The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Clear margins

Forums General Melanoma Community Clear margins

Participant

I got the report back on the skin that was excised to remove the mole and it says the margins were cleared. I asked if the depth was found to be anything other than the .6mm that the intitial biospsy stated, but the nurse said the report didn't contain any information about depth. This confused me since I thought I was going to learn the definitive depth. I asked to speak to the doctor and was told I would have to wait until the end of the day when he's done seeing patients. 

I got the report back on the skin that was excised to remove the mole and it says the margins were cleared. I asked if the depth was found to be anything other than the .6mm that the intitial biospsy stated, but the nurse said the report didn't contain any information about depth. This confused me since I thought I was going to learn the definitive depth. I asked to speak to the doctor and was told I would have to wait until the end of the day when he's done seeing patients. 

My paranoia is making me think the doctor doesn't want to tell me the bad news, but it could also be that there is no bad news and that's why he feels no rush to put me before his other patients. He's going to call me, supposedly, at the end of the day, but right now I'm confused. Can I take comfort from the fact that the margins were cleared or is that irrelevant if other factors are bad? I can't wait until I'm finished with this doctor.

Steve

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Steve,

That is great news!!!   A shave is only a bad thing if they find in the wide excision melanoma cells.  They did not find any in yours so your depth is .6mm

The problem with a shave is if they don't get it all they really can't add the additional depth with the depth of the original, they can only do an educated guess. You had nothing in the margins so you are good.

Many get shaves on their face because of cosmetic reasons.  You've now learned a lesson and thankfully it didn't hurt.

This really was good news!

Linda

6 primaries since 79

Currently NED 2 weeks  Stage IV  since 06

StevenK
            Participant

Thank you, Linda. You filled in the information that I was lacking and made me feel much better. I've read your story and I pray you stay NED indefinitely.

Steve

StevenK
              Participant

Thank you, Linda. You filled in the information that I was lacking and made me feel much better. I've read your story and I pray you stay NED indefinitely.

Steve

lhaley
              Participant

Steve,

That is great news!!!   A shave is only a bad thing if they find in the wide excision melanoma cells.  They did not find any in yours so your depth is .6mm

The problem with a shave is if they don't get it all they really can't add the additional depth with the depth of the original, they can only do an educated guess. You had nothing in the margins so you are good.

Many get shaves on their face because of cosmetic reasons.  You've now learned a lesson and thankfully it didn't hurt.

This really was good news!

Linda

6 primaries since 79

Currently NED 2 weeks  Stage IV  since 06

MichaelFL
                Participant

Based on your post, that is what it seems, that the depth of .6 mm Breslow of the original biopsy is correct. Discuss and verify the depth margin as well as lateral (or side margins) are clear after the second surgery (the WLE- or wide local excision) with the doc when they call.

Michael

MichaelFL
                  Participant

Based on your post, that is what it seems, that the depth of .6 mm Breslow of the original biopsy is correct. Discuss and verify the depth margin as well as lateral (or side margins) are clear after the second surgery (the WLE- or wide local excision) with the doc when they call.

Michael

StevenK
                    Participant

My doctor called back and confirmed that the .6mm was correct and all margins were clear. He said I couldn't have asked for a better report. I guess he's not as bad of a doctor as I'm making him sound. Everything could have happened a month earlier, though, if he hadn't said the mole that turned out to be mm was fine when I first went in. I went back to him as soon as I realized the cryro-freeze he sprayed on it wasn't doing anything. Thank God I was vigilent about it.

I'm lucky for now, I guess, but I have a feeling I haven't seen the last of mm. I spent a lot of time in the sun when I was younger. I'm going to see an onc anyway. May God guide and protect and comfort us all.

Steve

StevenK
                      Participant

My doctor called back and confirmed that the .6mm was correct and all margins were clear. He said I couldn't have asked for a better report. I guess he's not as bad of a doctor as I'm making him sound. Everything could have happened a month earlier, though, if he hadn't said the mole that turned out to be mm was fine when I first went in. I went back to him as soon as I realized the cryro-freeze he sprayed on it wasn't doing anything. Thank God I was vigilent about it.

I'm lucky for now, I guess, but I have a feeling I haven't seen the last of mm. I spent a lot of time in the sun when I was younger. I'm going to see an onc anyway. May God guide and protect and comfort us all.

Steve

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics