have a large stockpile of it now..
              tkoss
              Participant
                you all’s comments are very sobering. Since my stage 3c has neither symptoms nor does the nivo have any side effects for me, I live in a state of grace.
                yesterday I went grocery shopping and started doing all those calculations about social distancing.

so i will ask the opposite question: does having melanoma or getting the immo drugs INCREASE risks of covid?

tkoss
                Participant
                  tkoss
                  Participant
                    thanks to your input and to me practicing medicine without a license and absolutely no knowledge or experience of medicine I have declared myself ‘ at risk’ and socially isolate.

no more beer and bbq, no more crawfish boils, no st. patty’s day or cinco de mayo for this fellow until the pandemic runs its course , or I go stir crazy

Casitas1
                    Participant
                      I have been sick multiple times a year since birth(I’m 49) up to and through treatment. Post treatment not so much as a sniffle (3.5 yrs.). I have school age kids and a wife in child care. They’ve brought home all kinds flu ,colds etc. I had a complete response but, still have side effects. Best, Paul
                  Viewing 5 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics