The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Coping with guilt

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Coping with guilt

Participant

I am looking for some help, and in reading many of the forum posts, I am hoping to find it here.

I am 38yo woman, very fair skinned. I used tanning beds substantially in my late teens and early 20s. In the last 3 years, I have had 3 mid-to-severe atypical moles identified. Two were removed. The last one will be removed in the coming weeks, which I'm told will require a 2 week rehab on crutches. I have two young daughers, ages 4 and 6, and have been told I am high risk for melanoma.

I absolutely cannot shake the guilt that I have brought this risk on myself and my children. My father died in a car accident when I was 10, and it took me well into my adulthood to recover. I am riddled with fear of putting my own children through the same thing, by my own bad choices several decades ago.

How do I learn to cope with this for the rest of my life? Any advice and wisdom is welcome.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        stevenallenschwartz
        Participant

Hopefully you were unaware of the damage you were doing when you solicited tanning salons. That being said, guilt is a useless feeling; learn from the past and move on. 

Firepoppi
            Participant

I was aware of it in the abstract – i.e., knew it was harmful, but thought it wouldn't "be a big deal" or happen to me. Once I caught the gravity of my consequences in my late 20s, I stopped immediately and did a total 180 in my approach to UV exposure.

Any specific tips for moving past the guilt?

Marksa2570
            Participant

Some on here have melanoma despite limited sun exposure but many of us led similar lives to one extent or another.    What's done is done… you can't change the past.    All you can do is be diligent in your body scans and be strong for your daughters.     Living with grief/guilt/worry probably isn't great for your immune system.   I occasionally get mad at myself for the stupid stuff I did in my 20's but I am also beyond grateful I caught mine as a Stage I.   The gratitude is what I hold onto and it feels a lot better.    Be strong and smart for those around you and teach your daughters to be sun-smart so they don't have to deal with this      

Janner
              Participant

Your risk is a relative risk.  Having had a history of tanning beds and a few atypical nevi increases your risk.  But it isn't "cummulative".  Each risk is relative and in the statistics world, doesn't just "add up" and mean you will get melanoma. 

Think of it this way, you know how to be sun smart now, you know how to raise your children to be sun smart.  You know to see a dermatologist.  Honestly, that's a huge leg up on a vast majority of the population.  Every month, you do a quick skin check and watch your moles for change.  If, for some reason, you notice some, you have a biopsy.  That's it.  It doesn't mean you will ever get melanoma if you are vigilant (but the key is NOT obsessive).  And if you possibly do end up with melanoma, you'll catch it early where survival rates are extremely high.  I have had 3 melanomas, all caught at stage 1 or 0.  The first one was 25 years ago.  Think of all the life wasted if I would have spent all those years feeling guilty about those stupid burns I got before I knew better, and even the summer I did the occasional tanning bed when I worked at a gym.  It isn't worth it.  You've already let melanoma mentally beat you and you've never even been diagnosed.  Perspective is needed!

SoCalDave
                  Participant

I was going to add but Janner you've said it all – perfect.

David

Jamie1960
                    Participant

Good counsel indeed.

For some of us, the reckoning comes later in life, often past the point when we can pass the lessons on to our own children.

Given the gift of knowledge, it is incumbent on all of us to share what we know.

No one told me, and I wish they had, particularly in school; they told us to brush morning, noon, and night; to eat apples; to not run with scissors; to not swim for 30 minutes after eating.

I don't remember anyone ever mentioning sunscreen. 

So here we are; beautiful teeth, 20/20 vision, and that other thing, which no one thought mattered. A possible curse for ourselves, but an irreplaceable blessing for those who will listen.

geriakt
                    Participant

Here is the good news as now you know you are at high risk you can go to the dermo every 6 months for exams and get your odd looking moles removed before they even get to stage 2. You can keep it at bay. 

Tom 

raun cesar
                      Participant

All you have to do is being determined throughout the treatment. Prepare your daughters for the sun Good Luck!!

kylez
                        Participant

You might want to look for a psycho-onlogy practice. They're going to be more attuned to cancer-related issues than most normal therapists. For example, http://cancer.ucsf.edu/support/psycho-oncology/ I think some of what you describe (worrying about your children) is something they have worked with other patients about. It sounds like it would be worth pursuing.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics