The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

CLND

Participant

I scheduled surgery for May 15th….about 3 weeks from now to have a CLND and I'm trying to anticipate how much time I'll need to recover before heading back to work.  I teach 3rd grade and so it's not exactly a sitting around in an office sort of job.  🙂  Any ideas? 

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        MichelleRHG
        Participant
          The more you are up and around, the more your wound drains. Rest promotes healing with a CLND. My 1st surgeon did not tell me this but the 2nd one did and she was right! For my CLND of groin I had the surgical drain for 5 weeks which think is longer than average , but I did whatever I felt like after a couple of weeks. It wasn’t bad but the drain was a nuisance. I’m sure your surgeon will give you guidelines. Good luck!
          momof4boys
          Participant
            Im not sure of time lengths because I got an infection which required me to be admitted for 5 more days. So all of it together was probably rougher on me than others. But I agree about the drains. Mine were in for over 6 weeks. You could probably work during that time but have to hide the drains. I made a little pouch like apron thing. I cant remember but I dont think I felt like doing much for awhile. Maybe make accommodations in your classroom so you can sit more. I would definitely prop your leg when you get home.
              MovingOn
              Participant

Standard seems to be 6 weeks (not standard for the patient but standard from surgeons and disability insurance case managers). Some are longer and some patients want to go back after 2 weeks.

I was working 2 hours after my sentinel node dissection (evening conf call with China), but took 8 weeks after CLND of one side of the neck (additional complications were involved). I think that is why disability insurance only confirms things after the surgery is completed.

iskitwo
              Participant

I think it is very different for each person. I was back to work a week and a half later but mostly at a desk. I have to be up and down some and stairs too at work. It was not horrable but a little uncomfortable. The doctor removed my drain the day after surgery because it was up against a nerve and causing lots of pain. I did have a bit of fluid build up removed in the office due to the drain being pulled out so soon but it was a painless process. Best of luck to you!

SABKLYN
                Participant

It was about 8 weeks for me.  However, I had a humdinger of a post-op infection.

Viewing 3 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics