The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

chemoembolization

Forums General Melanoma Community chemoembolization

Participant

Does anyone know if chemoembolization would help for many small liver tumors.  We have 50 and the largest is 1.6 cm  Help..Margaret

Does anyone know if chemoembolization would help for many small liver tumors.  We have 50 and the largest is 1.6 cm  Help..Margaret

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        edamaser
        Participant

Margaret,

What are the choices?  What does Dr. Sato say?

Esther

edamaser
          Participant

Margaret,

Esther

edamaser
            Participant

Margaret,

Esther

lak
              Participant

As I see it you have 3 options systemic therapy- ipilimumab pd1 but neither work quick enough that number of tumours would be out of control most likely before the immune system could respond.

Percutanous or intraheptatic perfusion available in US via a doctor called James Pingbank – I think. This would perfuse the whole liver but I think you need to do it more than once and it makes you sick

SIRT – selective internal radiation theraspheres sirspheres two trade names of same product. Availble widely in US the name I know is DR Charles Nutting of Co, It would treat the whole liver and should penetrate well that size of lesion. Left overs could be mopped up with ablation.

So one of the last 2 would be the best option. Persue both simultaneously as time is short.

Lesley

margaretrogers57
                  Participant

Got results of scan at 1 month and the largest 2 are shrinking by 3 mm or so.  Don't know about the others yet.  Oncologist feels like this is working for us right now.  I feel it's a good option for us at present. Margaret

margaretrogers57
                    Participant

Got results of scan at 1 month and the largest 2 are shrinking by 3 mm or so.  Don't know about the others yet.  Oncologist feels like this is working for us right now.  I feel it's a good option for us at present. Margaret

margaretrogers57
                      Participant

margaretrogers57
                        Participant

We had y-90 and it showed no help.  We did rt. lobe in jan. and left lobe in march.  I think it's in God's hands now.  Margaret

margaretrogers57
                          Participant

We had y-90 and it showed no help.  We did rt. lobe in jan. and left lobe in march.  I think it's in God's hands now.  Margaret

margaretrogers57
                            Participant

lak
                            Participant

As I see it you have 3 options systemic therapy- ipilimumab pd1 but neither work quick enough that number of tumours would be out of control most likely before the immune system could respond.

Percutanous or intraheptatic perfusion available in US via a doctor called James Pingbank – I think. This would perfuse the whole liver but I think you need to do it more than once and it makes you sick

SIRT – selective internal radiation theraspheres sirspheres two trade names of same product. Availble widely in US the name I know is DR Charles Nutting of Co, It would treat the whole liver and should penetrate well that size of lesion. Left overs could be mopped up with ablation.

So one of the last 2 would be the best option. Persue both simultaneously as time is short.

Lesley

lak
                              Participant

Lesley

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics