The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Combo.. IPI/Nivo.. Side effects?

Forums General Melanoma Community Combo.. IPI/Nivo.. Side effects?

Participant

Hello

So my mom went to UCSF yesterday and based on what they described as a "super" low T cell count they were recommending combo. She was all set to continue with the Nivo/Epacadostat trial. We did not have much time to decide but decided to go with trail. However she woke up this morning stressed and wondering if she should do the combo. Big fear about the combo is side effects… She is 71 and in Ok health.. currently not very symptomatic. These decisions are rough. The trial is more involved in terms of time..

Anyway just looking for feedback on the combo and side effects. Have read some of other posts here.. as you know somtimes more information just feels better and looking for that AHA moment..

Thanks so much!!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

Looking and hearing about side effects can get overwhelming and scary. Best thing to remember is everyone reacts to drugs differently. Some get minor side effects, some get major ones. There is just no telling which boat you'll be in until you jump in. Ipi is really the part of the combo that gives most people problems. I am doing Ipi alone at a higher dosage than what stage 4 get… because that's what researchers decided was best for stage 3. I have had very minor side effects from Ipi: fatigue, mildly itchy skin, joint inflammation, ringing in ears due to inflammation, acid reflux. All easy to deal with stuff. 

Others will tell you their experiences and you'll see how much it varies. The combo is wonderful and has done many great things for people. The trial would have its own list of side effects as well, and it's the same idea, you'd have no clue how her body will react to it until she tries it. With any treatment, she would need to keep her doctor in the loop about any side effects, anything that comes up can be treated quickly. I also go to UCSF for treatment, the oncs there are very knowledgable about all of the possible side effects and how to treat them, so don't be too afraid about all the possibilities. Just look forward to your mom getting well.

All the best,

jade1111
            Participant

Thanks so much for your thoughtful and insightful reply. I read it to my mom and it helped! Very good perpective! I did not know that they recommended higher dosage of IPI at stage 3. Interesting. All the best to you! Sounds like your heading in the right direction.. And yes they are super smart at UCSF :0)

Thanks again!!!

jade1111
              Participant

Thanks so much for your thoughtful and insightful reply. I read it to my mom and it helped! Very good perpective! I did not know that they recommended higher dosage of IPI at stage 3. Interesting. All the best to you! Sounds like your heading in the right direction.. And yes they are super smart at UCSF :0)

Thanks again!!!

jade1111
                Participant

Thanks again!!!

jennunicorn
                Participant

Looking and hearing about side effects can get overwhelming and scary. Best thing to remember is everyone reacts to drugs differently. Some get minor side effects, some get major ones. There is just no telling which boat you'll be in until you jump in. Ipi is really the part of the combo that gives most people problems. I am doing Ipi alone at a higher dosage than what stage 4 get… because that's what researchers decided was best for stage 3. I have had very minor side effects from Ipi: fatigue, mildly itchy skin, joint inflammation, ringing in ears due to inflammation, acid reflux. All easy to deal with stuff. 

Others will tell you their experiences and you'll see how much it varies. The combo is wonderful and has done many great things for people. The trial would have its own list of side effects as well, and it's the same idea, you'd have no clue how her body will react to it until she tries it. With any treatment, she would need to keep her doctor in the loop about any side effects, anything that comes up can be treated quickly. I also go to UCSF for treatment, the oncs there are very knowledgable about all of the possible side effects and how to treat them, so don't be too afraid about all the possibilities. Just look forward to your mom getting well.

All the best,

jennunicorn
                  Participant

All the best,

Gene_S
                    Participant

As was previously stated each person has different side effects to each drug.  My husband was Stage IV and was on Ipi alone at 10 mg/kg and GMCSF.  He was not on the same combo as your mother was offered.  He took the initial 4 treatments in 12 weeks and then maintenance doses every 12 weeks for an additional 2.5 years.  He had very small side effects and if you would like to read more check out his profile.  He has been NED (no evidence of disease for over 3.5 years now.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED)

jade1111
                        Participant

Thanks for the information Judy. So glad the IPI was a success for Glen and with limited side effects! I think its the idea of two medications versus 1 that has her so worried about side effects.She is gearing up to start treatment soon!! 

jade1111
                          Participant

Thanks for the information Judy. So glad the IPI was a success for Glen and with limited side effects! I think its the idea of two medications versus 1 that has her so worried about side effects.She is gearing up to start treatment soon!! 

jade1111
                            Participant

Gene_S
                            Participant

As was previously stated each person has different side effects to each drug.  My husband was Stage IV and was on Ipi alone at 10 mg/kg and GMCSF.  He was not on the same combo as your mother was offered.  He took the initial 4 treatments in 12 weeks and then maintenance doses every 12 weeks for an additional 2.5 years.  He had very small side effects and if you would like to read more check out his profile.  He has been NED (no evidence of disease for over 3.5 years now.

Gene_S
                              Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics