The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Concerns with side effects with yervoy

Forums General Melanoma Community Concerns with side effects with yervoy

Participant
      I had my second infussion of Yervoy Dec 29. I started having stomach problems and diarrhea on Mon. Dec 26. It has gotten a lot worse since treatment. Onc told me to take Imodiam to help. It has helped some but every time I eat ( I’m trying to eat right) it goes right through. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do that helped?

Thanks,

Nancy

I had my second infussion of Yervoy Dec 29. I started having stomach problems and diarrhea on Mon. Dec 26. It has gotten a lot worse since treatment. Onc told me to take Imodiam to help. It has helped some but every time I eat ( I’m trying to eat right) it goes right through. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do that helped?

Thanks,

Nancy

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        jim Breitfeller
        Participant

Nancy,

Ipilimumab injection may cause severe or life-threatening side effects. This includes inflammation of the intestine, which may cause tears in its walls; inflammation of the liver, which may cause severe liver damage; inflammation of the skin, which may cause a serious skin reaction; inflammation of the nerves, which may cause paralysis (loss of ability to move all or part of the body); inflammation of certain glands, which may affect how the glands work; or inflammation of the eyes. You may develop these symptoms during your treatment or during the first few weeks or months after you finish your treatment. If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately: diarrhea or frequent bowel movements; bloody or black, tarry, sticky stools; stomach pain or tenderness; yellowing of the skin or eyes; dark (tea-colored) urine; pain in the upper right part of the stomach; nausea or vomiting; easy bruising or bleeding; skin rash that may or may not be itchy; blistering or peeling skin; sores in the mouth; unusual weakness of the legs, arms, or face; numbness or tingling in the hands or feet; headaches that are unusual or that don't go away; sluggishness; feeling cold all the time; weight gain; decreased sex drive; irritability; forgetfulness; dizziness; changes in mood or behavior; fainting; blurred vision; double vision; other vision problems; or eye pain or redness. Call your doctor even if you feel that the symptoms you are experiencing are mild and do not try to treat your symptoms yourself. You may be able to prevent these side effects from becoming serious or life-threatening if you get treatment right away.

May be the onset of Colitis:

Nancy, you may want to look into steriods.

Colitis: Inflammation of the large intestine (the colon). There are many forms of colitis, including ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, infectious, pseudomembranous, and spastic. For example, intermittent rectal bleeding, crampy abdominal pain and diarrhea can be symptoms of ulcerative colitis. Diagnosis can be made by barium enema, but direct visualization (sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy) is the most accurate test. Long-standing ulcerative colitis increases the risk for colon cancer. Ulcerative colitis can also be associated with inflammation in joints, spine, skin, eyes, the liver and its bile ducts. Treatment of ulcerative colitis can involve medications and surgery.

best regards,

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
          Participant

Nancy,

Ipilimumab injection may cause severe or life-threatening side effects. This includes inflammation of the intestine, which may cause tears in its walls; inflammation of the liver, which may cause severe liver damage; inflammation of the skin, which may cause a serious skin reaction; inflammation of the nerves, which may cause paralysis (loss of ability to move all or part of the body); inflammation of certain glands, which may affect how the glands work; or inflammation of the eyes. You may develop these symptoms during your treatment or during the first few weeks or months after you finish your treatment. If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately: diarrhea or frequent bowel movements; bloody or black, tarry, sticky stools; stomach pain or tenderness; yellowing of the skin or eyes; dark (tea-colored) urine; pain in the upper right part of the stomach; nausea or vomiting; easy bruising or bleeding; skin rash that may or may not be itchy; blistering or peeling skin; sores in the mouth; unusual weakness of the legs, arms, or face; numbness or tingling in the hands or feet; headaches that are unusual or that don't go away; sluggishness; feeling cold all the time; weight gain; decreased sex drive; irritability; forgetfulness; dizziness; changes in mood or behavior; fainting; blurred vision; double vision; other vision problems; or eye pain or redness. Call your doctor even if you feel that the symptoms you are experiencing are mild and do not try to treat your symptoms yourself. You may be able to prevent these side effects from becoming serious or life-threatening if you get treatment right away.

Colitis: Inflammation of the large intestine (the colon). There are many forms of colitis, including ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, infectious, pseudomembranous, and spastic. For example, intermittent rectal bleeding, crampy abdominal pain and diarrhea can be symptoms of ulcerative colitis. Diagnosis can be made by barium enema, but direct visualization (sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy) is the most accurate test. Long-standing ulcerative colitis increases the risk for colon cancer. Ulcerative colitis can also be associated with inflammation in joints, spine, skin, eyes, the liver and its bile ducts. Treatment of ulcerative colitis can involve medications and surgery.

best regards,

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
            Participant

Nancy,

best regards,

Jimmy B

kylez
              Participant

My oncologist read me the riot act on any colitis-like symptoms before I got my first IPI dose — he said if I saw anything like you're seeing, to contact him immediately! And *not* so he could tell me to take Immodium or any other off the shelf anti-diahhrea remedy. Rather, so he could put me on steriods immediately.

Bristol Meyer Squibb who make IPI are with me and my oncologist (and any responsible oncologist) on this: 

YERVOY (ipilimumab) can result in severe or fatal inflammation of the gastrointestinal
                tract (with potential risk of bowel perforation) most commonly manifested as diarrhea
                or colitis
                • Advise patients to immediately report changes in bowel movements
                • Monitor patients for gastrointestinal signs and symptoms
                • Withhold YERVOY treatment for moderate immune-mediated adverse reactions until
                improvement to mild severity or complete resolution
                • Permanently discontinue YERVOY for any of the following
                – Severe or life-threatening enterocolitis
                – Inability to reduce corticosteroid dose to 7.5 mg prednisone or equivalent per day
                – Failure to complete full treatment course within 16 weeks from administration of first dose
                • Corticosteroid therapy may be required

(from the Yervoy "Immune-mediated Adverse Reaction Management Guide").

What you were told (take Immodium) sounds *ignorant* and *completely irresponsible* to me. Your colon, and therefore you, are quite possibly in grave danger. And you should be able to tell what I think of your oncologist.

Could any real oncologist really tell a patient on IPI to 'take Immodium'?

kylez
                  Participant

I'm *not* a doctor so I should back off, as I'm not an expert, just someone who was read the riot act by their onc before starting IPI.

So……. I'd like to retract my first post (if possible) and it's place the information that follows, that I found after googling "Yervoy" and "Immodium":

http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/appointment-oncologist-today:
                    1) "He also said that he talked to a doctor at Bristol Meyer Squibb who said that imodium-d is the first line medicine in response to diahrrea. If after 8 doses of imodium the diahrrea does not go away, then endocort would be prescribed immediately to avert colitis."
                    2) "It's good to hear that the doctor told you just 8 doses of Immodium.  Dr. Wolchuk says 2 or 3, it's just good that doctors know to tell people not to live on immodium throughout their treatment!"

So several of my comments were *wrong*. I was incorrect that Immodium should never be used. Rather, it appears that it is used initially, but only in a very limited fashion.

http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/yervoy-diarrhea-weight-loss:

1) "He was put on steroids for the diarrhea, and takes Imodium twice a day, and still has 4-6 episodes of diarrhea per day, but his appetite has returned."

2) "Look up posts from Karen from NY.  Her Dr put her on a special steroid that only works in the gut. She has posted that she was told no immodium."

3) "He had it about 7 to 8 times a day just like you and he was put on a steriod to help it.  He actually got Colitis from the Yervoy so they had to stop his treatments for a few weeks but then started right up after the diarrhea got under control.  They told him not to take immodium b/c of the Colitis."

4) "When I went through the same thing, I was given Endocort EC (available in generic, which works just as well) 25mg, 3 capsules in the a.m. with water.  Within a day, it was down to 1 movement every day or even every 2 days.  This is very important and must be addressed.  I know Dr. Wolchuk said no immodium after the first 1 or 2 movements"

4a) "Dr. Wolchuk is @ Sloan & he's one of the researchers/developers of Yervoy.    When I told him that some people on the boards were using immodium, he said that clearly their doctors weren't reading all of the prescribing literature.  He's over in Australia right now…Yervoy was just approved there and he's helping to train docs/hospitals on its use."

From another post, http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/having-bad-week-yervoy-side-effects:

1) "I'm also on Yervoy and my Dr. was very specific in terms of bowel movements. If I had more than 2 a day, I had to take the steroids he perscribed me. He said that if it was mild and only 1 a day, immodium would be sufficient. He had 1 patient die in his trial, so he's VERY cautious when it comes to any symptoms whatsoever."

My apologies for jumping the gun on that and speaking without as much knowledge as I thought I had.

– Kyle

kylez
                    Participant

I'm *not* a doctor so I should back off, as I'm not an expert, just someone who was read the riot act by their onc before starting IPI.

So……. I'd like to retract my first post (if possible) and it's place the information that follows, that I found after googling "Yervoy" and "Immodium":

http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/appointment-oncologist-today:
                      1) "He also said that he talked to a doctor at Bristol Meyer Squibb who said that imodium-d is the first line medicine in response to diahrrea. If after 8 doses of imodium the diahrrea does not go away, then endocort would be prescribed immediately to avert colitis."
                      2) "It's good to hear that the doctor told you just 8 doses of Immodium.  Dr. Wolchuk says 2 or 3, it's just good that doctors know to tell people not to live on immodium throughout their treatment!"

So several of my comments were *wrong*. I was incorrect that Immodium should never be used. Rather, it appears that it is used initially, but only in a very limited fashion.

http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/yervoy-diarrhea-weight-loss:

1) "He was put on steroids for the diarrhea, and takes Imodium twice a day, and still has 4-6 episodes of diarrhea per day, but his appetite has returned."

2) "Look up posts from Karen from NY.  Her Dr put her on a special steroid that only works in the gut. She has posted that she was told no immodium."

3) "He had it about 7 to 8 times a day just like you and he was put on a steriod to help it.  He actually got Colitis from the Yervoy so they had to stop his treatments for a few weeks but then started right up after the diarrhea got under control.  They told him not to take immodium b/c of the Colitis."

4) "When I went through the same thing, I was given Endocort EC (available in generic, which works just as well) 25mg, 3 capsules in the a.m. with water.  Within a day, it was down to 1 movement every day or even every 2 days.  This is very important and must be addressed.  I know Dr. Wolchuk said no immodium after the first 1 or 2 movements"

4a) "Dr. Wolchuk is @ Sloan & he's one of the researchers/developers of Yervoy.    When I told him that some people on the boards were using immodium, he said that clearly their doctors weren't reading all of the prescribing literature.  He's over in Australia right now…Yervoy was just approved there and he's helping to train docs/hospitals on its use."

From another post, http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/having-bad-week-yervoy-side-effects:

1) "I'm also on Yervoy and my Dr. was very specific in terms of bowel movements. If I had more than 2 a day, I had to take the steroids he perscribed me. He said that if it was mild and only 1 a day, immodium would be sufficient. He had 1 patient die in his trial, so he's VERY cautious when it comes to any symptoms whatsoever."

My apologies for jumping the gun on that and speaking without as much knowledge as I thought I had.

– Kyle

kylez
                      Participant

– Kyle

NYKaren
                        Participant

Ha Ha, I'm laughing that my posts about diarrhea show up on a Google search, but of course Colitis is no laughing matter.

Endocort EC is a miracle drug–you take 3 capsules once a day in the am with a little food, and you're good to go.  I can't stress enough how adamant Dr. W. is about that, and hopefully, as more and more doctors READ the very explicit instructions they receive, they will be prescribing it too.  I think it's three, 3 mg. capsules, but you must check.  I posted 25mg above, and that was definately an error.  I think the 25mg referred to Atarax, the itch med. i was taking.

BTW, the generic is Budesonide (bold not mine–I cut & pasted from internet–now I can't get it off)

I just checked for side effects, I had none listed, but if I did have the itching, I never would have known because I itched so much from the Ipi.  

Hope this helps.

Happy New Year.

karen

NYKaren
                          Participant

Ha Ha, I'm laughing that my posts about diarrhea show up on a Google search, but of course Colitis is no laughing matter.

Endocort EC is a miracle drug–you take 3 capsules once a day in the am with a little food, and you're good to go.  I can't stress enough how adamant Dr. W. is about that, and hopefully, as more and more doctors READ the very explicit instructions they receive, they will be prescribing it too.  I think it's three, 3 mg. capsules, but you must check.  I posted 25mg above, and that was definately an error.  I think the 25mg referred to Atarax, the itch med. i was taking.

BTW, the generic is Budesonide (bold not mine–I cut & pasted from internet–now I can't get it off)

I just checked for side effects, I had none listed, but if I did have the itching, I never would have known because I itched so much from the Ipi.  

Hope this helps.

Happy New Year.

karen

NYKaren
                            Participant

Hope this helps.

Happy New Year.

karen

NYKaren
                              Participant

forgot to add, since it's a steroid that only works in the gut, it is not systemic and you don't have to interrupt your Yervoy dosing.

NYKaren
                                Participant

forgot to add, since it's a steroid that only works in the gut, it is not systemic and you don't have to interrupt your Yervoy dosing.

NYKaren
                                  Participant

kylez
                                  Participant

My oncologist read me the riot act on any colitis-like symptoms before I got my first IPI dose — he said if I saw anything like you're seeing, to contact him immediately! And *not* so he could tell me to take Immodium or any other off the shelf anti-diahhrea remedy. Rather, so he could put me on steriods immediately.

Bristol Meyer Squibb who make IPI are with me and my oncologist (and any responsible oncologist) on this: 

YERVOY (ipilimumab) can result in severe or fatal inflammation of the gastrointestinal
                                    tract (with potential risk of bowel perforation) most commonly manifested as diarrhea
                                    or colitis
                                    • Withhold YERVOY treatment for moderate immune-mediated adverse reactions until
                                    – Inability to reduce corticosteroid dose to 7.5 mg prednisone or equivalent per day
                                    – Failure to complete full treatment course within 16 weeks from administration of first dose

What you were told (take Immodium) sounds *ignorant* and *completely irresponsible* to me. Your colon, and therefore you, are quite possibly in grave danger. And you should be able to tell what I think of your oncologist.

kylez
                                    Participant

or colitis

Roxy1453
                                      Participant
                                        My diarrhea went from just diarrhea to having blood in it. I have been in close contact with my dr and went to local ER Sunday and had blood work done. Everything checked out find and I went home. It got worse over night so we come to the ER in Iowa City. Which is where my Dr. Is. You can’t get much done on a holiday! I’m still here, checked in. I’m waiting for a scope that isn’t going to happen until the afternoon! They’re keeping me so they can watch me to make sure nothing happens before then. I’m sure I will probably end up on steroids.

Thanks to everyone for their concern, I think we might get everything under control.

Nancy

Roxy1453
                                        Participant
                                          My diarrhea went from just diarrhea to having blood in it. I have been in close contact with my dr and went to local ER Sunday and had blood work done. Everything checked out find and I went home. It got worse over night so we come to the ER in Iowa City. Which is where my Dr. Is. You can’t get much done on a holiday! I’m still here, checked in. I’m waiting for a scope that isn’t going to happen until the afternoon! They’re keeping me so they can watch me to make sure nothing happens before then. I’m sure I will probably end up on steroids.

Thanks to everyone for their concern, I think we might get everything under control.

Nancy

Roxy1453
                                          Participant

Nancy

Roxy1453
                                              Participant
                                                I started Budenaside steroids today and I get to go home! Hope to feel better soon!
                                                Roxy1453
                                                Participant
                                                  I started Budenaside steroids today and I get to go home! Hope to feel better soon!
                                                  Roxy1453
                                                  Participant
                                                    NYKaren
                                                    Participant

Hurray, I'm so glad, Nancy.  As I recall, it worked pretty quickly for me, but I didn't have it as bad as you.

Feel better SOON.

all the best,

Karen

NYKaren
                                                      Participant

Hurray, I'm so glad, Nancy.  As I recall, it worked pretty quickly for me, but I didn't have it as bad as you.

Feel better SOON.

all the best,

Karen

kylez
                                                        Participant

What Karen said, Nancy, feel better soon.

kylez
                                                          Participant

kylez
                                                            Participant

NYKaren
                                                              Participant

Feel better SOON.

all the best,

Karen

Roxy1453
                                                              Participant

Nancy

Roxy1453
                                                                Participant

Nancy

Roxy1453
                                                                  Participant

Nancy

Lisa13
                                                                      Participant

I just started entocort today – but I took it at 6pm and not the morning.   It says to take it in the morning, so will this be a problem? 

I'd love to have a scope done to ensure exactly what I have.

Roxy1453
                                                                        Participant
                                                                          The nusre said it might make me jittery so they waited till morning. But because it just goes to the gut it doesn’t bother me. I wish I would have started the night before so it could start working! This morning I took the second round of steroids and they made me throw up. So now i’m on prozac and also one I take a half hour before I take the steroids. So far I haven’t seen much change in my diarrhea.

I’m not Dr so I can’t say for sure. You should check with your Dr. Good luck! I hope it works for you!

Nancy

Roxy1453
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            The nusre said it might make me jittery so they waited till morning. But because it just goes to the gut it doesn’t bother me. I wish I would have started the night before so it could start working! This morning I took the second round of steroids and they made me throw up. So now i’m on prozac and also one I take a half hour before I take the steroids. So far I haven’t seen much change in my diarrhea.

I’m not Dr so I can’t say for sure. You should check with your Dr. Good luck! I hope it works for you!

Nancy

Roxy1453
                                                                            Participant

Nancy

Lisa13
                                                                              Participant

I just started entocort today – but I took it at 6pm and not the morning.   It says to take it in the morning, so will this be a problem? 

Lisa13
                                                                                Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics