The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Core Needle Biopsy – Question

Forums General Melanoma Community Core Needle Biopsy – Question

Participant
      I have a core needle biopsy tomorrow for highly suspicious lymph node near scar identified on ultrasound. I was originally 1a in 2018 with atypical spitzoid tumor. Do I push for a full dissection instead of the needle biopsy to avoid the very small but real possibility of “needle spread” or is there no choice here? I just want to make sure I am doing all I can and my derm just left Hopkins and I cannot reach the new doctor and biopsy is tomorrow. This forum seems to know firsthand the best route so please respond with any thoughts. My husband and I feel like we are flying blind.
    Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        mmbraddock
        Participant
          Hi,
          It is a scary thing to even think about. Hopefully, it is not Melanoma but IF it is the biopsy will help identify possible treatment options. I was 1b in 2016 on my thigh. Swollen lymphnode in groin in 1/22 biopsy confirmed melanoma. If you contain a BRAF mutation your treatment might include targeted therapy. There is research indicating targeted therapy prior to node dissection increases chances of overall survival. I started targeted therapy in Jan and had my lymphnode dissection in August after the lymphode had considerable shrinkage. Hope tomorrow goes well and you get speedy results. Will be thinking of you.
      Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics