The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Could it be nodular melanoma?

Forums General Melanoma Community Could it be nodular melanoma?

Participant
      Hi, I’m writing for my husband – 55 years old, fair complexion, green eyes, history of sunburn in the childhood. No melanoma in his family, no smoker.

He had his moles recently checked with digital dermoscopy and the dermatologist said he has a hard to touch, papular, erythematous mole in his back that has to be surgically removed because it’s atypical and it has changed since his last examination (about 2 years ago: that mole was already there). It is dark pink, round, elevated and has a regular shape. It’s sometimes itchy (for ex. When sweating).

I am awfully scared because it seems me a nodular melanoma (I’m not a doctor, I’ve read on Internet about it).

I know we have to wait for the results of the hystological examination, but I wonder why the dermatologist didn’t say or write a word about any possible diagnosis of that mole. I thought dermoscopy could be helpful in distinguishing nodular melanoma from other skin lesions.

My husband had acute leukemia 9 months after our wedding, he won the battle against it, my dad died of two primary cancers and now, such a nightmare again?

You see I really need your help. Thank you.

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          Hi Rosie,

I am so sorry for what you and your husband have already endured and the stress you are currently dealing with.  Many, many, many different types of nodular lesions can form on the skin.   Could it be melanoma?  Of course.  However, there is really nothing you can do until the pathology report returns.  Melanoma can look many different ways.  Guessing won’t help. The only way to get a definitive answer is to attain the pathology report.

I hope that the lesion is something benign and now that it has been removed you can move forward easily.  However, it is important to recognize that the world of melanoma treatment has completely changed since 2011.  Melanoma is no longer the death sentence it once was.  And while I really do not wish that diagnosis upon you and your husband, I have been LIVING with melanoma since 2003.  Even after lung and brain mets that developed in 2010 BEFORE current treatments were available, I am still here, thanks to finally getting access to immunotherapy.

So, hang in there.  Will keep fingers crossed for a benign lesion.  Know that there is hope even if the diagnosis of melanoma is made.  Ask more questions as you have the need.  I wish you my best.  Celeste

Rosie
          Participant
            Hi Celeste, first of all I’m happy you are doing fine!

Thank you for you kind and wise words. Being by my side, you’re helping me a lot. I’ll keep you informed.

Bye for now,

Hugs, Rosie

Rosie
            Participant
              Hello,

my husband has just had the pathology report. It says it was an intradermal melanocytic mole, nothing to be scared of. No further investigations needed, only the usual annual check.

My fear was caused by the fact the dermatologist told about an “atypical mole”, so I thought she had seen something strange during the mole check.

But she asked the pathologist about a “suspected” atypical mole. A single word can make a huge difference…

I thank you from the bottom of my heart, Celeste, for your encouraging words. They mean so much to me.

All the best,

Rosie & husband Mark

Bubbles
              Participant
                So glad for the good news!  Enjoy your holidays. c
                  RhondaF
                  Participant
                    Rosie,  So happy for your report! Have a blessed Christmas!

Rhonda

Rosie
                  Participant
                    Thanks Celeste and Rhonda, happy holidays to you too, R. & M.
                Viewing 4 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics