The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

COBRA advice

Forums General Melanoma Community COBRA advice

• Replies
      Erinmay22
      Participant

OK – so I realized that I typed things but nothing actually posted?

I have been toying wtih the idea for a year + now of taking a job change.  While doing this, I'll have to go on COBRA.  Has anyone had any issues with starting up COBRA and their doctors taking it?  I had to use it in the past….  and did talk with my doctors office about it.  For them, sounds like no real change.  Only down side I know is the cost, but I'm more than willing to pay that for the coverage.

With Obamacare and such here now, has anyone found that a better option?  What I've been reading so far shows that it's best (if you have a pre-exisiting condition) to go ahead and stay wtih COBRA since you know exactly what coverage you're getting…

Just wanted to hear thoughts from others?  Again, sorry for the blank post!  

jmmm
          Participant

My husband was on cobra for almost 2 years.  For him, it was the exact same insurance.  Same company, same coverage.  The only difference is you pay the entire premium instead of your company paying for part of it.  It sounds like a big deal, like you're changing insurance, but you're not.  I would imagine keeping what you already have is less expensive than trying to find something new with a pre-existing condition, but you still might double check.

jmmm
            Participant

My husband was on cobra for almost 2 years.  For him, it was the exact same insurance.  Same company, same coverage.  The only difference is you pay the entire premium instead of your company paying for part of it.  It sounds like a big deal, like you're changing insurance, but you're not.  I would imagine keeping what you already have is less expensive than trying to find something new with a pre-existing condition, but you still might double check.

jmmm
              Participant

casagrayson
                Participant

My DIL just went through this.   She was changing jobs, and her insurance didn't kick in for 60 days. COBRA was ridiculously expensive, and so was being put on my son's insurance for that period of time.  They bought a catastrophic coverage short-term policy which cost them very little.  It does not comply with the ACA, but no penalties apply as long as you become covered with a better policy (the group policy from the new job) within 90 days.   Pre-existing conditions won't keep you from being denied private insurance, although it might change the price.  One other thing you might check — some companies keep you on their insurance rolls through the end of your resignation month.  If that is the case, you might need coverage for less time than you think.

Good luck!

casagrayson
                  Participant

My DIL just went through this.   She was changing jobs, and her insurance didn't kick in for 60 days. COBRA was ridiculously expensive, and so was being put on my son's insurance for that period of time.  They bought a catastrophic coverage short-term policy which cost them very little.  It does not comply with the ACA, but no penalties apply as long as you become covered with a better policy (the group policy from the new job) within 90 days.   Pre-existing conditions won't keep you from being denied private insurance, although it might change the price.  One other thing you might check — some companies keep you on their insurance rolls through the end of your resignation month.  If that is the case, you might need coverage for less time than you think.

Good luck!

casagrayson
                    Participant

Good luck!

Erinmay22
                    Participant

I have been toying wtih the idea for a year + now of taking a job change.  While doing this, I'll have to go on COBRA.  Has anyone had any issues with starting up COBRA and their doctors taking it?  I had to use it in the past….  and did talk with my doctors office about it.  For them, sounds like no real change.  Only down side I know is the cost, but I'm more than willing to pay that for the coverage.

With Obamacare and such here now, has anyone found that a better option?  What I've been reading so far shows that it's best (if you have a pre-exisiting condition) to go ahead and stay wtih COBRA since you know exactly what coverage you're getting…

Erinmay22
                      Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics