The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

costs of drugs and denial of treatment and QALY for those in the know

Forums General Melanoma Community costs of drugs and denial of treatment and QALY for those in the know

Participant
      no one has told me how much a shot of Opvido costs, nor has anyone ever told me that there is a chance that my insurer might simply decided one day they aren’t paying anymore. I found a number $6000/dose or for me $156,000 for a regime. but is that list price and how much does my insurer actually pay? I don’t know.

I have an ACA policy with $1000 OOP but I haven’ t read the fine print so who knows. I am blithefully ignoring the issue.

with that in mind read this:

https://www.salon.com/2020/02/01/is-the-medication-youre-taking-worth-its-price_partner/#

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        JudiAU
        Participant
          Please do not start therapy without investigating the cost. OOP means nothing if the drugs aren’t covered or they determine it should have been a different dosing or in a different office or you were the wrong stage to qualify or you needed 6 but you had seven. I see $75000 payment all the time.

I personally think a lot of expensive end of life treatment is unnecessary and wasteful.

JudiAU
            Participant
              Sorry I think I was unclear. I was not suggesting that immunotherapy etc is wasteful and unnecessary or really anything someone chooses for themself. I’ve had upwards of $2m in the last three years. I meant that I view some end of life treatments will be unnecessary and wasteful for me.
            maryb-z
            Participant
              Opdivo costs me about $44,000 per month and I’ll be on it 2 years as long as no recurrence or ife threatening side effects. Since I quickly met my deductible it has been covered by my health Iinsurance through my employer. I’ve been NED 17 months. Grateful for any and all extra quality I get.
              RichInLife2
              Participant
                When I was on Opdivo, the charges that I saw was $70K per treatment including drug, hospital services and labs. Most of the cost was the drug, but I was never billed a penny for that, although I did have to kick in my portion for the services and labs. You should check with your insurer, but I’d be suprised if the hospital hasn’t already gotten the approval themselves.
                tkoss
                Participant
                  ” QALY have been used for years by governments around the world to help determine what treatments citizens can obtain under public health care. In America’s free-market health care system, however, QALY calculations have largely been avoided. As McNary and others like her are finding out, that’s starting to change.

In the United States, however, QALY-based assessments have not gained traction until recently.
                  In fact, QALY-based cost-effectiveness reviews are so controversial that the federal government has repeatedly quashed their use. In 1992, the Department of Health and Human Services rejected Oregon’s attempt to use QALY-based cost-effectiveness assessments to determine what services its Medicaid program would cover. In 2010, as part of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, Congress prohibited the use of QALYs by the Medicare program. It also banned the federal Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute from using QALY thresholds in its assessments of comparative treatments.
                  As you know this Administration is doing everything it can to modify Medicaid and Medicare and cancel out the ACA.

Traditionally, however, private insurers have generally not used QALYs explicitly in their decisions about what tests and treatments they will pay for, according to a recent report by the National Council on Disability. Instead, when major U.S. insurers decide to limit access to a given medication, they usually cite insufficient data to justify its use in a given situation.

Indeed, until recently, U.S. insurers did not have a source for QALY-based cost-effectiveness reports. That began to change in 2014, when the Institute for Clinical and Economic Review, a nonprofit research organization based in Boston, turned its attention to high-cost drugs.

—————
                  my point, QALY may come into our lives and soon. Therapies could be threatened. it begs the question, does my $6000 dose really cost Bristol Squibb $5500 to make or $35 to make and the rest is just markup? It will matter in a QALY world.

Tsvetochka
                    Participant
                      “does my $6000 dose really cost Bristol Squibb $5500 to make or $35 to make and the rest is just markup?” This is a rabbit trail from the main post, but it’s something I’ve been really curious about. I dream of a Robin Hood type figure who would steal those drug recipes and make them for poor people. 🙂
                      tkoss
                      Participant
                        Not to be too depressing , but I think drug co’s are doing the opposite. they are raising generic drug prices for the simple reason is that they can, and they have no conscience about it. remember Purdue and the Sackler’s?
                        https://www.vox.com/2019/4/3/18293950/why-is-insulin-so-expensive
                        Tsvetochka
                        Participant
                          Right. So the drug companies are the rich bad guys, and we need Robin Hood to steal from them and help us poor people!

Really, how much can it cost to make a dose of Keytruda? Or is the first step of the recipe really “melt down the diamonds…”?

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics