The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Clinical Trials

Forums General Melanoma Community Clinical Trials

Participant

Hi All,

I’m considering a clinical trial (Pembro+T-Vec or Pembro+placebo). Is there a way to

find out what follow up is provided by the trial (e.g. scans) and if I can still use my insurance for additional scans if I feel that I need more. Also, if a better treatment option presents itself in the future, how long is the commitment to the first trial?

i believe that clinical trials provide very good follow up, so please interpret my questions in that regard. Also, I am a person of my word so I don’t want to break my commitment if a justifiably better treatment comes along.

(Note: I looked at the clinical trial summary but it didn’t cover the follow up aspects only the medications.

thank you

Danny

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        MovingOn
        Participant

Figured it out. The trial covers the medications but normal insurance is used for continual/periodic scans. If additional scans are needed beyond what insurance will come get then sometimes the trial will cover them. 

I’m all set.

Danny

Bubbles
          Participant

Be sure to talk to the trial coordinator.  They should be able to give  you a great deal of information.  Your insurance (or you) could possibly be billed for lab fees, doctor visits, institution fees (like for the time you are in the infusion center), any tubing, syringes, etc that are used….basically anything except for the trial drugs and scans/labs that are strictily "trial related".  In other words, if they categorize the item as something that is 'standard of care' you could be responsible for it.  Some trials cover many more expenses than others.  But, for me…even prenancy tests every time I got an infusion were something that I (or my insurance) had to cover – though when in the world that is something that is standard procedure for melanoma, I'll never know.  So, talk to the coordinator and read the fine print on your contract.

As far as the binding nature of a trial – your trial papers should say that you can quit anytime you like.  Of course how committed you feel you are is personal as well as physical and financial.  Additionally, should you wish to quit to join a different trial….be super sure that the therapy from your first trial is NOT an exclusion for the next trial BEFORE you quit the first one.  Elsewise, you could be left hanging with no treatment options.

I wish you well.  celeste

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics