The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

CNLD Neck Recovery and Next Steps

Forums General Melanoma Community CNLD Neck Recovery and Next Steps

Participant

I am stage IIIa.  I was diagnosed in January 2016 with a 1.5mm melamona on my left ear, no ulceration, 4/sq mm mitotic rate.  I had surgery March 22, 2016 to excise the melamona and complete a SLNB.  2 of the 7 nodes were positive for micrometastatsis melanoma.   I then had a paratidectomy and CNLD on the left side of my neck.  All 54 lymph nodes were negative.  Recent CT scans and Pet Scans were negative.  

Since the CNLD in May,  I still cannot raise my left arm above 90 degrees to the side.  I'm doing daily stretching and exercises but haven't seen a lot of progress.   In addition, my smiile is lobsided as my left lower lip is impaired.  However, this seems to be getting better.

Does anyone have advice for these symptoms? 

My surgeon said the nerves were spared during surgery but were stretched and this weakness in normal.  However he didn't give me a recovery time.

As for next steps, I'm waiting to hear whether I'm eligible for a clinical trial comparing Keytruda to High Dose Interferon.  If I don't do the trial my options are high dose intereferon or watch and wait.  Ipi is not approved in Canada for stage III.

Any thoughts on next steps?

Thanks,
      ​Stacie

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mamapegela
        Participant

Hi Stacie-

I too had a left neck CLND in May and my sypmtoms are very similar to yours.  My ability to raise my left arm is slowly improving but it has a long way to go.  I have the lopsided lower lip too.  My surgeon told me that up to 50% of people who have a neck dissection will end up with shoulder dysfunction.  She said to give it a full year to improve and at that point it probably is the best that it will be.

Are you going to PT?  I do my exercises every day too but PT has been really important.  I was going three times a week but now am back at work so am only going 2 times a week now.

I am stage 3C and have just enrolled in the S1404 study which compares either high dose interferon or ipi to pembro (Ketruda).  I still need to have scans to prove continued NED.  I will do the ipi if that is the arm I get in to because from what I have read and understand the interferon has not proven to be very beneficial and it is very hard to tolerate for a year.

All the best to you as you make decisions for your next step, and I hope your symptoms improve.  Take heart- there are many out there who are going through the same thing and wish you well.

slouttit
            Participant

HI Landover,

Thank you for your reply.  My lopsided lower lip and shoulder dysfunction after my CNLD are improving so that is a relief.  I hope yours is improving also. 

I too enrolled in the S1404 study but because ipi is not approved for stage 3 in Canada, the trial here compares only interferon to pembro.  Unfortunately I drew the interferon arm.  I went forward with interferon but only last one week as I couldn't handle the adverse side effects.  Which arm did you get and how is it going?

Stacie

slouttit
              Participant

Hi Peggy, 

After asking about your trial, I read your bio and now have my answer.  I'm sorry the trial didn't work out for you and that you are in limbo.  That's how I feel too.  I've seen a few different docs and some say "watch and wait" is best for me, while others recommend I be more proactive.  So I may look into other trials and take if from there.  

Stacie

Mamapegela
                Participant

Hi Stacie-

I hope things are going well for you.  Please keep us informed.  We are in very similar circumstances. I'll be thinking of you.

Peggy

Mamapegela
                  Participant

Hi Stacie-

I hope things are going well for you.  Please keep us informed.  We are in very similar circumstances. I'll be thinking of you.

Peggy

Mamapegela
                    Participant

Hi Stacie-

Peggy

slouttit
                      Participant

Hi Peggy, 

After asking about your trial, I read your bio and now have my answer.  I'm sorry the trial didn't work out for you and that you are in limbo.  That's how I feel too.  I've seen a few different docs and some say "watch and wait" is best for me, while others recommend I be more proactive.  So I may look into other trials and take if from there.  

Stacie

slouttit
                        Participant

Hi Peggy, 

Stacie

slouttit
                          Participant

HI Landover,

Thank you for your reply.  My lopsided lower lip and shoulder dysfunction after my CNLD are improving so that is a relief.  I hope yours is improving also. 

I too enrolled in the S1404 study but because ipi is not approved for stage 3 in Canada, the trial here compares only interferon to pembro.  Unfortunately I drew the interferon arm.  I went forward with interferon but only last one week as I couldn't handle the adverse side effects.  Which arm did you get and how is it going?

Stacie

slouttit
                            Participant

HI Landover,

Stacie

Mamapegela
                            Participant

Hi Stacie-

I too had a left neck CLND in May and my sypmtoms are very similar to yours.  My ability to raise my left arm is slowly improving but it has a long way to go.  I have the lopsided lower lip too.  My surgeon told me that up to 50% of people who have a neck dissection will end up with shoulder dysfunction.  She said to give it a full year to improve and at that point it probably is the best that it will be.

Are you going to PT?  I do my exercises every day too but PT has been really important.  I was going three times a week but now am back at work so am only going 2 times a week now.

I am stage 3C and have just enrolled in the S1404 study which compares either high dose interferon or ipi to pembro (Ketruda).  I still need to have scans to prove continued NED.  I will do the ipi if that is the arm I get in to because from what I have read and understand the interferon has not proven to be very beneficial and it is very hard to tolerate for a year.

All the best to you as you make decisions for your next step, and I hope your symptoms improve.  Take heart- there are many out there who are going through the same thing and wish you well.

Mamapegela
                              Participant

Hi Stacie-

Viewing 2 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics