The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Clinical Trials and “Pre-Existing Conditions”

Forums General Melanoma Community Clinical Trials and “Pre-Existing Conditions”

Participant

Question for folks with experience with clinical trials.  What affect does the existence of pre-existing health conditions have on your chances of being selected for inclusion in a clinical trial?  Random list:  Seizure disorder/epilepsy (monthly AEDs), pernicious anemia (an auto-immune disorder treated with monthly B12 injections), severe allergies, hypothyroidism, rheumatoid arthritis (also an auto-immune disorder), sub-clinical asthma

Question for folks with experience with clinical trials.  What affect does the existence of pre-existing health conditions have on your chances of being selected for inclusion in a clinical trial?  Random list:  Seizure disorder/epilepsy (monthly AEDs), pernicious anemia (an auto-immune disorder treated with monthly B12 injections), severe allergies, hypothyroidism, rheumatoid arthritis (also an auto-immune disorder), sub-clinical asthma

Color me just curious.  I currently have some of the items on that list, and it has been suggested I may have some of the others.  I'm very curious what affect these pre-existing existing conditions could have on any clinical trial I may want to be on in the future.   Yes, I realize a lot depends on both on how the clinical trial is designed and the type of drug being tested.  However, I'm looking for general experiences people have had to date.

I would be so disappointed to be prevented from being part of one because of a pre-existing condition.  And not just because of the lost treatment option.  This may sound corny, but I really, truly believe, deep in my heart of hearts, it is my Christian duty participate in any clinical trial I can.  I was so very disappointed when my oncologist told me there were no clinical trials available in our state for which I fit the criteria.  If I ever get a recurrence, I'll be transferring my care to one of the major melanoma centers, and I will be looking not just for treatment trials, but also for the trials that collect information, such as DNA, etc.  I really believe the only way we're ever going to beat this horrible, malicious disease is if everyone who can, does.  And when I'm gone, if they want my body or any portion of it for medical research, they're welcome to it.  (Yes, when the time comes, that will be a discussion I'll have with my medical team.)

Stage IIIb, 2 years NED

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        nickmac56
        Participant

if you go to clinicaltrials.gov you can find all the clinical trials avaiable (and search by whatever criteria you want – just use melanoma and you'll get them all) and you can scroll down the description to the inclusions and exclusions. We got excluded from the NIH clinical trials for seizures.

nickmac56
          Participant

if you go to clinicaltrials.gov you can find all the clinical trials avaiable (and search by whatever criteria you want – just use melanoma and you'll get them all) and you can scroll down the description to the inclusions and exclusions. We got excluded from the NIH clinical trials for seizures.

mom3girlsFL
            Participant

When I was battling a recurrence last year, lymph groin, I went to Moffit – Dr Jeff Weber, for a second opinion.  I have dealt with anemia and have an auto immune disease.  His consult basically was that I qualified for no clinical trials due to the auto immune disease and any oncologist that would even consider putting me on interferon should be shot.

After returning to my onc, sharing the info, and deciding with my hubby, we did interferon anyway.  The first week was horrid and my interferon dosage was adjusted.  Long story short my interferon had to be strictly monitored and I came on and off a few times due to low blood count.  I, unfortunately, had another recurrance in my second month of self injection so it was decided to remove me from interferon.  I am currently NED and "watch and wait".

It scares me to think my options may be limited and/or exclude me in the future, but I also think, with my onc, I would be able to "push the limits" if needed.  Maybe wishful thinking? let's hope I won't need to find out!

Hope this helps.

Laurie

mom3girlsFL
              Participant

When I was battling a recurrence last year, lymph groin, I went to Moffit – Dr Jeff Weber, for a second opinion.  I have dealt with anemia and have an auto immune disease.  His consult basically was that I qualified for no clinical trials due to the auto immune disease and any oncologist that would even consider putting me on interferon should be shot.

After returning to my onc, sharing the info, and deciding with my hubby, we did interferon anyway.  The first week was horrid and my interferon dosage was adjusted.  Long story short my interferon had to be strictly monitored and I came on and off a few times due to low blood count.  I, unfortunately, had another recurrance in my second month of self injection so it was decided to remove me from interferon.  I am currently NED and "watch and wait".

It scares me to think my options may be limited and/or exclude me in the future, but I also think, with my onc, I would be able to "push the limits" if needed.  Maybe wishful thinking? let's hope I won't need to find out!

Hope this helps.

Laurie

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics